Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 02:00:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phono stage required for TT? (Read 2050 times)
Tippy
Verified Member

Phono stage required for TT?
08/24/21 at 18:20:43

Hi All -

New to the forum, and trying to determine how to set up my first turntable system (using a low output MC cartridge) with decware amp(s). I'm thinking about getting a SE84UFO25 model amp.

But what I don't understand is whether I would need a phono stage pre- amp, or if I could just use a step up transformer with the Zen Triode for the basic setup, and not worry about a phono stage (at least at the start - I could always get one later down the road). Or, do I need to have a phono stage connected to the zen triode in order to play LPs?

Mainly this is so I know how much I need to pull together to put into them next Spring.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

T

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Phono stage required for TT?
Reply #1 - 08/24/21 at 18:42:57

What cartridge do you have?

You will need a phono stage and possibly a SUT (Step Up Transformer) depending on which photo stage you use.

Part of what the phono stage does is apply the RIAA curve to the signal https://ledgernote.com/columns/mixing-mastering/riaa-curve/

Some phono stages have options for MC input and loading, others do not. The ZP3 does not so you would also need a SUT. To over simplify and only give a small piece, the SUT increases the gain and changes the load the cartridge sees. DECWARE also makes a SUT that has variable loading.

If you have not yet purchased a cartridge, consider getting a MM cartridge. They are generally less expensive, less fiddly than MC or MI carts. Hum sometimes is easier to track down with a MM vs MC.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Phono stage required for TT?
Reply #2 - 08/25/21 at 00:27:18

I run a low output MC and my chain is TT -- ZMC1 -- ZPS -- CSP3 -- ZROCK2 -- ZMA.  You'll likely need the ZMC1 and ZP3 or equivalent.  However, when I was waiting on my ZMC1 I did successfully run without it using the CSP3 to compensate.  There was increased noise though.  I don't recommend it long term.

I have an NAD PP2 that has inputs for both MM and MC but the MC is crap.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print