Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:09:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
6922 Tubes - Replace as matched sets? (Read 1725 times)
Andrew77
Verified Member

Music heals the soul

6922 Tubes - Replace as matched sets?
12/13/21 at 23:56:15

Last week I started getting some hissing and squealing from my left channel of a Torii MKIV that is 6 months old, purchased new.  Not sure it's the only problem, but I identified the input tube on that channel to have a problem.  Should I replace as a matched set, or is that only critical for output tubes?

How did I determine input tube was in need of replacement?  I had examined each of the tubes while in operation.  Looking for irregularities or differences in color and temperature.  After some research I was directed to very lightly tap the tube.  When I tapped the 6922 input tube on the left channel I got distinct sounds from the speaker.  Everything other rube that was tapped had no distinguishable difference.   I removed the tube to inspect and one of the connections from the pin to a lead wire looks suspect.  None of the pins are loose.

I plan to purchase the direct replacement(s) from Decware.  Any other options I should consider?  I am not looking to drastically alter the sound of my amp yet, I'm very happy with the setup and focusing on improving the room conditions for the first couple years.

Finally, any additional help / documentation on troubleshooting tubes, I am very interested.  I was not expecting the first tubes to replace would be input tubes.

Thank you,
Andrew

The Zen TORII MK4 // WiiM Pro Plus /w Tidal // Klipsch RP-600M
WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: 6922 Tubes - Replace as matched sets?
Reply #1 - 12/14/21 at 00:31:47

When I have anomalies with my ZMA (or other preamps) I often end up swapping tubes around until I find a tube that the problem follows.  Just replacing all the tubes might make the most sense but I'm poor and I find that sometimes a single tube just fails.  Most recently I've had two separate output tubes fail in two different quads (well used).  In those cases the bad tube was easy to spot since it was sparking inside!  That said, when I examine the tube I can't see anything wrong inside.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
__Jon__
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/14/21 at 02:30:29

I also don’t have a firm grasp on what situations require perfectly balanced tubes and to what degree matching matters in the various circuits. Some places I’ve read said 10-20% difference is ok in driver tubes (which seems kind of not matched to me).  I have always tried to acquire tubes that are well matched and as balanced as possible, but it would be nice to know if / when tight matching isn’t as important. I suspect Steve would give a helpful recommendation for your situation,  if asked.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 12/14/21 at 03:06:10

My experience is the best way to troubleshoot tube problems is to move them around and see if the trouble follows the tube. And sometimes just reseating a tube is enough to make trouble go away, at least for awhile.

As for replacing with a matched pair vs. a single tube I would say that ideally yes, you are better off with a new matched pair. But, again just my experience so FWIW/YMMV, I don't recall ever noticing any sort of issue when just replacing a single input tube. Power tubes are a (potentially) different story.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Andrew77
Verified Member

Music heals the soul

Reply #4 - 12/15/21 at 23:59:52

Thank you everyone for sharing your experience on this.   Smiley

The Zen TORII MK4 // WiiM Pro Plus /w Tidal // Klipsch RP-600M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print