Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 22:12:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Real" difference in DAC's? Why is my SQ the same? (Read 3073 times)
CJinArcadia
Verified Member

"Real" difference in DAC's? Why is my SQ the same?
11/07/21 at 14:49:23

I've got to believe that the $1300 Schiit DAC is truly capable of delivering more than my $100 Rpi accessory board, but why am I not hearing the difference? (Note: This is not a slam against the Schiit - I am truly asking  for input/guidance.)

This past year I've begun getting into streaming via Spotify, and now Qobuz, via a Raspberry Pi 3B+. I've had a Hifi Berry DAC2 HD hat on it to feed my system. I have been very pleased with what I hear in my system.

But.... after reading and seeing various videos, I thought that getting a more expensive standalone DAC might provide another step up in sound quality. After doing a bunch of research, decided on a Schiit Gungnir DAC, with a key factor being that they state their Unison USB input is excellent, and I could plug a USB cable directly from my Rpi to the Gungnir.

The Gumby arrived a week ago and I placed it in my system. I let it warm up and have kept it on the entire time. I've had it play for hours (probably 40-50), and over the last couple of days have tried doing some A-B testing between the Gumby and my Hifi Berry DAC hat.

I've got a high quality A-B switch that I made a few years ago, and had the RCA outputs from the Gungnir and the Hifi Berry go into it. Then, via Volumio, and I can change which device is receiving the signal from the Rpi. By doing this, and altering the A-B switch, I can have the "same" signal feeding the Spud amp (I also took my preamp out to get a more unbiased sound).

I had expectations that I would have true magic happening with my stereo by having the Gumby in as a part of the system. When I go back and forth between the Gumby and the Hifi Berry, I honestly can't tell between one and the other. During some extended listening sessions, I've found myself really enjoying the sound stage and the music overall, and think "Wow - I guess this Gungnir" really does sound great", only to check and realize I was listening via the Rpi DAC hat! Soundstage height, width, and depth don't seem to change much. Sometimes I feel like I get a little more instrument separation with the Gumby, and other times I don't. Honestly, with A-B testing (not even blind), I can't readily tell the two apart, or have a preference between one and the other (although the Gungnir looks cooler!).

I am using the Rpi via wireless internet (no ethernet cable is available in the room) and am using a Schiit USB cable to connect the Rpi to the Gungnir. The various interconnects are not all the same, but when swapping them, hear no difference.

I've also done an A-B test while playing my CD player (Rega Apollo) by having the Apollo connected via s/pdif to the Gungnir. I then can A-B directly between the output of the Apollo versus that of the Gungnir. When doing this testing, I can tell a slight difference between them (favoring the Gumby).

Any thoughts or input before I send the Gungnir back to Schiit? I've wondered if an Allo Digione (regular or signature) hat might make a significant difference?

Or could it simply be that:
1. The hifi berry hat is really that good
2. I am feeding the Gumby improperly
3. My system is not isn't good enough to distinguish a difference
4. My ears aren't good enough to hear a difference
5. Something else?

I know that my hearing doesn't go above 14000hz,  and that my full-range Betsy drivers also don't go super high.

Many thanks for any input.

Chris

Raspberry Pi/allo DigiOne streamer/server; MHDT Orchid DAC, Unique Audio tube pre; diy Curtis Spud amp; anticable & diy cables; diy Betsy(alnico) & Buck speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: "Real" difference in DAC's? Why is my SQ the same?
Reply #1 - 11/07/21 at 15:54:14

In my experience DAC's are a funny deal.
I've spent a good amount of time with several that more or less sounded the same to me.
They ranged anywhere from a $1K Wyred 4 Sound to a $500 Grace Design, truthfully they sounded more or less the same to me.

Now when I went to a Denafrips Ares II was the only time I heard a fundamentally different sound from any DAC.

Though I do wonder how much your little Spud amp is holding you back. I've never personally heard one, so I'm probably full of crap in my thinking as I am wont to.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: "Real" difference in DAC's? Why is my SQ
Reply #2 - 11/07/21 at 16:33:15

CJinArcadia,

I have a 1 year old Schiit Bifrost with the Unison USB.  While it did sound very good out of the box, it sounded ALOT better after like the 75 hour mark.  Keep playing…it gets better.  

Also…not sure what USB cable you are running but when I jumped into a really good cable, it was very noticeable.  I run the double smoked BBQ USB cable and it truly opened up the sound compared to a “Just a decent “ USB.  

I’ve never tried my RB Pi 3B+ as a stand alone DAC….I use  it ad a transport bridge in Roon running Ropiee to go into my Bifrost and the sound is VERY GOOD.  I don’t have a LPS for the Pi, but I run it into my Monster Power center which has digital filtering…which does help.

I run the Decware ZSB switch box and have done A/B testing with my AQ Red Dragonfly and while I the sound is really good…there is no comparison to the RBPi and Bifrost combo through Roon. Hope this helps.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/07/21 at 17:34:48

I also was a Pi user (I’ve go two of em) I’ve never used Qobuz but I did use Spotify quite a while with the Allo Piano Hat and the reclocker board.

1. The hifi berry hat is really that good
The hats use the IS2 interface which really helps them out.  I haven’t heard your specific hat but the hats usually do sound that good.

2. I am feeding the Gumby improperly
The Raspberry PI 3 shares the USB bus with the network bus which is known to cause noise and might be the reason there isn’t a significant difference the PI output just isn’t clean enough.

Several manufactures make interface hats that bypass the USB bus and output digital or even USB.  I used the Allo digione to feed my Orchid DAC  a digital signal and it sounded good.  Now the PI4 is out and it has separated the USB from the network but I’ve never heard one.  That would be a pretty inexpensive experiment but the OS of the 4 is different from the 3 so you would have to start fresh.

I actually stopped using the Raspberry Pis.  I’m an Amazon HD user and Amazon in all its wisdom has decided to strictly limit the devices that can play it and the PI wasn’t one of them.  I tried multiple times to try to use the PI including a Chromecast Audio toslink and bubbleupnp but it was always just too cumbersome.  I finally ended up with a small fanless PC with USB It worked with Amazon HD and it sounded even  better and now Pis now sit in a drawer.

3. My system is not isn't good enough to distinguish a difference
4. My ears aren't good enough to hear a difference

Can you hear a difference between Spotify and Qobuz? If not something is going on.  It’s not a huge difference but Spotify just had a little less air around it than HD streaming services to me.
Can you hook your DAC up to a different source and see if you can hear a difference.  (see of you can hear… language is weird)?  

I personally wasn’t a fan of the Schitt DACs I've heard but there could be a lot of reasons for that.  I’ve never heard one on my system so I’m not really a reliable source.

Listening is a learned skill that at first that the differences may just not be apparent.  After a while difference start to emerge and once you hear them you’ll never be able to unhear it.

Please note I’m not sure of any of this on your system these are just my experiences.  YMMV

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 11/07/21 at 18:06:35

I guess I have one more thing to add.

When you ask if the HiFi Berry is that good, I have to ask if the Schiit is that bad??

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
CJinArcadia
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 11/08/21 at 01:56:19

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and respond!

Regarding hearing differences between recordings streamed from Spotify vs Qobuz, yes I hear significant differences on some recordings. I’m listening to the Sarah Jarosz album “Blue Heron Suite” right now and have been alternating between Spotify and Qobuz. (It’s a great cd by the way.) This one on Qobuz is 96kHz 24bit. In general I find the acoustic instrumental sections to be “cleaner” and better defined for space. On her vocals, while it seems that I can distinguish her breath on both, with the higher res it almost seems like I can “feel” her breath. There is more airiness to entire recording. She seems to be floating above and behind (and just left of) my right speaker. I don’t get that as cleanly when listening to the Spotify version.

And I don’t think the Gungnir is bad by any means. As has been pointed out, changing the cable, moving to the Rpi4, or going to a nice s/pdif hat and then into the Gungnir are all probably good options. Unfortunately, my 15 day trial window will be closing soon, and I won’t have time to do extensive trials to find an optimal solution. I just can’t see keeping a piece of equipment around that is $1200 more than my current setup, and I can’t distinguish between them.

Maybe I’ll go Donnie’s route with an ares, or get another less expensive DAC for some trials (older Gungnir, Bifrost, Topping)? We’ll see. At least Schiit does provide the option to try their gear (even though there is a restock fee).

I hope that you all have a great week.

Chris

Raspberry Pi/allo DigiOne streamer/server; MHDT Orchid DAC, Unique Audio tube pre; diy Curtis Spud amp; anticable & diy cables; diy Betsy(alnico) & Buck speakers
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/08/21 at 07:14:20

If you can hear the difference in Qobuz and Spotify it's probably not your ears or your system!  The MHDT Orchid  DAC was a big step up from the Allo piano DAC and it was top of the line DAC for the PI when I purchased it.
Good luck with your search

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
CJinArcadia
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 11/22/21 at 02:49:42

Now I hear a difference!

So I’ve made some changes. The Gumby has gone back to Schiit; I guess that it just wasn’t a good match for my other gear. I’ve picked up a used MHDT Orchid that came with the standard GE 5670 tube, and one of the incredible Western 386a tubes. Both sound great, but the 396a has something special in my system.

I started by hooking the new DAC up to my Rpi with just a really cheapo usb printer cable. The sound stage wasn’t necessarily wider, but it was certainly deep!  There was more “texture” to the music. On Saturday morning my new Allo Digione hat arrived, so I popped out the hifi berry dac, modified the plastic case a little, and installed the new hat with the Rpi3. Now the Rpi is connected to the Orchid with a decent rca digital cable. It’s like I have a wall of sound that frequently seems like some of it originates from the other side of the front wall. I’m impressed (and even my wife is!).

I almost went with simply getting a Rpi4 and using it’s usb to connect to the Orchid. I ultimately decided to stay with my Rpi3B since everything I’ve read indicated that the pi4 should use a fan, and I didn’t want to worry about the excessive heat or a fan. The only downside I’ve seen so far is that the Orchid connected via s/pdif won’t handle the 192 kHz hi res files. Fortunately Qobuz has those albums in lower resolution (ie 96 or lower) so I can still listen to them.

So, in answer to my original question, there most definitely can be a difference in sound quality with the “right” DAC. (But what’s “right” for my system and ears might not work for anyone else’s system.)

But this Orchid certainly is making things sound incredible in my living room!!!

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/07/21 at 15:53:57

I just purchased a 5670 to 6922 adapter for my Orchid.  I replaced a WE D getter tube (that was pretty old) with a much less expensive 6922 tube.  

Wow is all I can say.  It's a worthwhile update and can now use the 6922s in both my SE84UFO and my DAC which makes sense to me.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print