Send Topic Print
Zen alone (Read 2008 times)
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Zen alone
08/08/21 at 22:16:57

I finally sent my CSP3 back to Steve a few days ago to have the anniversary mods done. I had put this off because I did not want to take it out of the line up, and was stressed because I was not looking forward to losing some of the quality of sound.

Anyway, I finally unhooked everything and reconnected all using my Zen as amp and preamp. I got the music going, and was shocked at how great it sounded!  I remember how great everything sounded when I first put the CSP3 in my system and got it set up to my liking. Better quality from top to bottom.

I had the anniversary mods done to the Zen 4 or 5 months before I got the CSP3. I guess everything had seasoned in the Zen fully after I put the CSP3 in.

This really has me looking forward to getting the modded CSP3 back now. If the Zen sounds this much better alone with the mods, then I think I can expect the same with the modded pre back in.

Bottom line is, if you have a Zen, and are on the fence about spending the money to have the mods done, send it on to Steve. It will make a big difference!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Zen alone
Reply #1 - 08/09/21 at 01:18:24

Geno,

I think it's a really good exercise to pull equipment and do without once in a while.  Several years ago I took my CSP3 out and thought how great the sound was -- until I put it back in!  lol  This is why I get a kick out of Steve as he constantly tries to find ways of expressing improvements in already fantastic sound.  Face melting might be my new favorite.   Grin

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 08/22/21 at 00:25:59

I just got an email that my modded CSP3 is ready to be shipped. I should have it by mid-week. I’m ready to have my face melted 🥸

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/23/21 at 04:50:00

Thats great news Geno! Having heard the 25th anniversary edition, I can say you're in for a treat. Look forward to even more resolution and dynamics. I sold my 25th and purchased another used CSP3 with only the basic Jupiter beeswax cap upgrade in the signal path.

BIG difference for the worse, which is why I must change it myself iaw Steve's 25th A mods.

I had to sell the 25th anniversary edition because it had no capability for headphones, and since I just sold my Taboo Mk 4 in favor of the ultra long wait for a Torii Mk 5 which has no headphone capability, you can see the musical chair domino effect, lol.   Had to sell the Taboo because of the lack of jack @ 3.2w into 95db efficient speakers

Well anyway, whats more important is that you will be all set! ENJOY

Brad

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print