Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:28:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
components on bottom of board even for wood mount? (Read 1695 times)
one6180339
Verified Member

components on bottom of board even for wood mount?
10/19/21 at 00:42:04

Just received my circuit board, working on my components order. Transformers due in January.

My plan is to build with the PCB mounted to stand offs on a piece of wood. I am thinking about placing all of the components on the bottom of the board though such that I could easily transfer it to an enclosure in the future.

Has anyone else done this? Other than using tall enough stand offs to accommodate the components, any other considerations? A heat shield to protect the wood from the power resistor?

IP Logged
Jora Lebedev
Verified Member

Re: components on bottom of board even for wood mount?
Reply #1 - 12/06/21 at 18:43:23

Some heat will radiate but mostly the heat from the resistors will convect upwards.  When I built mine I had the components under the board and the heat going upwards from the power resistor started to discolor the pcb.  I doubled the wattage of the resistor and mounted it well proud of the circuit board.

So, don't wire the power resistor right up against the circuit board, be sure to give it plenty of breathing room and upgrade the wattage if you can.

IP Logged
one6180339
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/07/21 at 00:30:22

I thought about convection off the power resistor too and was planning to mount it on the up facing side with the tubes for the reason you stated. Any other components that get hot enough to need placement on the upward facing side?

IP Logged
bobc

Reply #3 - 12/07/21 at 13:22:25

also, just make sure your tube sockets are on the "correct" side for pin numbering.....

IP Logged
one6180339
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/12/21 at 01:58:09

I decided to go ahead and just put everything on the top. Soldered the tube sockets and most of the resistors today. Need to get the board mounting figured out next.

IMG_4488.jpeg
  IP Logged
nipsy
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 12/12/21 at 04:05:23

Looks like you’re doing a very nice job !  I’ve just received all my parts except for the transformers and will be starting my build in a couple weeks. It’s a first for me and I’m sure to have a lot of questions. I’ve been combing the forums and hope to post a digest of the things I’ve learned that could help other newcomers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print