Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 11:15:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Surge Protector advice (Read 1690 times)
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Surge Protector advice
12/21/21 at 00:11:47

Contemplating getting a better surge protector, as my equipment has gotten quite a bit more expensive.  Right now I am running a Tripp-Lite "Protect It".

I've seen the Furman Power Station spoken about positively.  Thoughts/advice?

Eventually I'd like to add a Zen Line Conditioner, but I've exceeded my audio budget for the year.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Surge Protector advice
Reply #1 - 12/21/21 at 01:17:32

I have used a relatively inexpensive 8 outlet Audio Brickwall for quite a few years. I find its filter nicely transparent, while being a good surge protector that is not supposed to limit power. I have upgraded mine over the years with better outlets, a nicer AC plug, and a Shunyata Defender filter added later..... but was surprisingly happy with it from the start.

I used it for my whole setup for quite a while, the computer and DAC plugged into an unswitched receptacle and the rest controlled by the unit's switch, using it for my system switch.

Now I have a nicely made Balanced power supply from a Chinese seller that I modified a little, and it feeding my modified PSAudio P5. Especially the P5 needed some cleaning up for me... too colored and veiled stock, but pretty nice with a specially made cable, good feet, a Furutech IEC inlet, better receptacles, and replacing some slide on connectors with soldered connections. The reason I had to go for the regenerator  was to regulate irregular voltage that notably changed the sound of my Decware.... not horrible, but for a pretty serious tuner, when a volt or two could change the sound, more voltage fuller/darker, and less leaner/more open, and the voltage generally starting high here so tending toward thick, once I figured out what was happening, I was glad to move toward a more stable sound to tune from. Add 1-3 volt swings over days, our power was just a pain for adjusting my system. So I use this arrangement for my main audio components.

These days I am using the Brickwall for my computer, DACs, and other front end things. To me the Brickwall could be a little touch smoother, but is not restrictive or veiled, and has always been the most "not there" sounding for the precious front end to me. I got this quite a few years ago, and I am not sure how the new ones sound, but they look the same, and this has been my experience anyway.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
__Jon__
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/21/21 at 03:31:32

I have had good results with Zero Surge equipment.  Their stuff is licensed and used by other manufacturers, for instance in the Torus Power toroidal transformer / power conditioner that I use.  I also used a two outlet Zero Surge to provide surge protection for a Decware ZLC I bought for my sister.

IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/22/21 at 03:04:31

I've used a Brick Wall for years as well, 15 IIRC. I believe, as Jon mentioned, the design is licensed by Zero Surge. Good product.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 12/22/21 at 03:26:00

The problem with the Tripp-Lite "Protect It" is the cord and the receptacles.  Both will hamper sound quality.  As for spike protection, it protects just fine.

Get a Tripp-Lite "ISO-500" and you will hear a big improvement and gain more protection.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print