Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 11:26:47 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tube Tots development thread (Read 11225 times)
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Tube Tots development thread
10/04/21 at 22:25:05

Ok, so how was the reaction to the Tube Tots at this years DECFEST?
Are they likely to be added to the Decware speaker lineup?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Decware 2021 Concept speakers
Reply #1 - 10/05/21 at 02:04:54

The Tube Tots were well liked, but I already knew they would be so we went into production before the fest even began. Look for them on the site this winter.

Steve

You can listen to them here:  https://vimeo.com/619572344  
as I had them going the night before to warm up for the show...

You can also watch the show and see for yourself what people thought:

FRIDAY: https://vimeo.com/620013088

SAT: https://vimeo.com/620865295

WWW   IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/16/21 at 20:45:45

Was interested in trying something different with the A/V system.  Had to be bookshelf size.  Followed this thread with great expectations.

Oct. first beat feet to Decfest.  Listened to the Tube Tot's in the main room and the wood shop.  Did not take long to be convinced that Steve has done it again.  The check book came out.

I just might be the first to have a pair in home.  Steve said the 2WPC might not be a good match but in my small (10' x 12') room the SE84 sure sounds great to me.

If anyone has a need for a smaller size speaker these are the real deal.

Dennis

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/17/21 at 17:40:31

Generally I much prefer floor standers over stand mounts, but these Tube Tots are on my very short list of my next speaker purchase.

Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/18/21 at 03:06:11

Steve said:  "Ohno Continuous Cast Copper is a whole new game.  Being able to draw a single crystal hundreds of feet long vs. OFC copper that has 100's of crystals per foot is a serious game changer from what I am hearing."

It sounds like this Ohno stuff might be a choice for winding a next generation of output transformers.  Interstage trans too if you decide to build an IT amplifier.

Brian

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 10/18/21 at 12:43:52

I'm sure it would be great as I find it excellent in every application I've experienced it in.

But. . .that would be expensive!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 10/29/21 at 21:59:52

Go for it!

Show us what you can do!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/30/21 at 02:30:24

I guess I should go ahead and put in my order now for the 60 watt monos so I'll have them in time for the release of this forthcoming speaker!

Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/30/21 at 04:15:50

A most interesting project!

Brian

IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/02/21 at 03:00:56

Looking foward to see and hear to outcome of those! Love that innovation never stops with Decware even with so much work to do!

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #10 - 11/16/21 at 09:58:41

Tube Tots are making good progress.   Paint next week and then final assembly.

It's really some ambitious cabinet work to create this wave guide shape, otherwise these could be done ages ago.

I hope to have them tested and on the site in January 2022!

WWW   IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/16/21 at 14:12:34

Having lived with a pair of these for a month now I think anyone in need of a speaker this size should be saving their money up….

After hearing a pair at Deckfest, I was more than impressed and begged Steve to sell me the prototype pair…..  He relented.

Nuff said

IP Logged
buster1
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 11/18/21 at 15:37:56

Speaking of paint, in what color(s) will the tots be offered?

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 11/19/21 at 22:01:05

I may have missed where Steve discussed this already, but what will the dimensions/weight of these speaks be??

Is there a particular speaker stand that should be considered?

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #14 - 11/20/21 at 04:50:28

The Tube Tots will only be available in the figured burl wood / black finish.  There will never be options.

I've been doing a lot of re-visiting the design as I look forward to 30 pair of cabinets to arrive soon...  this is normal last minute second guessing because it's my balls on the line...

Anyway, the Tots are simple... dual 4 inch drivers running full-range with no crossovers.  The jumpers between the top and bottom drivers are gold plated copper rods which have been tested against fancy wiresand are like having only set one of binding posts for both drivers.  That's what you normally want when you use conventional speaker wire.  However, when you bi-wire you need posts for each driver.

Naturally there are other possibilities, such as running a single driver with the second acting like a passive or shorted across a resistor to damp resonance.  Also there is connecting them in series with the positive either starting with the top or the bottom driver depending on how you want to tilt your sound stage.  The tilt comes from a 15 degree phase shift from the voice coils being in series so you can stage one behind the other.  

But tonight I did another round of measurements and certainly there are some issues with running both drivers full range as you get into the top end and in an effort to improve it I got into some Tesla moments with coils.  Started with a .5 mH and measured and unwound it and measured again, and repeated until I got down to .4mH and a lot of things happened.  Putting it on both drivers tilted the response a bit but left it unchanged except we lost almost 2 dB of efficiency.   Putting it on a single driver was a whole different story, and between setting it on the positive side vs. the negative side of the circuit, the negative side measured and sounded best.

So basically we have a small coil of wire replacing the negative jumper on the speakers binding posts.  Below is the standard measurement with both drivers full-range (BLUE TRACE)  vs. adding the coil to the top driver (RED TRACE) .

Click to Enlarge

What is interesting are the results.  Two things happened... the SPL increased by almost 3dB and the imaging is far more focused and the sound stage is noticeably deeper.  It's a great improvement I think, so I will ship the speakers with coils as well as the gold plated rods so you can have either response.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #15 - 11/20/21 at 04:56:10

They're around 12 inches tall and meaty but not heavy.

Stands I have been testing them on are worse-case scenarios from eBay for $60... glass top and bottom, thin metal tubes.  I didn't try to fill the tubes.

WWW   IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 11/21/21 at 00:59:34

Is there a recommend stand height relative to ear height at seated position? Thanks

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 11/24/21 at 10:27:01

Decware is turning me from an "I like audio" person into an art collector.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #18 - 11/25/21 at 02:08:31

Here is a JAZZ sound demo of the Decware Zen Tube Tots...

https://youtu.be/TAH8bSAc2bo

No longer a concept, will be available soon.

Today I got the Jensen coils with the wax coating for the top driver and it made a noticeable difference over the mismatched combo I used in prior tests.

So we will ship these with both the gold plated rods and a coil for each speaker so that you can configure it's sound to your own liking.

Price is still on target at $1200/pr.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #19 - 11/25/21 at 03:26:54

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #20 - 11/25/21 at 04:05:54

WWW   IP Logged
Tubecan

Reply #21 - 12/24/21 at 23:25:00

My tiny radials for the past 8 months haven't moved...one is sitting atop a dinning room cabinet that's 7 feet tall.the other tiny radial is 11 feet away sitting on a 4 foot cabinet..the imaging is crazy..the sound is spectacular,if someone started walking off with these i'd toss a ls3/5a or a p3esr at them!Ohhh and they can get loud.i tried posting a photo but can't from this computer.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #22 - 01/01/22 at 03:40:22

After listening for several weeks now and measuring the Tube Tots with and without the crossover I have decided to add the crossover to the design. The crossover is a single coil placed on one of the drivers to roll it off around 5K.  This improved the frequency response and added nearly 3dB to the sensitivity of the entire speaker so they will now have my blessing for use with our 2.3 watt amplifiers.

I have been evaluating the differences between perfect lay inductors, fancy braided types, and pure copper foil and in this speaker it is critical to use the very best because it has to match a driver that uses nothing and both matching full-range drivers are doing the mid-range and bass.

I ordered the copper foil inductors tonight, so as we do the final inspections on each pair we will also be installing the coils and putting everything back together for a final QC.

click to enlarge

While it does measure considerably better and pick up some efficiency, the sound is far better focused and more relaxed and dimensional with this update. When you listen to both the original design against this latest improvement, the difference isn't subtle.

The first 4 pair of speakers are already here, the rest are on the way by boat. As you may or may not know I am having these custom built by some of my friends in China and the final assembly and testing is being done here at Decware.

And yes we could make them here but I only have two cabinet makers and both are buried with orders so deep they can hardly breath. So when you order some of our speakers on the web site it can take nearly a year to complete your pair while other models may only take a few months. Plus it would cost more and we couldn't make them any better. The specifications on these cabinets are serious. Cabinet walls are 2 inches thick at the front, the baffle is double thick, the noiseless rear port is hugely flared both inside and out and the exotic real wood veneers have A1 finishing, just like we would make them here.  They are like picking up a bowling ball. 

As I have mentioned earlier in this thread, we're going to start things rolling with 30 pairs of inventory and then complete & test each pair as the orders come in. This should drop the wait time to 30 days while we have inventory.

I'm shooting for Feb/March.

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 01/02/22 at 03:11:19

Thank you, Steve for the update.
"While it does measure considerably better and pick up some efficiency, the sound is far better focused and more relaxed and dimensional with this update. When you listen to both the original design against this latest improvement, the difference isn't subtle."

This is what makes these build reports so much fun - the subjective listening comparisons.  

Merry Christmas, Brian

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #24 - 01/02/22 at 03:55:09

Interesting back story behind this update to the Tube Tots...  As you all well know I have been in love with these speakers since I first hear them. They have great bass weight and texture in such a tiny package! Of course the midrange is to die for. They build on my love for full-range crossoverless drivers with the added thrill of even more speed as is only possible from 4 inch drivers. They imaged on the better side of the scale compared to all the competition in the Decware listening room and I just didn't hear anything that was really worth improving.

Then I got the Decware house speakers done and the razor sharp focus and placement they offer was no different than getting an audio firmware update in your head.  After that update I couldn't hear the Tot's quite the same way despite trying for several evenings... it was becoming obvious that something had to be done.

Now with the new reference for focus the Tot's sounded just slightly blurry to me and since they have two drivers running full-range it might be possible to make some changes. Since Tube Tots are so small and the 4 inch drivers are next to each other -- there isn't a real problem with timing like there would be with say a pair of 8 inch drivers spread further apart. It really sounds no different than a single 8 or 10 inch full-range design... but here lies an opportunity because we have dual 4 inch drivers.

Once I measured the speakers and saw the rise in treble response around 7kHz-15Khz I knew that rolling of that second driver just before that rise (around 5K) would probably fix a lot and it did. The frequency balance got better, but that wasn't off enough to be noticeable or even a real problem.  It was the imaging that transformed. The phase angle on these speakers seems to me to be just about more than one could reasonably expect, and the rise in efficiency is a nice surprise.

I am now a really happy Tube Tot guy because they are no longer sounding inferior to the Decware house speakers and frankly the fun sound that they have and the textures... OMG the textures are fabulous... I crave these speakers when they're not in the system.  

So yea, hearing something better than the Tots created a better sounding pair of Tots in less than a week and made it suddenly compatible with our 2.3 watt amplifiers.  Another gift.

I had the speakers made with a mortised circle to receive our logo which was 1/2 mm too small to fit our round speaker logo so I am having some made a little smaller to fit.  When those arrive this coming week I'll be able to take the official product photos and then get started on the web page.

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 01/03/22 at 02:44:56

A wonderful story!
You have a lot of fun. I am glad for you.

Brian

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #26 - 01/06/22 at 22:02:22

One giant step closer!

The first pair of production model Tube Tots have been completed.  Now we can start working on the web page and then we'll begin to take orders.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 01/06/22 at 22:21:46

Friggin' Awesome, Steve.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 01/07/22 at 03:33:06

It's a Beauty!

Brian

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #29 - 01/07/22 at 18:07:57

Gosh, those are gorgeous!!!  With their style, size and price point, I’m sure they will be big sellers. Do I remember correctly that they will be $1400 a pair?

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #30 - 01/08/22 at 06:15:26

WWW   IP Logged
Drew T
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 01/08/22 at 21:38:41

Beautiful . Are they available for sale now ?

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 01/08/22 at 23:38:45

Drew T. not yet. Steve will put on the product list when they get the page info set up. Check his post w/ picture above.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Drew T
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 01/09/22 at 06:00:41

Sounds good . Thank you HR

IP Logged
buster1
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 01/11/22 at 00:41:53

Steve:  very interested in the tots.  I also very much appreciate how you post measurements.  I’m not a speaker designer (strong understatement).  I’m curious about the dip in the brilliance region in terms of cause (curiosity) and how it influences the tot’s’ character?  Any interest in sharing your thoughts?  How do the measurements and sound stack up to your new 945 (am I getting that number right) prototype?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #35 - 01/11/22 at 02:35:57

To answer your question about the top end response:

click to enlarge

This graph above has no smoothing and the room is gated out.  The room will fill in a lot of those dips, but to get a better idea of what you would hear from just the speaker, I pulled up the same measurement and applied 1/6 smoothing to it and unwrapped the phase response.

click to enlarge

So to explain as I see it what I hear is two things happening simultaneously: Frequency Response and Phase Response.

Phase response has a lot to do with imaging and sound stage front to back depth and where things are placed.  As the number drifts away from ZERO on the chart, the image location at that frequency moves back in time which moves it back behind your speakers in a relative amount.

So if we look at the where it starts in the bass on this chart, we can imagine the bass is forward and then as it gets in the 200Hz to 400Hz aka the thick zone, it backs off and gets out of your face which is nice. Then just a nice bump forward in the lower midrange to separate vocals from everything else followed by a honest straight line of decay that stops and begins to rise at 3200Hz pushing that frequency forward in the stage while at the same time the frequency balance is softening it. Then by 4K both are in agreement and gently push forward right into the presence zone. Similarly the same thing happens at 10K. Then in the brilliance region the peak in response is offset by the hard dive in phase response. That would create even more depth for ambient harmonics.

So I don't really perceive the dip, nor would anyone else I suspect. Remember the highest note on a piano is  4186 Hz

-Steve

The new concept speaker of the 945 has not been measured as of yet.  It is a different animal though, with less midrange presence and higher overall sensitivity.

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 01/11/22 at 04:33:26

I thank You so much for that explanation! I have never understood anything about Phase.

Brian

IP Logged
buster1
Verified Member

Reply #37 - 01/11/22 at 13:45:47

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this response.  It really peaks my interest and prompts even more curiosity and questions.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 01/12/22 at 21:50:51

How tall do the stands need to be? Buying the speakers and want to be sure stands are available when they arrive. (Buying as soon as they can be ordered)

IP Logged
trombonium
Verified Member

Reply #39 - 01/13/22 at 04:15:16

Hi Iazb, I'm new to this forum, and I'm also very interested in the Tube Tots.  Steve posted a link to the Owners Manual for these speakers on 1//08.  In that document, he states the recommended height for speaker stands as being 24".  Hope that helps.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 01/13/22 at 06:50:49

Hello, trombonium.
Welcome to the forum.

Brian

IP Logged
trombonium
Verified Member

Reply #41 - 01/13/22 at 16:42:05

Thanks, Brian.  I'm looking forward learning more about this amazing equipment.

Larry

IP Logged
Andrew77
Verified Member

Music heals the soul

Reply #42 - 01/18/22 at 01:56:44

Appears the tots are on the speakers page.  4th from the top. And the webpage for the tots is active. And with the new website theme, no less.

https://www.decwareproducts.com/zentubetots

The Zen TORII MK4 // WiiM Pro Plus /w Tidal // Klipsch RP-600M
WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 01/18/22 at 11:04:45

Drew T,

I believe Steve mentions back in this thread that the TTs will load a small room well with the 2 watt Decware offerings.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 01/18/22 at 19:54:13

I have a pair of Tube Tots for about four months now.

I use them with a SE84C+ or an older Taboo for a A/V setup..  The room is small..

I have absolutely no plans to replace them.  Even for movies I find no need for a sub.

Well worth the investment

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #45 - 01/23/22 at 03:21:51

I have been working on trying to design some stands for the Tube Tots...

Here are some pics of what I have done so far.  Then I will get into the science of stands and how it can destroy the sound of any speaker.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #46 - 01/23/22 at 03:23:22

The holes are for large black knobs that have yet to arrive.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #47 - 01/23/22 at 03:27:57

OK, so you noticed the Tube Tot on the floor laying on it's side...  Would this be a perfect monitor for your console... if you mix audiophile recordings? Yes... extraordinary if your wanting high res without clinical -- assuming the reference tube gear driving it is free of colorations... you will be very  happy with results if not astounded!

Anyway this is where this design is currently at.  I am seriously tempted to paint the inside vertical board black.  We'll see what happens..  I don't have to really worry about it, because those urges I can't control or predict.  They just happen so we will see.  Again, just taking you into the design process for better or worse.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #48 - 01/23/22 at 04:02:56

OK, So let's talk about stands...

My first experience with the horrifying effect of ruining the sound of a speaker with a stand came in the early 1990's with a pair of PSB Alpha bookshelf speakers that I had on some weird triangular columns that I stood up on a board and set the Alphas on top of.  These hollow columns were part of some retail display from a store that I scarfed up along the way.  Setting them on a flat board floating on the carpet decoupled from the floor and the speakers directly coupled to the top of the hollow triangular columns -- the sound was glorious.  I enjoyed it for many months, but the stands were easily tipped. They were a balancing act and even my cat could launch one into the wall.

So one day I grew a pair and purchased some hi-end steel stands that I filled with lead shot and spiked to the floor and spiked to the speakers...

Yea, that was probably it right there.  

Anyway, I turned on the stereo and the magic sound I had grown to love was completely gone.   I had this hatefully dry, etched, tipped up sound that had almost no bass and no imaging. I was so stunned I didn't know how to process it frankly.

The stands were quickly donated to friends that weren't really friends.

Fast forward 30+ years to today and in wanting to see how these things looked before the rest of the parts arrived, I had to use make shift spikes and cones to see what the final look would be close to.

I had the stands firmly spiked to floor through the carpet, and the speaker spikes installed resting in magnesium disks that were hard coupled to the top of the stand - a way to get coupling without scratching the wood.

I turned it on and the magic sound of Tube Tots was completely COMPLETELY C O M P L E T E L Y gone.

The sound stage went from 16 feet wide to 5 feet at best.  The highs were shot.  The midrange was totally f'cked.  Bass was well I don't really know because I was so distracted by everything else that was broken.

See, these speakers are presently set on the inside of the 3-way house speakers so they are only 5 feet apart.  Despite this odd placement, they have a sound stage that is literally 16 feet wide.  It sounds like the speakers are placed well outside the 3-ways.  Suddenly spiking the speaker to the stand which is spiked to the floor which is concrete slab on dirt... made them sound like a boom box with a sound stage that was 5 feet wide.

I'm not kidding.

So the solution to get the sound back is to remove the spikes from the bottom of the Tube Tots and set the speakers on rubber 0-rings with the following specs:  Hardness 70 SHORE A (NBR 70) AS568 (#-210) 1/8x3/4

See picture:

This TINY little change restored the full glory of the Tube Tot sound and image and stage.  Literally.  The original stands that cost $60 on Amazon made from glass and thin aluminum were in fact perfect as well because they had shallow rubber pads between the speaker and the stand. These are at least as good if not better in sound but several notches better in looks I hope.  I can already hear the way they punch music into the room has gotten better.  Immediacy.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #49 - 01/23/22 at 04:10:23

I am also hearing a real improvement in the sax lower notes.  WAY MORE fleshy, breathy, dense.  Thank GOD because it was hard to accept  the $60 Amazon glass stand was as good as it was going to get.

Right now the bottom of the stand is decoupled from the black part spiked to the concrete with the same o-rings.  Yet with this stance is is very firm and does not rock or move.

Fleshy tones are better and projection is more immediate compared to glass Amazon stands.

I will see if I can find the model of the Amazon stands for people on a tight budget, and for anyone else I don't want to leave the stand to chance because it would HORRIFY ME to come to your home and hear these sound like they just did tonight when I improperly coupled them to the earth.

I also want to explore the same design in steel like the 3 way stands that inspired this design... so this could end anywhere...  If there is time I will create a cad file of the stand so that DIY guys can build their own.

Have a good night!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print