Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/03/24 at 01:51:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84UFO and Klipsch Forte 3 (Read 2896 times)
Nuno
Verified Member

SE84UFO and Klipsch Forte 3
11/02/21 at 14:57:42

Hi

This is my first post in the forum but it has been some months since I have been looking at a Decware Zen Triode amplifier and would like to hear from other users.

Did Anyone try to pair the SE84UFO with Klipsch heritage speakers, more specifically the forte 3 ? is this a good match? For DAC I'm using a Denafrips Venus II fed by a RPi / Roon.
Could anyone share their views on how the currently available mods affect the sound ? Poly / Copper bypass mods.

Thanks in advance
Nuno

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: SE84UFO and Klipsch Forte 3
Reply #1 - 11/02/21 at 15:32:05

Welcome to the forum!

I'm unable to help with the speaker usage--I don't have experience with those speakers.

As for the power supply options. . . Steve says that whether using the poly or the copper foil they make significant improvements to the sound. I've had these mods in SE84UFO3 Monoblocks, Taboo Mk IV, CSP2+, CSP3 and ZROCK2 in the copper foil option and they really bring out body and texture with the sound. The sort of thing that you didn't know you wanted, and once you hear it you don't want to be without it--that is honestly the best way to describe the improvements that I can think of. The copper foil would be the capacitor choice you would want to make if you intend to build a very audiophile system--they are clarifiers and pace-makers, and will let you hear a warts and all presentation. I have less experience with the poly caps but they to my recollection (as I no longer have any components with those caps here) have a slightly forgiving character in comparison, which is a great sound as well.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/02/21 at 18:22:36

Comparatively I'm a newbie here and I've been running the SE84UFO with Beeswax cap upgrade for several months.  It's a great match for your Klipsch as long as you realize its power limitations but until you reach that it sounds unreal.
I'm using corner horn clones which are more efficient than the Fortes but can't believe how good it sounds.

I do recommend replacing the rectifier tube which upped the overall sound quality.

I've found the people here helpful, friendly and extremely knowledgeable.  

If you have half the fun I've had your in for a really positive experience.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Nuno
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 11/02/21 at 19:16:35

Hi Lon

Thx for your feedback. The word that caught my attention was "forgiven". I currently have a solid state amplifier with a detailed and revealing presentation that I plan to keep. What I would like to achieve with the Zen Triode is a more holographic presentation with lots of "air" but also a smoother sound, not putting in cause details, but not putting it too much in evidence. From what you explained, maybe the Poly could give me that ? or am I also giving away the holographic presentation and the air?

Hi Dana

Great to hear you are having such great experience out of this little applifier. I have also heard that it pairs very well with the Cornwalls Smiley
I can go for lower listening levels and I don't expect this to play really loud, in any case, the Forte are also very sensitive speakers too.

Thx, Nuno

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/02/21 at 20:31:21

I think you will be surprised how LOUD this amp can be, I know I was.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/02/21 at 21:02:12

I've been waiting for my UFO2 now since January, am about 5 on list in Quality Control. Hope it ships this week! I will be pairing with Heresy 1's rebuilt by Crites, 98 db. I expect them to play in mid 90's no problem, and of course will report after it comes in....
@Dana, what rectifier or fier's are you using?

Happy hunting Nuno! I understand the Fortes are great and should perform very well!

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/02/21 at 21:11:04

P.S. Steve put an update under components for UFO2, see below. All upgrade caps are now the copper foil MIFLEX.

I know there are a lot of you waiting in line to get one of these and thought you might enjoy knowing that since the web page was written, we have stopped using both the beeswax caps and the copper foil beeswax caps due to Covid Logistic issues with the manufacture. The Copper foil beeswax were an upgrade worth a couple hundred bucks.  We have eliminated the option of two types of caps and are now shipping all amps with the MIFLEX Copper Foil caps which sound as good or better than the copper foil beeswax and will last forever without having to be replaced in 30 years.

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 11/02/21 at 21:27:50

Nuno, I don't think you'll lose any air and three dimensionality by the poly caps, but I think that Steve has now made the decision moot by making the Miflex copper caps standard for the UFO amp, and those are very good caps--I have these in a ZROCK2 and they are just an all around great cap that should give you that bit of ease of sound you are looking for and will not lead you to sacrifice any of the great aspects of the Decware sound.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Sb66er
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 11/03/21 at 01:03:36

Hey man...welcome! I have the Klipsch Forte II with what I call audiophile mods to bring out more of their nuanced strengths, i.e. (I raised them off the floor 10 inches! Really improves the sound in the upper range with no perceivable loss in bass response. The tweeters are just so "hot" when they are down at or below ear level. Put Dynamat on all the horn surfaces and woofer and radiator baskets, and awaiting ALK crossovers...my speakers are 32 years old...I got them when I worked at Klipsch in Hope)

Also, keep those babies back by the wall how they were intended (mine 8-10 max from wall) and pointing straight forward. I think everyone that doesn't like the Klipsch sound has experienced them bad speaker placement and them sitting on the floor. I was impressed with how pointing forward (after many directional tests) and getting them off the floor made them sound so much better!

That being said, my brother-in-law has the UFO anniversary amp so I took my Forte's over there. His system/amp sure help the speakers sound good, but listening to non-compressed music, like some classical, the amp did not have the power to do the job. I like to enjoy the speed and punch that Klipsch speakers can provide and i like mids and bass alot, but I chose to order a Torii MKV for the added power/punch!  I could not find a reason to run an amp that is so close to not being enough.   BTW, I never listen to music above 80 dB continuous/average, with peaks in the low 90s.  I do not think the UFO will reach sounds levels i want, but i could be wrong. On my test run, the UFO was maxing out below that.  

Good luck!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print