Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 09:34:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question of SE84UFO25 with Volume Control (Read 4835 times)
sz66panzer
Verified Member

Question of SE84UFO25 with Volume Control
06/14/21 at 13:25:18

Hi! I'm new here and havn't got a Decware engine yet.
I read that SE84UFO25 could choose to have Volume Control or not. My question is that if choose to have Volume Control ,could this SE84UFO25 be paired with a Preamp ,such as paired with Decware's own Preamp?
Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Question of SE84UFO25 with Volume Control
Reply #1 - 06/14/21 at 13:33:00

Yes, definitely--having its own volume control would not in any way mean a preamp could not be used as well.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/14/21 at 14:50:25

I chose to go with the "Smooth Action Volume Controls" on mine.  I have the "20 Position Stepped Volume Control" on my CSP3.  I have found this combination to be very versatile.

I have found that infinite adjustability of the SA controls gives me just that bit of volume adjustability that from time to time is nice to have.  When I sent my CSP3 in for the Anniversary mods the UFO25 became an integrated and I still had music.  In case your wondering... although it was very good (understatement) as an integrated, I would not give up my CSP3-A!

The system is SO good that I don't even give the choices I have made a second thought.

IP Logged
sz66panzer
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/15/21 at 03:25:26

Thank you @Lon,@JOMAN
I now understand. My own taste prefer more to "20 Position Stepped Volume Control" Smiley

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/20/21 at 13:58:07

Mine is without the volume control(s) as I drive the unit with a preamp.  Steve must have set the output of my amp at 75-90% (I am not sure) of its full volume, and I am very happy with the simplicity...

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/25/21 at 23:10:27

i have the stepped volume control but have never used it really.  I have it pegged wide open and adjust volume via zbit or dac acting as a pre.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/26/21 at 00:55:49

Pal, I question the logic of putting the amp at 100%.  I do the opposite.  I push as many volts into the amp as I can and use no more that 1/4 of the amp's volume control.  I do this for weight/density.  I presume you've tried this?  You may not be able to push as much voltage since I see you aren't using a CSP3 like I am.  Maybe this makes a difference?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/26/21 at 01:06:15

It’s been well over a year since I experimented so maybe I should try again but I thought my current setup worked best back then.  I also thought that was how Steve was running his.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #8 - 08/26/21 at 01:16:11

I also pump max voltage into the SE84UFO25 via ZSTAGE25th and have my stepped attenuators set in the lower range.

"riding the gain"

The ZSTAGE manual has a detailed explanation in it.

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/26/21 at 01:38:04

Well I thought I’d just head down to my room and give it a whirl.  Then I remembered that I am tri-amping and I’ll need to tweak all three amps. So I just sat down and started listening to music.  I’m curious though and will give it a shot some time when I have the patience.

I listened to all rips today versus streaming and I forgot how much better the rips are.  I also realized how much better my system sounds than it did back when last I listened to rips.

IP Logged
__Jon__
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 12/20/21 at 21:21:05

I wonder if Steve would consider a different stepped volume control, with 40 or 50 steps, as a custom option? I have the stepped on my ZMA and like it, but the volume changes are substantial between stops.  If I didn’t have finer control on my DAC, I might feel differently.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print