Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/30/24 at 19:38:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube rolling rookie here (Read 4777 times)
Bob A
Verified Member

Tube rolling rookie here
09/15/21 at 21:47:32

I've had my SE84UFO for about 9 months and seriously love it.  Coming from a NAD C326BEE I was floored. My experience with tube amps is nil, this amp is my first so please bear with me! The stock tubes sound great so I bought a backup set of tubes, see below.

2 Genalex N709/EL84
1 Genalex E88C/6933
1 Tung-Sol 5AR4 rectifier

These tubes sound fine but honestly not all that different but they do serve their purpose as backup. I've looked at several tube sites pondering what to get next, read more forums to confuse my lil head but it always boiled down to too many to choose from and moreso not knowing what I was looking at. I ordered a set over the phone from Vintage Tube Services which was highly reccommended by others. The tubes didn't work at all, we couldn't figure it out. Seller is a great guy but I ended up returning them all. So that left me dropping the whole idea until today!

Reaching out to this forum for assistance. I listen to Deep House, classic 70's primarily. Looking for tube(s) that would produce a more airy vibe. Also if somebody could set me straight on what amp tube position changes the character of the sound more than the others.. all of them, the output or the input tubes, rectifier?

In advance, I know you guys will provide me some feedback to act on. Thanks !

SE84UFO 2020
Heresy IVs
Topping D50s dac
Fluance RT84 w/ 2M Blue
Schitt Mani
NAD C-538
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Tube rolling rookie here
Reply #1 - 09/15/21 at 22:22:22

Congrats on flying in the stratosphere with your first amp being among the very best!

As a caveat I don't listen to this type of music, I'm every day more and more a jazz person, especially acoustic and not electric instrument music. But here's a few suggestions.

I think the rectifier is a very important part of the signal path, though in these amps each tube is very revealing and influential. You might want to find a Type 80 globe rectifier and a four-to-eight pin converter base. There are examples on ebay and I have not gone wrong ordering either from ebay. This will give you a very big and bold sound with an airiness and space in between instruments. NOS 5U4G types may also give you a sound you seek. . .they can be very solid and dynamic and neutral sounding.
The one that Steve sends he generally advises replacing with a NOS version.

From my limited experience with Genelax tubes I think these are pretty good 6922 choices for your genre and taste. You might also look for Seimens NOS 6922 or a Telefunken, from my experience these have that character you seek.

As for output tubes I think Steve's own chosen, matched and extensively tested are the best--those you bought as backups are good for backups but buy your next pair from Steve. I find that mine need replacement about once a year, but then I am retired and my amps are on about 40 hours a week or more. . . .

Hope this helps. There is a lot of posts already on the forum about tube-rolling the SE84 amps, and I am sure others will offer suggestions as well.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 09/16/21 at 02:10:58

I just want to add to Lon's excellent advice. Instead of a 5U4 you can look for 5Z3 tubes, they are exactly the same, but have a 4 pin base (same as the type 80 tube, and use the same 4 to 8 pin adapter). They are usually available for less $$$ than the 5U4 version, so less painful to experiment with. At least for my Scottish Heritage.

Keep us posted with updates from your journey.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Bob A
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 09/16/21 at 13:01:09

Lon and CAJames,
Thanks for the great advice. I'm familiar with most of what you've suggested and will make them happen! Rainy day here in Atlanta, perfect for tube mining! I'll definetly get the adapter and will report back once I implement and compare.

SE84UFO 2020
Heresy IVs
Topping D50s dac
Fluance RT84 w/ 2M Blue
Schitt Mani
NAD C-538
  IP Logged
Bob A
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 09/16/21 at 18:44:05

Having some trouble finding the 4 to 8 adapter of which I thought would be easy to locate. All of them that I found on EBAY are in China.

If somebody could verify this one I found in the US I would appreciate it:

https://www.angela.com/octal8pinbottomto4pintoptubeadapterkit.aspx

Thanks ! Bob

SE84UFO 2020
Heresy IVs
Topping D50s dac
Fluance RT84 w/ 2M Blue
Schitt Mani
NAD C-538
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 09/16/21 at 21:21:13

Every one I have seen comes from China. This one will need assembly and wiring, which is why I have not tried one.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Bob A
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 09/16/21 at 21:22:14

China it is !  Thanks again Lon

SE84UFO 2020
Heresy IVs
Topping D50s dac
Fluance RT84 w/ 2M Blue
Schitt Mani
NAD C-538
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/17/21 at 11:55:50

Try this:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/193443110979
I have ordered several adapters from this person.  I know this seller was recommended by a Decware member.
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
Bob A
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 09/17/21 at 12:40:59

Thanks for the link, I ordered similar from China. I just didn't want to wait the 3 weeks for shipping. Seems odd nobody in the states sells these.

SE84UFO 2020
Heresy IVs
Topping D50s dac
Fluance RT84 w/ 2M Blue
Schitt Mani
NAD C-538
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/17/21 at 13:54:39

I hear ya.  My last order from him took two weeks.  Ordering NOS tubes from Russia takes longer!  Lol!

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #10 - 09/17/21 at 15:17:09

Yes, +1 for xulingmrs. I've bought many adapters for her and always had good results. Can't say the same thing about other ebay adapters.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/17/21 at 17:10:43

Those looking for high quality tube adapters should check out Garage1217. It's a small TX based shop that offers several different adapters with quick shipping. I have no relationship, just have bought several of their adapters. Here's the link: http://www.garage1217.com/new_website_011.htm

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Bob A
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 09/28/21 at 20:54:05

Reporting back here.. just received the adapter from China about 10 miutes ago. About a week ago I purchased a Arcturus #80 Rectifier. Of course I had never heard of the brand but just went for it. Results are very good.. loving it so far! Much more revealing and open than the stock tube.
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.. it's a win !!!

SE84UFO 2020
Heresy IVs
Topping D50s dac
Fluance RT84 w/ 2M Blue
Schitt Mani
NAD C-538
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #13 - 09/28/21 at 23:08:44

Good to hear!

So, now the question is do you quit while you're ahead? Or start obsessively hording collecting more and more tubes like, ahem, some of us?

IP Logged
Bob A
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 09/30/21 at 14:25:15

CA - Never quit !! My tube collection is very small so I have a ways to go. But I will keep coming back to you guys before I roll! Thank again.. Bob

SE84UFO 2020
Heresy IVs
Topping D50s dac
Fluance RT84 w/ 2M Blue
Schitt Mani
NAD C-538
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print