Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 10:27:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thoughts on my current order, and future setup. (Read 2306 times)
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Thoughts on my current order, and future setup.
01/23/22 at 23:09:48

I recently ordered the following: ZP3 phono stage, film caps, w/ poly bypass anniversary mod, TORII MKV, stepped attenuators, w/ copper bypass anniversary mod, and a ZROCK2 w/ poly bypass anni mod.

Those were all the mods I could afford, and I just want to ensure that I picked the best ones.

I'll be running everything through a pair of vintage, albeit recapped Norman Laboratories Model 9 full range speakers, and a Pro-ject RM-5.1SE with a Sumiku Blue Point no. 2 MC cart. I'm only interested in listening to records through my hifi, so I don't have any digital components to mention.

I'm currently running the aforementioned through a 63 Sherwood s5000II tube amp and love it, but am just looking for something with more liquidity and 3 dimensional imaging. The Sherwood's phono stage is a bit lacking, so I'm using a custom-built SUT to give the Blue Point a bit of a boost. Not sure if I'll need to use it with the Decware rig.

I sent Steve an email and he confirmed that the configuration I ordered should work really well with my Norman Labs. A lot of people are running newer speakers, and I'd love to hear from folks pushing vintage speakers! I'd also love to hear any thoughts, or comments on the setup I ordered.

The Sherwood's currently in the shop getting a new volume pot soldered in. The carbon pathways have deteriorated on the old one, which resulted in a 3-8db difference in the right channel. Drove me nuts. Since I have nothing to listen to, I'll just have to talk about audio on webforums.

Thanks!

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Re: Thoughts on my current order, and future setup.
Reply #1 - 01/24/22 at 02:16:11

Welcome! It sounds like you will start your Decware journey with some fantastic gear! As I don't have the gear you ordered, nor do I have any anniversary modded gear (yet), I can't advise from personal experience on your choices. From what I've read in the forums, I would have likely made the same choices as you. In fact, I did order a SE84UFO recently that will have the copper bypass mod.

I currently have an SE84C+, Mini Torii, and ZP1. Like you, I listen almost entirely to vinyl. I can't comment on the difference between the ZP3 you ordered and the ZP1 I have, but I can only imagine you will be very pleased considering how good the ZP1 sounds. Since you are running an MC cart, I would imagine you will still use your SUT. I run vintage MM carts (Grace F-8, Shure V15, etc..., so the ZP1 has plenty of gain for me.

I haven't heard the Sherwood s5000 so don't know exactly how the Decware will compare, but I have been extremely happy with the SE84C+ and Mini Torii. I have used my MT extensively with a pair of Yamaha NS-1000M speakers (vintage for sure) and been pleased. It was in a smaller listening room, so got plenty loud. I am doubtful it would do the same in a large venue, but the Yammies never sounded so good. The MT delivered great control and tone to them up to volumes too loud for the room. I have an affinity for vintage gear of all kinds, and especially vintage speakers. I assume the Torii V you ordered will sound amazing on the Normans with more than enough power.

I hope you get your Sherwood back soon so you can pass the time waiting on your Decware gear. I have been piecing myself system(s) together for years and I can say, Decware is worth the wait.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/24/22 at 04:38:14

Right on, man! Glad to hear I'm not the only one into vintage gear! Glad to hear you're enjoying your rig, and that you you've got new goodies incoming.

I'm excited to get into Decware, as the community seems great, the gear is killer, and its architect (Steve) is a cool guy who's ultra knowledgeable, and best of all, approachable!

IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/24/22 at 21:38:50

Greetings,

I have a SE84UFO2.1 on order, can't wait.
For some reason the order changed from SE84UFO2 to SE84UFO2.1 not sure what the difference might be, I will have to look it up.

This will run on Ditton 66 vintage speakers.
And a pair of custom made barrel type open baffles Lii F15.

Currently this is running on vintage Quad 33 and a pair of Quad 303 amp bridged into mono, and for good measure a Quad FM3 radio.

Like you this system is dedicated to vinyl but I have to admit somedays I am tempted by vintage R2R...

I do have a little Oppo 970 hidden in the cabinet in case someone would want to use a CD or watch a movie on that system.

Cheers,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Quad mono 303 (x2) + 33 + FM3.
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Thorens TD160 MKII + SME III tonearm. Ortophon OM10.
Oppo CD/DVD.
Celestion Ditton 66 studio.
Lii F15 in Betsy type OB.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/24/22 at 22:17:09

Very nice! Sounds like that'll be a killer setup! I'm not opposed to digital per se, but I mainly limit streaming for car use and such. Records keep me in the vibe of listening to albums as singular pieces, rather than the piecemeal grab and go nature of streaming.

I'm sure there are lots of folks stream albums in their entirety, I'm just not one of them. It's too easy to skip over the boring stuff. With records, sometimes the boring stuff ends up
Becoming my favorite stuff!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 01/24/22 at 23:32:28

That's why I spin cds. LPs too, but maybe only 5 percent of the time. I don't stream.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/25/22 at 02:00:53

I'd love to try R2R someday, but I find vinyl to be a great balance of quality sound at reasonable price. From what I've seen R2R has gotten ridiculous on the cost for players and tapes. Quality vinyl, turntables, and cart can be put together reasonably, especially when one puts together vintage, and the sound is fantastic! I do occasionally listen to CDs as well, but rarely.

I only stream when I am away from home and don't have access to my system/ vinyl. My preference is mostly for the sound, but also the experience of listening to complete albums and feeling more connected to the music.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/25/22 at 02:43:21

Yeah r2r seems awesome, but it's out of my wheelhouse. But I will say that the resurge in records is quite refreshing. I never thought I'd see the day where I could go grocery shopping and pick up a couple records on the way to the checkout counter.

IP Logged
Eboogie101
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 01/26/22 at 06:41:22

Your order sounds terrific. I would really just recommend putting as much effort as you can into your room. Your gear will be good to go for the next 40 years.

Have fun!

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/27/22 at 02:27:30

Yes, I 100% need to do that. My room is very strangely shaped. I'm
Probably going to need advice in the room setup forum. Haha.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print