Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 22:42:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Even lossy sounds good .. who knew? (Read 1539 times)
Melvin
Ex Member

Even lossy sounds good .. who knew?
11/17/21 at 13:31:20

Not me. I can’t even remember the last time I listened to lossy files on my Decware/Omega system. So, yesterday I wanted a little background music while starting a new book. For a change I decided to stream from my library of jazz AAC’s located on my iPad, thinking I wouldn’t notice the hit in sound quality listening at such a low volume. I can’t even say how many times I stopped reading to listen, hardly believing my ears. No, the sound quality wasn’t on par with lossless but for background listening, it was exceptional. I’ve never heard lossy sound so good. The magic of Decware continues to amaze me.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Even lossy sounds good .. who knew?
Reply #1 - 11/17/21 at 15:30:17

It is pretty amazing. I listen to a lot of old 50's, 40's and even 30's recordings, and many of them are frankly terrible. But my Decware/Omega system (with some help from Denafrips and Woo Audio) seems to accentuate the positive aspects of the recordings (the music) while diminishing the negative (the recording quality).

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/17/21 at 16:10:58

That ZRock is a great tool for dealing with low volume or low quality or low res recordings. As wallpaper / background music I sometimes stream low res Spotify or Pandora, and it makes a huge difference to my ears.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 11/18/21 at 07:58:44

Quote:
It is pretty amazing. I listen to a lot of old 50's, 40's and even 30's recordings, and many of them are frankly terrible.

I do the same as well and even enjoy the roaring 20’s.  When I was on a Disney trip with my family a few years, we stayed at the Grand Floridian.  This hotel pipes oil a lot of this music all day long.  Yes the majority of the recordings are quite terrible by comparison to what I listen to on a daily basis, but playing it through my Decware system makes it sound so much better.  Whether you are streaming or playing a CD,  a good DAC goes along way.  When I do AB comparison with my Schiit Multibit Bifrost and AQ Red Dragonfly, you can really hear the difference between a $200 and a $900 DAC.  Either way I accept the recordings for what they are due to the technology available at the time it was recorded.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 11/18/21 at 10:06:15

Amen gentlemen! I listen to music from 1918 up and the Decware systems and the best front end sources really help. There was a great leap from the acoustic horn microphones into the electric microphone recordings and some of the latter are amazing in their immediacy and vividness. In all recording ages their were great engineers and producers, sometimes the artists themselves knew how to be recorded. Recorded music is such a gift!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print