Send Topic Print
Listening Rooms (Read 3821 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Listening Rooms
12/11/21 at 02:12:34

The overwhelming plague of hi-end audio is the listening room.  It's beyond an epedemic problem when you begin to really understand its effect on sound quality, imaging focus, and sound stage depth, width and height.

The number one reason rooms are an issue is because we want sound where we live... in our home... in our living room where we spend our time.  Plus it's not like most of us have a house with extra rooms although some of us do and perhaps don't even realize it.

So really we need to understand that a more casual fun approach to listening in your living space is a valid way to enjoy high end audio and many of us do.  At the same time a dedicated listening space with some attention to acoustics will change the focus of the stereo from a passive wall decoration that makes nice sound to a recreation of the even't complete with all the 3D positioning in space of the actual instruments... more like watching a movie with all the lights down.

As you can see these are two different experiences. If we spend too much on the hifi gear and exceed the potential of the rooms ability to accurately reproduce recordings it becomes like buying a sports car and driving it with four of those tiny temporary spare tires...  but hey, the car looks good... just like the one with real wheels. You can assume that if the manufacture knew you were going to take the wheels off and install emergency spares, they would have probably sold you a different car.

If you are interested in a more serious room there may be hope for some of you.  Here are two possibilities

I have made dedicated listening rooms out of un-used bedrooms in order to explore what is possible with both the gear and the music itself. There is no TV, no couch, just a chair and two speakers surrounded by 6 treated surfaces. These are fun rooms to create because they have only one purpose and become like escape pods.  People don't realize that when walls are diffused they handle SPL better and make the walls sonically vanish so the room size becomes as large as the recording space was.

A completely valid approach if you have land, is to put up a free standing 10 x 17 wooden garage/shed like we did for this years DECFEST.  Total cost was around 5 grand delivered.  All that had to be done was install fiberglass insulation in the walls in strategic locations.  The floor is hard, the ceiling is soft with a 16 foot bass trap down the center that naturally occurs when you insulate the peak.

To make it a room for hotter and colder climates install a mini-split and and foil backed foam board in the areas where you see no insulation.

Anyway, while it looks simple, it has the right dimensions and minimal but well executed treatment that you won't find in your house... like the absence of drywall, or plaster on the walls and ceiling. The simple construction and being a free standing structure the low bass energy moves through the walls and is not reflected back inside the room nearly as much as house. This means the building itself is a bass trap. The trapping in the ceiling was created to absorb mid-bass frequencies on up.

I really enjoy listening in this room compared to the bigger listening room in our shop. For one thing everything is at least 3dB louder which is like getting a second Zen Triode amplifier for free.  The immediacy, slamb and overall frequency balance are very very good.  This room is so pleasing to listen in that I could easily do all of my listening out there without secretly craving the fancy room in the shop.

Again, the free standing thing is deceptively simple and will take a lot more effort and money to re-create in your home.

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Listening Rooms
Reply #1 - 12/11/21 at 02:26:40

Quote:
So really we need to understand that a more casual fun approach to listening in your living space is a valid way to enjoy high end audio and many of us do.

Yes!  If the space isn't convenient and inviting, it won't get used no matter how good the sound is.  I'd rather have 80% of great sound 100% of the time then 100% great sound 20% of the time.

This philosophy is why my gun safe is in my bedroom and not my detached garage!  Good thing I'm single.   Grin

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/11/21 at 03:52:49

Steve, my dedicated 10x12 room is remarkably similar....a soft ceiling, fully carpeted on top of rubberized waffle padding [as per your strong recommendation], the walls are just painted paneling over studding all arpund with open space behind for the most part. A single leather recliner chair with little else other than a tiny open faced simple computer desk at the rear....and well treated all around.

What does it all do? The treatment is everything and makes the room seem 5x larger.

I like the room.....being a dedicated escape module, I sit back and listen in the dark, focused only on the music and the glowing tubes. No other inputs, no idiotic BS to distract and irritate which includes no other person. The wife respects my requirements this way. If she didnt, she'd be gone. With the temporary 40w amp I have in place of the now long since sold Taboo MK 4, I enjoy great bombastic sound at realistic live listening levels when desired. The Taboo @ 3.2w just couldn't cut it in the final analysis.....Now just casually waiting on the Torii MK 5 for a final mind meld.....

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/11/21 at 03:59:16

Quote:
This philosophy is why my gun safe is in my bedroom and not my detached garage!  Good thing I'm single.   Grin

Nice! After all, happiness IS a warm gun  ;D

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 12/11/21 at 05:11:28

Quote:
The Taboo @ 3.2w just couldn't cut it in the final analysis.....Now just casually waiting on the Torii MK 5 for a final mind meld.....

Ohhh, that's going to be fun.  It's a nice upgrade.  You went from drone to a ship.  Your room treatment will be tested : )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/11/21 at 14:02:15

Quote:
Ohhh, that's going to be fun.  It's a nice upgrade.  You went from drone to a ship.  Your room treatment will be tested : )

Steve
I'm really excited about your fantastic new amp. Especially how it will make love with the Omega 6.5" single driver tower ALNICO's and Bryston BDA-3 DAC. I intend to strap myself in be transported.

And looking forward to testing the treatments....adjustments, if applicable, will somehow be made as necessary. The escape module will always pervade.  [smiley=icqlite20.png]

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/11/21 at 17:33:54

Quote:
Especially how it will make love with the Omega 6.5" single driver tower ALNICO's and Bryston BDA-3 DAC.

LOL!  You'd better go and read the article Lon posted a week ago!   Roll Eyes

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #7 - 12/11/21 at 19:08:30

Archie, Do you have a link or reference to Lon's article?  I read a lot of what Lon writes, and was not sure which one you were suggesting.  Thanks.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/11/21 at 19:32:02

"Now just casually waiting on the Torii MK 5 for a final mind meld....."

Brad, I'm a little envious of your forthcoming Mk 5.
My MK 4  - w/ 25th mods - has reached the pinnacle of its development.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/11/21 at 19:38:42

It was a link he posted about people who imbue their objects (audio systems) with a fetish like obsession.  Like someone who gets sexually turned on by women's shoes type of thing.  If I'm remembering the jist.  Maybe Lon can repost it?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/11/21 at 19:48:11

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 12/11/21 at 20:05:37

That's it. (Tony, it's not something I wrote, just an article that was linked to on another audio board that I found thought-provoking).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #12 - 12/11/21 at 20:28:49

Got it.  Thanks Lon, Tommy & Archie.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Kev_In_Jax
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 12/29/21 at 19:53:26

Steve - we are building a home and will have a suite above the garage measuring 13’8” X 19’8” with a partially vaulted ceiling which I have designated my “Listening Room” much to my wife’s displeasure.  (We will have four other bedrooms including the Master and one as a mini-suite so we won’t be lacking for rooms, Ha). What is a good starting point for room treatment after the carpet and normal furnishings?  I am against putting a bed in here at present, perhaps just a chair/love seat in the listening position.  Equipment is as follows: SE84UFO, Tekton Design Lore Reference speakers, MoFi Electronics UltraDeck with MasterTracker cartridge, MoFi UltraPhono Phonostage, and Blue Jeans Cables for speaker and interconnects.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print