Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 21:13:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speaker Placement Choices - New Home (Read 1540 times)
dao
Verified Member

Speaker Placement Choices - New Home
07/01/21 at 03:00:31

I have a set of Klipsch Forte IVs I just received and I'm trying to decide where to place them. Image provided. I can set them up in Room A adjacent to my BDI Corridor media center or I can set them up in Room B on either side of the opening into Room A. I suppose there are other options as well...just not drawn in. There are currently no window treatments on any windows...due to living in total isolation in the remote Ozarks. We just moved in. Adding curtains and room treatments can certainly be done. I'd love to get some experienced insight. I will be ordering one or two Decware amps very soon. I have no plans for loud music...just moderate levels. Many thanks. Dao

Main_Area_001.jpg

Forte IVs . Reisong A10 (temp) . 2 x SE84UFO2's (on order) . Pontus II . CXN V2
  IP Logged
Marbia
Verified Member

Re: Speaker Placement Choices - New Home
Reply #1 - 07/01/21 at 16:16:32

I would test both rooms and different placement in each room, then choose what sounds best.

IP Logged
dao
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 07/01/21 at 16:48:49

You know what. That makes perfect sense and I will absolutely do that. Simple advice is sometimes the best advice. Smiley

Forte IVs . Reisong A10 (temp) . 2 x SE84UFO2's (on order) . Pontus II . CXN V2
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/01/21 at 19:12:59

I am no expert on room, but can offer some general setup thoughts that might be worth considering and/or expanding on relative to the setup ideas you illustrate.

I think working as much as you can with relative symmetry for speaker placement, various reflection surfaces, diffusion and absorption, can make things easier. More space from the walls/corners for speakers and seat are also well established as important for less damaging reflections and room mode buildup, and better tonal balances and soundstage. Related, a big reflective surface like a large TV panel between and behind the speakers is very likely to mess with your sound and soundstage.... The window behind the couch in B, especially with the couch so close could be problematic as well. But all in all, B looks conceptually better to me as a starting place.... especially with a few changes.

The difference in reflections between the relatively closer wall of books and whatever (different diffusion and absorption properties than more reflective flat surfaces), compared to a wide side space in the other direction, could likely be heard with a resolving system. But I suspect this arrangement could balance out some and be much better than the one side wall being so close to your speaker in A. I think the speaker placement relative to walls/corners in A (along with the TV) would likely be pretty disruptive for ideal tonal balance and soundstage potential. Alternately, I think the speakers and seat being out in the room side-to-side in B could mitigate reflection/sound imbalances having greater sidewall distances. An issue of B for serious listening could be the refrigerator being so close, especially if not in an enclosed cabinet space to help reduce side-to side noise.

Also in B the couch is quite close to the wall/window, and not just corners, but wall edge spaces tend to be lower frequency buildup/muddle zones (you can find simple in-room models that illustrate this online). And a big glass surface, especially as close to your seat/head, as illustrated, could mess with reflections in mind confusing and disturbing ways.

So, aside from absorption and diffusion, if you can get the couch out more, I think it could be notably better...likely well worth visual and sonic experiments. And especially if you could get the speakers out more from the wall behind them in B, with a symmetrical opening between/behind them, this could do some good things for reducing reflection and room mode issues, in effect making it more like a larger room.

I think this setup could be similar to an idea I have not explored, but that I think Steve tends to really like for better balance and a big soundstage. I can't elaborate based on experience with details of speaker placement relative to an opening behind (worth experiments), but I think I recall Steve built his latest room with an open segue behind the gear and speakers due to having discovered sound improvements from similar setups in earlier rooms. You can likely find references in the forum or white papers, as well as see how he designed in an open segue  in the present room on some of his videos.

Anyway, I have found that before room treatments, initial room setup can help avoid or enhance sonic woes, and hopefully these generalities might be useful as you start in your explorations.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print