Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 12:32:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hi everyone new to forum, what option for new amp? (Read 2111 times)
prtuc2
Verified Member

Hi everyone new to forum, what option for new amp?
11/27/21 at 15:17:56

Hi everyone, I just placed an order for the Zen Tor ii MK5. But, I am not sure which option is the better way to go sonically speaking. I put in for the XLR optional, but from what I am reading the Anniversary mods seems like the better choice. From what I read, the Anniversary is a cap upgrade and the XLR optional required a different output transformer. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Ideally, I would get both but I got limited funding. Thanks for any input guys and gals.

IP Logged
prtuc2
Verified Member

Re: Hi everyone new to forum, what option for new amp?
Reply #1 - 11/27/21 at 15:25:33

Just for the information what I am driving:

Fritz Rev 5 Bookshelf speaker with sensitivity: 85.5dB
Currently running in the living room estimating 16 X 20 X 9 foot ceiling, I plan to move my setup in my room eventually but for the time being it is sitting in the living room.
Listening level: under 80dB
DAC: Rockna Wavedream SE edition and Schiit Yggdrasil analog 2 unison.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/27/21 at 15:37:40

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on the order!

The XLR is for balanced input. If you want to use XLR cables you will need this.

Copper Bypass Mods will give you more sonic bliss.

In my experience, XLR / balanced connections have their place and can be a god send, however single ended RCA usually is sonically superior.

I've heard really good things about the Rockna DACs! What is your source? What amp are you currently using?

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 11/27/21 at 16:19:01

Welcome indeed!

Re: XLR. As GroovySauce says, this is for using XLR cables for input. It is expensive because it uses a transformer to difference the + and - phases of the balanced signal and make it single ended before it is amplified. A lot of people on the forum really like it, but it only matters if you have a "true" balanced signal, and my understanding is that Schiit DACs don't really have that. I believe Schiit DACs really only had a single ended output that is available on RCA and XLR. So the XLR inputs don't buy you very much.

Which is a roundabout way of saying I think with your current setup you are much better off spending money on the bypass caps aka Anniversary mods rather than the XLR inputs.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/27/21 at 16:21:07

Yes, welcome to the forum!

If you are keeping your equipment in the same area of the room keeping interconnects short then go with the mods. If the equipment will have long runs go with XLR to eliminate noise that will be introduced with long RCA/unbalanced interconnects.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
prtuc2
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 11/27/21 at 16:40:46

Thanks you everyone for the quick reply and Happy Thanksgiving sorry a little late for that. I got the same thought for the XLR option, since most of my gear is only single-ended.

Currently using my 11 year old Yamaha RX-797 integrated amplifier, is not a bad amplifier. Right now, my speaker setup is horrible just flush against the wall not placement as I got no room to move it. Perhaps when I move into a new house I can start doing speaker placement, then room sound treatment if fund permits.

The Rockna is fabulous I have it pair on my headphone setup because speaker not ideally setup. Source: rip my cd into FLAC files playing from foobar2000-->Rockna --> DNA Stratus headphone amp -->Sennheiser HD650/800 for headphone setup, foobar2000 --> Schiit Yggdrasil --> Fritz Rev 5 bookshelf speaker

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/27/21 at 17:45:29

When Steve had my ZMA in for upgrades I asked him if I should have the XLR jacks installed.  He told me that the ZBIT was a better way to go.  FWIW.

I'd say, get the bypass upgrades now and the ZBIT later, if you think you need it.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print