03/19/24 at 09:37:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Incoming SE84UFO (Read 3760 times)
Thermionic
Verified Member

Incoming SE84UFO
07/24/21 at 19:00:32

I have a slightly used SE84UFO with anniversary mods coming in.  As a precaution I ordered a spare tube set from Decware, thanks Sarah.  The owner supplied an Amazon 3 foot 18AWG power cord separately with it.  I think that is going in my junk drawer.  Any power cord recommendations?
Also, anything I should be checking with regards to this amplifier upon arrival?  Once it settles in I may play around with voltage rectifier tubes.  Should I decide to pursue 80 series rectifiers what would be the best adapter plug and where best to purchase the adapters?
TIA.

Smiley

SE84UFO anniversary mods, Coda 02b, Sim Audio LP310, Linn LP 12, Metrum Onyx, MAC mini, PAP Trio15 Classic PiFe, OPPO 103, PSA P15 regen, various cables, many LPs
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Incoming SE84UFO
Reply #1 - 07/24/21 at 19:36:11

The DECWARE PC is a solid choice. Blue Jeans Cable BAV PC is another option. https://iconoclastcable.com/bav/index.htm  If you have a higher budget I would look at Zenwave Audio www.zenwaveaudio.com

As for the rectifiers. If you got tubes from DECWARE let them play for a few weeks so you know what the supplied tubes sound like. This will also give you a baseline on what direction you want to go. You can read the many tube rolling threads about how the different rectifiers change the sound.

type 80 adapters can be found on ebay and online retailers like www.tubedepot.com

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
Thermionic
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 07/25/21 at 00:47:57

GroovySauce
Thanks for the suggestions on PC and regulator tubes.  You are spot on on trying to get a handle on the sound prior to making any changes.  If memory serves I have a stash of rectifier tubes from previous projects.  So they may be a first option. Was looking at Charney speakers and see you are using PAP speakers.  The PAP Trio15 Classic appear to be a reasonable option for my application.  Still looking for speakers, the Lii Silver 10 is an option, but the PAP has a more finished look to my eye.  Maybe we can chat sometime about speakers.
Thx

Smiley

SE84UFO anniversary mods, Coda 02b, Sim Audio LP310, Linn LP 12, Metrum Onyx, MAC mini, PAP Trio15 Classic PiFe, OPPO 103, PSA P15 regen, various cables, many LPs
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/25/21 at 15:16:40

What would you like to know about the speakers?

I'm not familiar with Charney speakers, I've listened to the Lii Audio Crystal 10's and F15's in OB.

After listening to OB speakers it's hard to go back to box speakers.

Comparing the Lii Audio drivers to the Voxativ. The Voxativ seems more linear top to bottom. The Lii seems almost a little aggressive on top compared to the Voxativ. I would suggest copper cables for the Lii and silver for the Voxativ. The Voxativ is a little more refined, I hesitate to say laid back. Lii is more raw. Counter intuitively the Voxativ is more sensitive to cables, the Lii doesn't seem to care as much.

I highly recommend the PAP speakers, There is something special about having all the 15" drivers playing up to 500-600hz I'm not sure exactly where the roll of is, that gives a visceral whole body experience even at very low levels. I'm happy to answer specific questions.

Ze'ev at PAP is a great guy and really wants his customers to be happy. Give him a call.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
Thermionic
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 07/25/21 at 18:38:50

@GroovySauce.  Your summary helped quite a bit.  I have not heard the Lii Silver 10 with the F-15 in an open baffle, but did hear it sans F-15 as a Decware ZEN Master-ZC10M, which included the ZROCK.  I also have heard the Silver Reference 10.  Both driven by the ZEN SE84UFO25.  I liked both, and I do think you nailed the one drawback of the Lii Silver 10, a little aggressive and the high end and slightly shelved up in the upper mids, lower high frequencies.  At least that is how I heard it.  I liked both but the aesthetics are not quite what I'm looking for.  The PAP Trio Classic 15 though is a handsome looking speaker, and could fit my room and more importantly my budget.  I'll give PAP a call.  Thanks.

Smiley

IP Logged
Thermionic
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 07/27/21 at 19:45:50

@GroovySauce, just wanted to thank-you for your comments regarding the Pure Audio Project (PAP) Quintet 15 Open Baffle Speakers.  I spoke to Ze'ev this morning and will most likely need to sort out a thing or two.  My wife looked at the images and we both agree the Classic style fits our taste.  At this point it is between the Classic Trio 15 AC1.6 or the Classic Trio 15 PiFe.
Considered the Quintet but size wise it is too imposing for our room.
I do have two questions, first have you compared the Voxativ AC 1.6 and the PiFe, and have you upgraded the Thierer x-over?  I am considering the Mundorf cap/resistor upgrade.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/27/21 at 23:40:01

You’re welcome! I really love my PAP speakers. I have not listened to the PiFe driver. I did try the Horn1 and it wasn’t for me.

I did upgrade the parts of the XO. From day one I planned on getting really nice speaker cable to replace the supplied cables and building a point to point soldered XO with components of my choosing. I’ve almost completed my upgrade. Just need to find a nice board to mount the XO on and solder it up.

Great thing about the PAP speakers is you can later try different components to experience what they do and how they change the sound. It can take hundreds of hours for them to season and sound their best though. Discuss with Ze'ev about the way they change the sound, he is a straight shooter.

I do have to say. Before all the components arrived before I swapped out the speaker cables I was already so happy with the music and everything I was wondering if it was worth upgrading everything. It was so good! The upgrades did just push it over the top though!

What does the rest of your system look like? With the DECWARE amp and the PAP speakers you have world class components. Depending on what the rest of your system is I would suggest going with the 1.6 and give Dave at Zenwave a call and get work with him and your budget to get some really good cables. I also suggest the Snake River Audio cables. Jonny is another really great guy to work with. SRA has a higher price of entry vs Zenwave.

IP Logged
Thermionic
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 07/28/21 at 02:47:11

GrooveySauce:  The reason I asked about crossover upgrades is that I am considering the Mundorf Cap and Resistor upgrades, which at this point I plan on doing.  As far as internal wiring, I'll hold off until the speakers break in, but would target a low inductance and relatively low capacitance speaker wire. It also should have very low DCR.  Once this gets sorted out I'll post system components.  It is replacing a modest system, in its day it was considered pretty good and to this day sounds great.  I just would like to try the SET/high efficiency thing once.  I have not landed on which full range driver I'll use as the price difference is about 25% of the net cost.  I am leaning towards the PiFe.

IP Logged
Thermionic
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 07/30/21 at 17:51:46

Went with the PAP TRIO 15 PiFe with Mundorf cap and resistor upgrade.  A great match with the SE84UFO.

[smiley=tunes29.gif]

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/05/21 at 20:20:50

Switcheroo at the last moment? what changed from the Classic to the Trio?

Start a new thread and post a photo once you get your speakers all setup! They really need a lot of time to open up. I was disappointed when I first got my Quintets, Now I'm extremely happy and have no desire to consider other speakers.

I briefly powered my Quintets with the UFO25TH and it paired really well. I prefer the DECWARE PP sound over DECWARE SET

I don't know about the upgraded Mundorf Caps as I've only heard the Munforf Supreme. I did get the upgraded Mundorf resistors and it's worth the upgrade.

IP Logged
Thermionic
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 08/05/21 at 21:03:48

@GroovySauce
The Trio15 and the Trio15 Classic are one in the same.  The difference is the Classic has a more finished look to it with "grill covers front and back and are delivered fully assembled.  Hopefully the SE84UFO25 will pull it off.  I believe it will.  A delivery date for the speakers is not set. I'd imagine it will be mid to late August.  My intentions are to break the speakers in with a spare solid state amplifier for the first 300 hours, or two weeks of continuous play.  Regarding the CAPS I am hoping the Mundorf EVO  SilverGold Oil caps provide for more layering and minimized microphonics.  Time will tell.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print