Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 12:19:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware integrated amp SE84I-5 as a preamp (Read 2163 times)
RossQ
Verified Member

Decware integrated amp SE84I-5 as a preamp
09/30/21 at 06:45:23

I ordered a Decware SE84I-5 about 10 months ago and Omega Super Alnico Monitors about 8 months ago. I knew they would take some time so, to get me by in the interim, I ordered the complete opposite system - a higher power Rogue Audio Magnum Cronus III with Magnepan LRS speakers, 2 x Rel T/5i sub woofers, a Denafrips Pontus DAC, Triode Wire Labs American speaker cables and interconnects. I use Audirvana streaming software via Mac Mini.
I just received by Decware amp that I ordered with RCA outputs.
Seeing my Omega’s still haven’t arrived I though what the heck I would link up the Decware amp to the Magnepan LRS. Not expecting much I was very pleasantly surprised how it sounded. Although not super loud it was enough for my 13 x 14 foot room. Amp set at about 2/3 volume and with music that’s not super complex I’m really liking it. So it got me thinking how would it sound using the DecWare RCA line outs. Can I line out to a power amplifier? Can I adjust the volume via my Decware? I don’t want to change the sound signature of the Decware so as think about the Channel Island Audio C-100S Power amplifier linked to the Magnepan LRS’s. Would that work?
The other option is use the Decware line out to the line input of the Rogue Intergrated amp. How would the sound and what about controlling the volume?
Cheers
Ross Q from Brisbane, Australia

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Re: Decware integrated amp SE84I-5 as a preamp
Reply #1 - 09/30/21 at 14:10:46

Do not use a tube amplifier without speakers connected to the outputs.
Get a used pair of high sensitivity speakers (Heresy?) to use until you receive the Omegas.

Get a tube preamp to use with a solid state amp and the LRSs if you must, but it won't sound anything like a single ended triode.

IP Logged
RossQ
Verified Member

Re: Decware integrated amp SE34I-5 as a preamp
Reply #2 - 10/05/21 at 02:03:23

Thanks Lin
Interesting talking with Steve at Decware the SE34I-5 can be used as a preamp with no speakers just need to add a 5W(4 to 16 ohm) resistor across each speaker terminal. He said it won’t sound like direct link to speakers but via the Power Amp to the Magnepans t should still pretty good because the Decware signature sound will still be embedded in the signal path.I will wait for my Omegas to arrive but seeing the Magnepans sound so different to boxed speakers going down that path may yield a different listening pleasure.Not sure if I will go there yet but will see.
Regards
Ross

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/05/21 at 03:38:38

I knew that resistors could be used (it is not always convenient to have speakers connected when working on a tube amp), but it seems like a waste to use 1/2 of an amp for something it is not designed for.
Since you have been on a buying spree, it makes more sense to me to buy a preamp to use as a preamp.

FWIW, YMMV, IMO, etc.

IP Logged
paulaross
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 10/21/21 at 05:12:39

Thanks Lin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print