Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 19:44:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
what would you do? (Read 5261 times)
michaelG

what would you do?
12/07/21 at 03:43:16

Hello, I sold my solid state amp a few weeks ago since I did not use it for many month but now, unfortunately my tube amp just ‘died’.
No sound coming out of the right channel and one of the rectifier tube stays off (the tube works when I switch place).
I’m not sure If I want to fix this amp for the third time this year. I bought it 10+ years ago from china and between repairs and tubes I already spent more than what it cost me (maybe 2 / 3 times over).
Knowing that I’m currently around #550 on the waiting list for a ufo (probably another year + before receiving the amp). what would you do?
Have the old amp repaired?
Using spotify on your iphone until your receive the ufo?
Buy something else in the mean time? (maybe find a preowned ufo or a cheap amazon/ebay class d mini amp?)

all suggestions are welcome!

thank you!

michael

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Re: what would you do?
Reply #1 - 12/07/21 at 04:22:23

I would buy a used - known reliable tube amp that can be sold later for little to no loss.

IP Logged
michaelG

Reply #2 - 12/07/21 at 14:12:19

Indeed it looks like the best option. Any suggestion for amps around $1000?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 12/07/21 at 14:27:03

I've had a lot of fun playing around with a DALAUDIO amp, a chip amp/Gain Clone amp made about 50 miles from me in Westlake, Ohio. It has a very clear and tight sound that really is complimented by a Decware preamp and ZROCK2. It will be my backup amp and though it doesn't have the "rounded" tube sound of a Decware amp it's quite listenable  and enjoyable, a budget solid state amp of that nature is hard to find.

www.dalaudio.com

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/07/21 at 15:42:54

For under $500 you can purchase a Musical Paradise MP-301.  Outputs about 6.5 watts per channel and has some fairly good reviews.  Uses EL-34 tubes.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
michaelG

Reply #5 - 12/07/21 at 17:44:02

thanks for the suggestions!

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #6 - 12/07/21 at 18:33:02

I was in a similar situation as I waited for my Decware amp.  This may not be an acceptable option for some, but I purchased for around $350 a refurbished Cambridge AXA35 from eBay.  Cambridge resells many of its refurbished products there.  Connecting that unit to a ZStage worked well for me.  

Also, have you asked in the Decware classifieds under "WTB" for an amp to get you through the wait?  I am sure someone in this community must have a good amp in storage that would work for you.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
SDMF_Mark
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 12/07/21 at 21:24:22

I would cancel my order and get a Dennis Had Inspire fire bottle amp.

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/07/21 at 22:26:36

Don't forget ceramic cartridge for the turntable.

IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #9 - 12/07/21 at 22:28:03

If you want a toy to play with until your Decware amp arrives...

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/tubecube-7-stereo-vacuum-tube-amplifier

A $200 3.5 watt set amp. I am using one in my living room until I can afford something better. I just gave one to my daughter for a "starter" system.

SOTA sapphire turntable with Soundsmith the Voice cartridge
Schiit Jotunheim with phono card
Schiit Gungnir Multibit
1959 Motorola EL84 tube amp
Decware imperials with Altec 811b horns and Alnico drivers
Raspberry pi / Volumio as a streamer
  IP Logged
michaelG

Reply #10 - 12/09/21 at 00:21:16

Thanks for all your suggestions!!! I went with the tubecube 7.
At that price it's not a big risk , it just needs to work for the next year or two until I receive the UFO..

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/09/21 at 00:37:32

The Tube Cube 7 is a great little amp! I bought one actually a APPJ PA 0901A same amp different branding.  Little guy is fun to listen to and a keeper for sure. Doesn't compare to the UFO amps. My Sister is borrowing mine until her Rachael arrives sometime in 2022-2023.

Worth rolling a few tubes to see what you like.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
michaelG

Reply #12 - 12/09/21 at 01:24:34

Yes, I look forward to try it out.
My old amp had 4 x  el34, 2 x gz34, 2 x 6sn7 and 2 x 6sl7 so I was only trying different tube when they needed to be replaced. otherwise it was too expensive

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/09/21 at 13:40:32

SteveB,

What raspberry pi are you using . Mine is a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB Model B. Running into a Bifrost 2. Just usb to usb and sounds way better than anything i.e. ( computer or Android) device . What do you think about Volumio ? I really like that set up. Not using wifi have an ethernet cable feeding the Pi.

IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #14 - 12/10/21 at 22:00:51

I have two Raspberry pi 3 setups with Volumio in two systems. I sometimes have a issues with updates... sometimes they break the system. I never update both at the same time. I just swap the working one with the non working one.

I have one in my living room hooked up to a Schiit Modi3 and I can always use my Vizio tv with Spotify. The other one is in my main system hooked up with a Schiit Gungnir Multibit.

Volumio is great, but it is still Linux. Linux is bleeding edge software and on a few occasions I got "cut". I have only resorted to reinstalling once in the last three years of using it because I updated BOTH of my Volumio boxes at the same time.

I have bought three TubeCube7 amps. One is in my living room system. One I gave to my daughter for a system I set up for her. The last one is in my main system driving my Altec 811b horns. I am biamping my Decware Imperials. Best sound I have gotten out of my TubeCube7 is a pair of Amperex  8BQ5 power tubes and a Raytheon 12AX7 Black plate. My other favorite power tubes are the 6p14p-k tubes I got from Viva Tubes. The -k means they were sorted for low noise and microphonics. Happy tube rolling.

Schiit Gungnir Multibit
  IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #15 - 12/10/21 at 22:38:47

For those of you who are wondering if 8bq5 is a typo....it is not. The 6bq5 has a six volt heater. The 8bq5 has an eight volt heater. The 10bq5 has a ten volt heater. The 8bq5 will work in most amps without modifications.

Schiit Gungnir Multibit
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #16 - 12/10/21 at 23:34:14

Quote:
The Tube Cube 7 is a great little amp! I bought one actually a APPJ PA 0901A same amp different branding.  Little guy is fun to listen to and a keeper for sure. Doesn't compare to the UFO amps.

Yep .....

I had a prospective customer visit the Caintuck Audio listening room and he brought his Tube Cube with him.
We hooked it up to my front end and a pair of Betsy baffles.
I was really impressed at how good it sounded .....
However, when we put the SE84UFO back in the system, it was interesting to watch the customer's eyes roll back in his head.

I'm pretty sure he went back home and ordered an SE84UFO .....  

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 12/11/21 at 00:22:52

Michael .. I have the APPJ version as well and agree it's a great little amp for the money. The Tube Cube should hold you over nicely until the UFO arrives and yes, rolling the tubes is definitely worth it. Have fun.

IP Logged
michaelG

Reply #18 - 12/17/21 at 17:53:10

Hello All,
So I went for the tubecube 7 . I was thinking it is cheap enough so it's not a big risk and I'll sell it when I receive the UFO.
Turns out this amp is really really good (and amazing for the price) and I will definitely keep it.
The highs were a bit rolled off but after a few hours it's just fine.
Also I kept the stock tubes for now but I'm sure better ones will help and since the UFO and the tubecube both use el84, nothing will be lost.

thank you all for your help and happy Holidays!

IP Logged
michaelG

Reply #19 - 04/04/22 at 22:55:15

Another scare in my journey to the UFO!
The tubecube I acquired  is really good for the price, but definitely lacks on build quality.
The banana plug sockets are falling appart! It is actually the plastic collar that holds it that seems to decompose (probably due to heat).
I managed to fix it using small tiewrap and electrical tape.
It gave me the occasion / obligation to look into the amp and here is a few observations:
1) internal wiring is tiny , be careful if you need to take it appart, If those wires break you ll be in for a treat given that the output transformers are glued inside the top parts of the amp.
2) not sure what metal they use but cable speaker sockets are definitely magnetic
3) DO NOT tube roll with this amp, the tube sockets are on the cheap side and the PCB feels really fragile.

That's it for now. I'm around 350 on the waiting list so hopefully the tubecube will last until I receive the UFO and ZROCK.

wish me luck!!  ;)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print