04/18/24 at 06:11:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Deaf Audiophile (Read 3221 times)
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Deaf Audiophile
03/14/21 at 01:26:00

An audiophile friend in WA sent me this video. I thought that maybe it would be of interest to some of you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNrcb-9Gi8c

Randy

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Re: Deaf Audiophile
Reply #1 - 03/14/21 at 01:59:02

Thanks for sharing, Randy.

Lots of beautiful truths in that eight and a half minute video!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/14/21 at 13:38:27

wow, that is incredible. very moving!

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/14/21 at 19:28:47

How awesome! I currently live a few miles from Morganton, NC where the School for the deaf is located.  I've always been told the deaf have a unique way of hearing/interpreting music.  The video brings this home.  It is also a sort of wake up call for me to be more appreciative of music as a gift.  And yes, from a higher power.  For a good many of us, music speaks to us in such a way that it has the capacity to transport us to a new level of consciousness.  Zen?  Nirvana?  Not sure.  But, for me at least, it is transformative.

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
thethanimal

Reply #4 - 03/16/21 at 20:36:21

I posted this on the Stereophile site last night, where I first saw the link to the video.

A beautifully moving reminder of the creative adaptability of the crowning achievement of creation — our human bodies. Both viewings (had to watch again with the wife) brought tears, but the second triggered thoughts of material properties of Mylar, hypotheses on optimum relative pressures, the possible merits of alternative balloon gases, and other considerations of physical principles. Perhaps more than any other story, essay, or op-ed, this video elucidates and distills the debate: objective pursuits are laudatory insofar as they remain subservient to the subjective. The physical exists as a platform from which we may commune with the spiritual, so that we may experience “the sound of God talking.” Does God’s voice have second-order harmonics? Or is it clinical, incisive, perfect? Does our hermeneutic allow room for both to be true, perhaps for different people simultaneously, or even for our own experience at different times, according to our emotional needs? It’s this duality — yin and yang, liberal and conservative, man and woman — which builds unity out of tension that makes us whole.

On another note, what does this experience teach us about extrasensory perception? If the auditory cortex can be remapped to our sense of touch, might it be true that our bodies are always synthesizing information from all receptors through all sensory cortexes? If this information is always at a lower signal level we would not be aware of it at all unless it gets hijacked (synesthesia) or hacked (Bob!) — we have not learned to listen, see, feel, or smell deeply enough. If our bodies are processing this information while our consciousness is busy yelling at CNN or Fox News, perhaps our “I just have a feeling” moments are our bodies’ way of trying to break through the ignorance. Maybe we all need to learn to slow down and listen “through the noise floor” to what our world is trying to tell us.

Food for thought, which might be what’s keeping me from the actual food staring at me from the refrigerator as I sit in the night listening to music while the rest of the house sleeps. These COVID-19 lbs aren’t going to just isolate themselves away. I have to work to flatten the curve.

IP Logged
thethanimal

Reply #5 - 03/16/21 at 20:55:57

I’ve been wanting to find a way to audition some Altecs, and that video further cemented that desire.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 03/16/21 at 22:28:29

Growing up next to a deaf family....I saw first hand how when one sense becomes handicap, other senses become heightened.  My friend Gary drove an old Chevy Camaro IROC-Z.  The car had a modified exhaust and a totally kickass stereo system with so much bass you could hear him coming down the block.  

Gary was not only able to feel the bass in the car, he said he could come very close to knowing what frequency was being played in the lower frequencies.  

Needless to say the video was very moving and inspirational.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print