Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 08:21:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Beyerdynamic T1.2 opinions??? (Read 4144 times)
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Beyerdynamic T1.2 opinions???
01/21/22 at 22:13:44

This is an after the fact question... anyone try the Beyerdynamic T1.2 headphones??

I had Sennheiser 800 (not the 800s).  They were good but I ended up selling them for two reasons, 1) After getting my Omega speakers I did not end up using them much and 2) after moving the system to another room I need a longer cable and din't feel like investing in something that I was not using.

Now I'm waiting for my new custom Omegas and I came across a deal, at least I thought it was.  I found quite a divergence of opinion on these so much so that, for the price, curiosity got the better of me.

Also my wife says that what I consider low level listening at night and what most sane people consider low level listening are two different things.  So she once again encouraged me to get headphones. (love that woman!)

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Re: Beyerdynamic T1.2 opinions???
Reply #1 - 01/28/22 at 13:28:03

I received my Beyerdynamic T1.2 headphones.  I also bought the Corpse Audio, Gravedigger balanced cables and the balanced to SE adapter the the seller had.  The cable is 15' long, 16' with the adapter.  The 15' is what I needed.  I had reason to contact Corpse Cable and found out that this cable is new!  Got a fantastic deal on the cables and T1's.

Plugged them into mCSP3 only to discover that the 1/4" jack doesn't work.  Long story short, I plugged the T1's into my ZDSD.  Wasn't sure if it would drive the T1.2 600 ohm.  It did and did it ever!  WOWWWW!  

Wasn't sure about getting the t1.2's after reading some of the negative reviews.  I have no idea what the negativity is about.  These are fantastic HP's.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/28/22 at 13:30:40

Forgot... the Corpse Cable, Grave Digger/Cardas wire cable is definitely an improvement over the cable that is supplied by Beyerdynamic T1.2.  Don't let the name put you off!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/29/22 at 17:54:51

Hey John, that’s great news! I’m glad you are happy.

I just picked up a used pair of Audeze LCD-4. Stunning with the CSP3, which really does these cans justice. The LCD-4 beats the living crap out of the LCD-3 and LCD-2 on every level and in between. No contest.

Enjoy your new phones John!

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/29/22 at 20:12:37

Glad you're enjoying the LCD4's.  I just ordered another adapter from corpse cable so that I will be able to use the 4 pin jack instead of the 1/4" jack on my CSP3.  The cable is old school, balanced which terminates int dual XLR's.  The new adapter is dual XLR to a single 4 male pin XLR.  

I hope to get my new Omegas next month.  In the meantime I have the T1.2's and the better 3/4's is very happy!  Happy Queen, happy Kingdom!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/06/22 at 19:24:20

Hey John,

How are your new Beyer's coming along?

Brad

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/07/22 at 19:43:43

Hey Brad,

Really good so far, very happy with them and the Corpse cables, but I have not had a chance to use them with the CSP3 yet, only with the ZDSD headphone output.  Actually I was surprised at how good that combo is.  Turns out that there was problem with the left channel headphone output on the CSP3.  it's on it's way back and I should get it in the next day or two.

At the same time I'll be getting my new Omega Vintage 8 HO's and the Wathern tubes that I ordered.  So, they'll be a lot of listening ahead.

IP Logged
Greg C

Reply #7 - 03/07/22 at 23:14:26

…the Audeze LCD-4 are a planar headphone … I did not know you could use them on a CSP3…thought you had to have a Taboo.

Greg

TORII JR
CSP3
ZP3
ZROCK
ZBIT
NAD C658 DAC
PIONEER RT-707
REGA PLANAR 6 / EXACT 2 MM
ERRx
SENNHEISER HD 800S
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/08/22 at 01:15:17

The instruction manual states that the CSP3 can be used with some planar headphones.  I've only used it with dynamic headphones.  First Sennheiser HD800 and now the Beyerdynamic T1.2.  Because I do not need low impedance headphones I prefer to use the high impedance type.

I think that Lon used OPPO headphones with it which are planar, not sure about that, perhaps he can comment.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 03/08/22 at 02:59:13

I used to own LCD-3 and used them with both a Taboo Mk III and a CSP2+. I have also used Oppo PM-1 with both of these--those are 32 ohm, easy to drive headphones. Very satisfying sound with all of the combinations! I have also used a pair of ZMF Ori with a CSP3 with the anniversary mods and they have great sound as well, though I usually use them with a PS Audio GCHA amp, and with my CSP3 I use Sennheiser HD800S--these two amp and headphone combos are the best fits.

I think your preamp will drive the LCD-4 quite well indeed.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/08/22 at 15:38:02

Quote:
Hey Brad,

Really good so far, very happy with them and the Corpse cables, but I have not had a chance to use them with the CSP3 yet, only with the ZDSD headphone output.  Actually I was surprised at how good that combo is.  Turns out that there was problem with the left channel headphone output on the CSP3.  it's on it's way back and I should get it in the next day or two.

At the same time I'll be getting my new Omega Vintage 8 HO's and the Wathern tubes that I ordered.  So, they'll be a lot of listening ahead.
That's great news, really glad to hear that. Enjoy!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/08/22 at 15:43:22

Quote:
…the Audeze LCD-4 are a planar headphone … I did not know you could use them on a CSP3…thought you had to have a Taboo.

Greg

I checked with Steve before purchasing. A-OK. 200ohms is no problem for the CSP3.

Sounds unbelievable.....scratch that -- it's beyond ridiculously stupendous. An endless hard-on.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/08/22 at 21:45:21

Quote:

Hey John, looking forward to your impressions of your new Omegas, as well as a comparison between your typical tube set in the CSP3 and amp vs. the Cryotone tubes.

I assume that included was a Cryotone 5AR4? I do wonder how that competes with your beloved Philips Miniwatt GZ34 metal base!

Thanks! Brad

IP Logged
Greg C

Reply #13 - 03/08/22 at 23:07:17

….thanks guys …I did not know that….now I can broaden my horizons a little more on my next set of cans

Greg

TORII JR
CSP3
ZP3
ZROCK
ZBIT
NAD C658 DAC
PIONEER RT-707
REGA PLANAR 6 / EXACT 2 MM
ERRx
SENNHEISER HD 800S
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 03/09/22 at 12:23:24

I got my CSP3-A back yesterday.  This morning I plugged the BD T1.2 into the 1/4" jack then I plugged them into the 4 pin XLR to see if there would be much of a difference. Steve said that there would be and so did Corpse Cable.   There definitely was.  The 4 pin giving a significantly better result.  I recommend configuring your CSP3 with the 4 pin  option.

I was able to do this because I ordered a 4 pin adapter for the Corpse cable that I got with my Beyerdynamic T1.2.  The Corpse cable that I got with the T1.2s is a balanced cable with dual 3 pin XLR terminations.  If the headphone amp or in this case the pre amp does not have 3 pin XLR balanced plugs you will need an adapter, dual 3 pin to 1/4" or dual 3 pin to 4 pin XLR.  Mine came with the dual 3 pin to 1/4" adapter.  I ordered the 4 pin adapter because the 1/4" jack wouldn't work with the 1/4" plug on the CSP3-A.  We thought it was a plug/jack tolerance issue.  It wasn't.  Had it not been for that problem in the left channel headphone output of the CSP3-A I would not have ordered the 4 pin adapter.

So looking back on this experience I would sum it up with the words "bitter sweet".  Come to think of it, those words kinda sum up my 47 years of experience with this... hobby.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 03/09/22 at 13:08:13

Another comparison.  The ZDSD 1/4 headphone output versus the CSP3-A 4 pin XLR output.  The ZDSD headphone circuit is very good, in fact, I was surprised at how good it is with the BD T1.2's.  The CSP3-A... no contest!

It's a good thing the Corpse cable is 15' long.  Can't sit still with the BD 2.1's plugged into the CSP3-A 4 pin XLR output.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/14/22 at 13:58:56

Hey John, looking forward to your impressions of your new Omegas, as well as a comparison between your typical tube set in the CSP3 and amp vs. the Cryotone tubes.

I assume that included was a Cryotone 5AR4? I do wonder how that competes with your beloved Philips Miniwatt GZ34 metal base!

Thanks! Brad

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/14/22 at 16:29:40

Hey Brad, I posted my 20 some hour impressions of the Omega 8 HO and these are turning out to be killer speakers!  Eventually I'll post a review.

I expect to get the Wathen tubes sometime this week.  Yes I did order the 5AR4 to compare with the Miniwatt/Philips GZ34 Metal Base.  It's getting to be next to impossible to find good ones at a sane price!  These are supposed to last for a long time but you never know and I would like to have a back up just in case.

I also ordered a pair of EL84's among others).  Curious to see how they compare to the 6P15P-EV that have the advantage of the "Hazen Grid Mod".

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/14/22 at 19:11:13

Hey John, thanks for the update.

I did read your early impressions on the Omegas. I'm glad to know you've found something that works in your new room. Louis is on top of his game.

Speaking of Louis.....when I told him which model I was going for after explaining my room, he said that was the very model he was going to recommend [Omega Jr. XRS 8 customized with single ALNICO driver]. I guess was just lucky, LOL

Anyway, can''t wait to hear about the Cryotones  [smiley=icqlite20.png]

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print