Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 11:16:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
QN - Anniversary edition versus SE84UFO2 with XLR? (Read 1894 times)
Peter Booth
Verified Member

QN - Anniversary edition versus SE84UFO2 with XLR?
06/25/21 at 21:35:13

I am interested in buying a Decware amp, and was considering the Anniversary Edition. Then I remembered that my Schitt DAC has second XLR output stage that I don't currently use. It appears that the XLR option is available on the "regular" SE84UFO2 but not the Anniversary edition. Is this correct?

Does XLR make a significant difference to sound? Is there an obvious "best choice" here?

Peter

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Re: QN - Anniversary edition versus SE84UFO2 with XLR?
Reply #1 - 06/25/21 at 23:55:03

Welcome Peter.

The answer to your first question is "Calll Steve".  I'm sure you will find him very helpful.

I am similar to you in that I also have a DAC that has every input and out known to man.  My preamp only accepts RCA.  I use Decware interconnects.

I could not be happier with what I hear.  There are many folks on these forums that spend long green on interconnects and such and I'm sure they will offer advise.  To each his own but a wise man once told me "If it Sounds Good it is good".

Dennis

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/26/21 at 03:37:54

Quote:
It appears that the XLR option is available on the "regular" SE84UFO2 but not the Anniversary edition. Is this correct?

That is correct. But Decware offers an outboard solution by way of the ZBIT, here:

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZBIT.html

It's the same transformer either way, but the ZBIT has a volume knob, which is able to increase or decrease the balanced signal. With this function you can try it with the amp volume higher and the ZBIT lower, then the reverse, with ZBIT higher and amp volume lower. Then just keep it wherever it's more to your liking.

By almost all accounts, the SE84UFO25 is sonically well beyond the already exemplary SE84UFO2, and well worth the expense.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/26/21 at 08:20:58

Hi Peter,

My 2 cents is XLR was developed to decrease noise created by long runs of low voltage signal cables as found in commercial gear. It adds circuitry to the signal path.

So if interconnects are short like 5 or 10 foot XLR cable might add some unwanted artifacts from the conversion process circuits. If the runs are at a greater distance than XLR would be desirable.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print