Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 21:03:34 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
room correction devices & software (Read 7137 times)
piezoman
Ex Member

room correction devices & software
03/04/21 at 18:27:43

does anybody use this, for example: https://www.minidsp.com/products/opendrc-series/opendrc-di

i am in the midst of putting together a DIY absorber panel & diffuser plan, getting help from others [I have no idea how many panels / diffusers at the moment].

then i ran into the idea of possibly adding room correction technology, in addition to the room treatments.

for a couple hundred dollar so so, are these "sound shapers" a good idea, or am i unnecessarily complicating matters?

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: room correction devices & software
Reply #1 - 03/04/21 at 18:56:03

They have their use and might be a god send for some systems.

My brother had a MiniDSP room correction something something in his system for awhile. It can help alleviate bass energy problems. It never sounded quite right. We both agree that using absorption to correct the bass energy is the optimal way to do it. I'd rather have a more uneven freq response that use a miniDSP type product. However, if I had a really bad peak at say 40hz I couldn't tame, I would consider it.

If you want to play both digital and analogue sources you will need an A/D converter for the analogue. Or get a unit that takes an analogue signal and then does the wizard stuff.

Issue is that it becomes the weakest link really quickly. I found making a filter with REW and loading it into HQPlayer or Roon works better. This only is a streaming and server option though. I prefer not to do this.

If possible getting some high "horsepower" bass absorbers is my first choice.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/04/21 at 19:20:16

Groove, understood -  thanks.

Makes great sense to me. I was suspicious of adding another unit into the audio chain anyway, less is more.

And it sounds like its too likely to provoke more harm than good.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/04/21 at 19:28:02

Any electronic room correction device is going to taint the music. It will lose/mask information from the source in the process.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/04/21 at 19:31:58

I do use a ZRock2, and I'll leave that to be the only intervention.

Thanks guys

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/04/21 at 19:46:30

Piesoman,
Place four 2x4 absorbsion panels one each on first reflection points of side walls and ceiling. Two 2x4 centered on back wall. One 2x4 on the front wall behind each open baffle speaker. Use a mirror and helper to find the points.

If your bass is good, no need to fool with the corners which is usally reserved for bass absorbsion using diaphram panels.

Good start.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/04/21 at 20:21:13

Quote:
Piesoman,
Place four 2x4 absorbsion panels one each on first reflection points of side walls and ceiling. Two 2x4 centered on back wall. One 2x4 on the front wall behind each open baffle speaker. Use a mirror and helper to find the points.

If your bass is good, no need to fool with the corners which is usally reserved for bass absorbsion using diaphram panels.

Good start.

John

I also plan on diffuser panels to intersperse with the absorption panels. I've learned that both are critical in a small room. Mine is 12x10x8.

I understand corner bass 24x48x2 panels straddled 45* across the adjacent corner walls [air gap] is also critical.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 03/04/21 at 22:34:56

This is the best room correction tool.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/05/21 at 00:05:19

LOL

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/05/21 at 01:02:46

This was quite a long time ago, so may not relate to current amp models totally. But all else the same, when I changed from a SE34 to a Torii III, my room overloaded, the Torii bass overwhelming the balance. I talked with Steve, and he gave me good ideas for how to make low range diaphragmatic bass traps, and other pointers. With a fair bit of reading online as well, I also made some absorbers for mid bass, and for higher frequencies. Putting these everywhere I could without too much visual distraction in my living room, I used a full box of rigid fiberglass in this process and a fair bit of foam on top of some some of the absorbers.

Much better, and not wanting to impose more absorbers on my room, I started experimenting by-sound with EQ. I started by making a very narrow parametric EQ peaking at 10-12 dB and slowly swept it from bottom to top with bass strong music playing. This EQ was in Pure Music player software, so I was adjusting the actual digital files Pure played from my hard drive. No added hardware or cables made it a nicely transparent way to adjust EQ.

Then doing these sweeps again while playing a small selection of heavy bass recordings, room resonant frequencies as I met them  sounded hyped and unnatural, overwhelming the sound. In rare cases the 12 dB EQ bump did nothing apparent, implying a place the room was cancelling frequencies rather than accentuating them. Not many of these, I focussed more on the ones that were being amped up by the room, writing down those frequencies from my sweeps, including perceived intensity of each.

The rest of the spectrum seeming quite good with my particular room and absorbers, but I did find some minor resonant frequencies in the mids and highs also. Though much less extreme, I noted them too.

Then I carefully attenuated peaky frequencies using very specific, quite narrow parametric Qs. Going further by carefully locating the worst peak frequency of each noted area, I then conservatively found an ideal level of attenuation by sound, and the best width for the EQ. The same method applied one by one to all problem frequencies, the remaining room modes absorption had not fully resolved were very musically improved.

Bass the worst, several bass area cuts were ±5-6 dB, and I found I could further improve on this with a few general bass self cuts of a dB pr two, finally putting in a big bass shelf cut (-18 dB) from 16-18 HZ down.

Other than low bass, EQ adjustments were much less intense, usually from plus or minus 0.11 dB, to 1.57 dB, and only a few at 1.57 dB. And these too were quite narrow, most 0.1- 0.15 octaves wide, with a few around 0.19. So above low bass, I used mostly very small EQs, but these were very nice refinements, especially collectively. Very small adjustments indicating to me that my room was quite good through most of spectrum, still, the “real” sound emerged notably from these little changes, so doing the work was well worth it.

Using this method, my first adjustment run was highly effective, the sound getting better balanced, faster and more musically complex by chilling the most aberrant room-accentuated/created EQs. Then, over time, as odd sounding problems showed up with the occasional recording, now and then I would do another sweep to locate trouble areas, but mostly just played with predetermined EQ widths and intensities.

Hearing more altogether as things got less masked by excess frequencies, subtler imbalances, lows, mids and highs were better revealed, allowing further identification and refinement with new EQ adjustments. All along I was seeking sound I thought was balanced, natural and more real sounding, and doing this across recordings, going too far, or not far enough for good balance across recordings also became more obvious.

Having enjoyed playing acoustic and electric instruments much of my life, and loving to work on things like tuning braces on guitars, or adjusting violin sound with sound posts and bridge tuning, I felt like I had developed relatively believable discernment, so trusted what I heard.

And generally not trusting our immature tech over very complex and advanced human perception, I intentionally did not use Room EQ Wizard or the like. I did not want to get stuck on what was measured as "right," preferring to find it by what my body/mind "measured." I also thought this might be a better way to balance frequency issues considering phase/time issues being inherently different when amping up or attenuating different parts of the frequency range.

I still use this foundation many years later, and as my system gets better, sometimes I start noticing places I can improve, and usually can refine whatever I am hearing by casually fine tuning over a few days on various recordings.… By adjusting a little EQ bump or valley up or down, often by only 0.01- 0.07 Db, and/or by moving it a touch, or widening or narrowing the Q with slight adjustments, I can refine as needed. Over time, refining remaining room issues with relatively subtle EQ for the most part, it just sounds more right, more balanced and alive, faster and more resolving.

While exploring fixing my room issues, I found other helpers....like Marigo resonance damping dots, very good at subtly and progressively reducing speaker driver resonances in musical ways....tightening bass and increasing space and resolution due to solving resonances that cause loading and smearing. Also I learned to carefully tune the speaker plinth space, adjusting the passive bass from the MG944s and HR-1s to sound best. And this led to exploring internal damping more, further clarifying the tone across the spectrum, but particularly making bass more natural, full but tighter, so more impactful with better leading edges and decays. I found Schumann Resonators, ending up with one made by Kemp when they were on sale... and liking it, later got another when on sale. Can't say exactly why they work, but in my setup, optimally set, they somehow make the room accept musical frequencies from bottom to top more openly, less smeared, revealing more fine detail and space, and thus a cleaner more complex sound with better atmosphere and soundstage. Here, it sounds like it somehow makes frequencies more coherent, less interactive with one another. Also I discovered ways to use tumbled crystals of different types and mixes. Functioning like a filter, among other things, they can apparently draw off noise energy and convert it to heat, increasing clarity and dynamics with careful use and placement.....Some rock and metals are deadening, and some awakening, so I continue to explore this, always discovering new ways to improve these "filters."

Also, like Lon sometimes talks about, I too have found you can do a lot to help resolve room sound issues by making all the system parts more resolving and musical. Roughly, the way I see it, one reason this works is that the less smearing and aberrant distortions and frequency imbalances coming from the speakers, the less there is for the room to mess up further.

Within all of this, I have been really careful to keep what I think is a fundamental baseline of full spectrum balance so that I can trust changes I make with system parts or modifications. And so far, I feel like I have been pretty successful in that.

Each time I listen to Decfest, though not the best comparison being streamed, heard through my headphone setup, and pre adjustments being played with during the Fest.… But within this, consistently, my sound seems to be a lot like the most listened-to setups each year, and better than the rest.

Several years ago, I was able to listen off and on throughout, and my favorite sound was the Mystery amp through the el Caminos with tape as source. The el Caminos, fast and musical, and tape resolving, this was very close to the sound in my setup with my tuned up computer/DAC, seriously adjusted amps, and modified HR-1s.

Then, a few years ago, I think the last Fest, my spectral balance and speed here sounded in between the two most listened to setups I noticed that year. Closest to the 25th SE84 playing through the original Big Baffles, my sound was a little softer and more atmospheric to me. Those super hardwood big baffles were a little overstated by my tastes, so my sound was not as dramatic as them, being close, but having more of the atmospheric magic of Bob's new HR-1s driven by the Mystery amp. To me that HR system was also a little overstated, too “warm,” dark and slow for my tastes. So I found it interesting that my sound had some of the sweet atmosphere of the HRs, while also being faster and clearer, in ways more like the big baffle/25th sound. In the middle somewhere, I figured I was on a good track.

In both years, if my headphone interpretation of the streams was relatively accurate, the biggest difference was that my setup was more resolving of the finest details and spacial information. But I have been tuning with this in mind for many years, so this made sense to me. The upshot though, these listening comparisons supported trusting my perception as I tune my system/room, while implying that whatever I was doing to hold a realistic balance intact as I change and modify things was working pretty well. What a trip!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/05/21 at 01:59:01

So play with the source Will! I admire your dedication for a very fine tuned system of your taste. If the sound coming out of your system is detailed as your writing - holy grail.

John

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/05/21 at 03:25:15

Hey John. I agree, we could refer to taste, and I recognize this as real, but I also am beginning to think we may tend to give personal taste more weight in our audio discussions than it deserves, especially when those discussing these things are long lovers of music, and experienced audio heads and listeners.

I am thinking that though there are variables in how our body/minds perceive sound, my guess is that if we are basically healthy, what defines the sound we like might fundamentally come down to basic human perception and discernment having pretty defined parameters for what feels real.  ....I am thinking this is based on how we evolved, how we are made. And though the wild cards of cultural "training" do alter our senses of "reality," my guess is that our basic needs as human beings are at the foundation of most of what makes music feel right.

To illustrate this idea, why do really good guitars, though all different in some values, why do the great ones sound complete spectrally, and in nuances... and to most who hear them? Or violins, or pianos, or drums. Certainly there exists a range among great instruments, but the great ones do it all well within that, and enjoy a strong consensus agreement among serious listeners.

So even though each has complex variations of tonal and timbral emphasis, all the greats sound complete, and I am pretty sure that is based on basic human makeup. Makeup that also defines choices in how we make things sound good... I think decisions are most based on how good sound feels to our body/minds.

And I would say the same holds true for fine audio in the home. Consider audio shows. Though a lot sounds bad due to rooms, etc, there is almost always a strong consensus among judges and listeners, which room, and which components are "best." I guess this agreement is based on our human makeup defining what qualities of sound we tend to like, especially if we are one of those who dig in.

So to me, getting my system room to sound "alive" and "real" is the goal...and it is far from all ears...music vibrating our spaces and body/minds. With all perception and discernment, I seek a musical experience like being in the room where the recording was made....or in fact, in many cases better, which I think these days we are quite capable of with care and dedication.

At the same time, as I imagine you also notice from all your explorations, "real" music has vast, and very specific perimeters and balance, and it does not take a whole lot to throw it off from feeling "just right." So those of us deeply dedicated to discovering the depths of great audio at home, we listen and learn, experience and learn.

This is part of what led me to trying over time to develop a system/room that is really good across recordings. With recordings qualities so variable, this clearly is challenging. But the trap of making a system that sounds great with the best recordings only, is that it is harder to discern problems with great recordings, and easier to get off track.

And every year it becomes easier to use the broad reference of many recordings to find the balance of beauty. With tools people like Steve have developed, tools that can sound natural, sweet and revealing, while having a great deal of tuning flexibility with tubes, feet, power, cables, gain tuning, etc, and finally, especially with gain riding, it gets easier to get great sound across more recordings.

Interestingly for me, as a system/room gets progressively more nuanced and refined, the "holy grail" gets more nuanced and refined. By now, my amps and speakers have most parts and wires upgraded individually and progressively by sound. Also most of my cables were made and tuned by sound. And wildly, this happened over many years, and with each little step, there was a notable improvement on something that had started great. Yet as I get further into approaching grail territory, the grail keeps poking its head up, out there seducing me, but showing itself as even more complex.... touchable, yet also remaining elusive. Amazing process to me, so far, as the music grows more captivating, I also find more to improve toward an ultimately engaging experience.

And yes, my source could no doubt be better, and I definitely think about it...maybe dig into a really good ladder DAC is the latest. But then I listen to what I have and am amazed... sounding so good that talk of analog versus digital has had little relevance to me for quite a long time. This is in part because the source is finely tuned, from the power, to the computer itself and its software and setup, to hard drives, to cables, to a modified Singxer USB convertor, to having seriously modified my DAC... then a ZBIT and CSP3.... My front end is really good to me, but I am looking at it, as everything else. It is all a big puzzle I love to play with, a more enticing musical experience always giving sneak peaks!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 03/05/21 at 10:56:01

Quote:
It is all a big puzzle I love to play with, a more enticing musical experience always giving sneak peaks!

I'm immersed with agreement of your closing.

Sometimes it can be frustrating.

Wink

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 03/05/21 at 11:50:35

Quote:
I understand corner bass 24x48x2 panels straddled 45* across the adjacent corner walls [air gap] is also critical.

Corner panels as described above will do little to absorb bass. The bass will just hang in the corner as always. Some bass will be absorbed by the absorbent material in the panel.

A better way to utilize material in the construction of a panel and add some would be to rip the furring at a 45 degree angle and attach it to the wall vertically coming out lets say 2' from the corner. Add the absorbent material, preferably rockwool board, between the furring. Then attach a spacer strip creating a 1/2" gap in front of the rockwool to the outside edge of the furring. Cover the the whole assembly with 1/4" plywood and finish to taste.

The idea is to resonate the plywood with the standing wave and excite the enclosed air in the cavity therefore vibrating the rockwool fibers creating heat removing energy from the wave. This all can be tuned to the offending standing wave frequency by the type of outside panel, thickness, weight and depth of cavity. A corner bass diaphragm absorber has an advantage of eliminating standing wave frequency's over a wider range because the depth varies. Although centered on the average depth, the peak absorption bandwidth is wider as compared to a constant depth enclosure.

I think the plywood helps in other ways but not sure exactly how. Maybe someone can elaborate.

I placed two of these panels as describe above in the back corners of the Chariot. The room had a 58hz standing wave issue that prevented hi power listening with a sub in HT mode. Now I can turn it up without the boom. It works as simple as that.

John

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/05/21 at 18:42:18

+1

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 03/05/21 at 19:55:42

thanks Jbzen

what if i don't engage in "hi-powered" listening, and not with a sub cranked up and system in home theater mode?

my single sub is a refined, low-powered 150w rms / 400w peak. i chose it very purposefully.

i listen mostly to classical music.....about 85db max.

it sounds like you have a very different purpose-built system than i do.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 03/06/21 at 09:01:02

With math and your room dimensions the bass standing waves could be calculated but the variables present would shift the outcome.
The best thing to do once the room is set up to your preference is feed a frequency generator(a phone with a generator app works great) into your system set at normal volume listening level and do sweeps from 20hz to beyond what can be heard. The standing waves will be exposed as increased volume. There will be a couple of these in correlation with the 3 dimensions of the room or there about. Most likely a couple of holes or nulls will also be present. Walk around the room and notice the change in volume at these standing wave peaks. Go to the corners of the room and find out the most offending frequency. Treat that frequency with a tuned corner trap as I described in the previous post.

How to figure the trap?

Get this book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071841040/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_2YT26NAQXAHJ6P4BNBA...

It is a hard read but has easy to follow treatments of room acoustics including bass traps,  absorbshion, and  diffusion.

I'd send you mine but find it too invaluable to let it go. Get the paperback which is more handy in real world use.

John

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/06/21 at 10:55:58

The Master Handbook of Acoustics is a invaluable resource but yes your eyes will glaze over reading it.  It's best used as a reference.

Mr. Deckert has written white papers on the subject of room tuning that have been very helpful to me.  I believe Steve said to attack the bass freq. first.  Also, look up some of Lonely Raven's posting on the subject.

Room treatments need not be expensive or ugly if you have a small amount of DYI skills.  I consider my efforts of building diffusers, absorbers and bass traps to be the foundation of my total system.  In fact, my total expense for all of it is lass than many of the electronic components.

The bottom line is "A well tuned room can make a very inexpensive audio system sound really good".  Conversely, a very expensive system can sound like crap in an untreated room.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 03/06/21 at 12:33:17

Very true on the costs and outcomes. I have yet to reach the $500 mark on materials for my room.

John

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 03/07/21 at 02:24:33

Aside from the Handbook and Steve, and Raven, among others, Dennis Foley at Acoustic Fields has done a lot of instructional videos as well as written things in his blog, etc. https://www.acousticfields.com/videos/.

I guess most of us have looked at this over time, but being so complex, I thought I would try a general overview to bring it into some sort of perspective.

If you visualize a sine wave.....illustrated with a flat horizontal line in the middle, the wave starts at the line and gradually rises to a peak, then gradually back down to the line. Then it continues down creating the trough side of the wave, and finally going back up to the line...This up and down and back up pattern illustrates one wave cycle.

Then, the higher the frequency occurrence of cycles in a second, the higher the "frequency." Cycles per second, expressed as hertz, 20 HZ is 20 cycles per second.

The speed of sound being 1130 ft/sec, within this, a cycle at 20 times per second (20 HZ) results in a much longer wave than one at 1000 times per second. A 20 HZ wave is 56.5 feet long! Where a 200 Hz wave is 5.7 and this is important in terms of room modes and absorption.

Basically, in a smaller the room, these waves reach reflection points and bounce the other way more quickly, setting up lots of potential for reflected overlaps that cause amplification and attenuation of the frequencies, off-balancing the sound. Especially low frequency waves are problematic because they are so long, and so powerful, so harder to fit into small spaces, and easier to create room-based frequency changes. And room dimensions, surfaces, and how speakers are placed, cause the waves to interact differently, thus all the attention to speaker placement and toe, and room treatments.

Looking "linearly" at a given frequency only...the way I understand it, room-based amplification happens when two reflected waves overlap with a similar peak and trough pattern. When the peaks overlap more symmetrically, the peaks build on one another, amplifying the frequency. And when peaks and troughs of two waves of the same frequency are directly opposing one another, the valley of one exactly opposite the peak of another, they cancel each other.

Then it gets crazier... attenuation or amplification stronger with wave overlaps more perfectly aligned, and less when they are a little less aligned, but still changing the intensity. And different frequency peaks are apparently able to interact similarly, so different frequencies can mix in exaggerating or attenuating each other.

Then, the rate at which the reflected frequencies reach our ears compared to the direct sound, especially with reflected frequencies being “EQ’d” by the room, reflection issues effect our perception of frequencies and spacial placement, and therefore our musical experience.

For most rooms the long bass waves can't play out fully, and rather than letting them “bounce of the walls” causing overlap with build up and nulls, we try to "trap" them. If bass frequencies build up too much due to different frequencies and reflection boundaries, we get boom, thickness and muddle, robbing bass of completeness, speed and impact, while often overwhelming the mids, and/or leaving the room seeming bass shy. 

So people came up with speaker placement and toe tricks to make reflections less interactive/strong, while taking longer to reach our ears. Related, "first reflection" treatment became primary along with bass trapping. The room carefully supported by just-so absorption and diffusion catching or dispersing negative reflections, negative room effects can be mitigated, empowering a more engaging musical experience. And thus all the talk about room being so important.

Looking at “trapping” bass with absorptive materials, a 40 Hz wave is 28.3 feet long, a single wave cycle so long it is comparatively flattish as it goes through absorptive material. A more direct line creating less friction with the absorber fibers, the transformation from sound to heat is less. So bass waves being so long, we need a lot of absorption material thickness to do much. This makes denser fiber boards useful. With rigid fiberglass and rock wool, the sound waves interact with many more fibers than with less dense things like wall insulating fiberglass, and foam even less. So use of dense absorber material is about denser layers of fibers creating more conversion of sound to heat with less thickness.

But even so, using absorption material alone, it takes a lot of thickness to do much low down. So rather than filling up the room with absorbers, people make them more efficient, leading to diaphragms, space between absorption pieces, and/or between the panels and the wall… More material thickness catches more of the waves, and air spaces between and behind panels are meant to allow the wave to keep up some speed and therefore more friction/absorption when going through the panel fibers. With space behind, the bounce off the wall projects the wave back through the absorption panels, increasing the effect. And if the air space is in corners, the trajectory of the wave after an angled bounce is meant to cause its reflection to go back through the panel at a stronger angle, so more interaction with the fibers, more absorption.

Which leads to diaphragms. If the absorber surface is all absorptive, it will attenuate easier-to-absorb higher frequencies as well, so how to create enough absorption for bass, without killing the mids and highs is a consideration. This also introduces bass traps that integrate reflective surfaces, and diffusers on the face.

To focus more on bass, diaphragms are designed to resonate mainly with narrower bass frequency ranges. The diaphragm, absorbing, resonating, and pulsing those energies through the absorption material, seems it can increase the sound-to-heat transformation in that range.

So a spacer like John described for his corner traps, separating the 1/4" plywood and the rock wool, allows the plywood to act as a "diaphragm." Also, it seems diaphragms can help retain and bounce sound energy back through the rock wool as long as it stays in the "trap." And density/thickness of the diagram influences which frequencies it resonates with, so which frequencies it most traps.

Also, by using plywood panels for the face, the surface is more reflective of frequencies it does not resonate with, so can be a tuning mechanism for trapping bass, while not deadening the sound by over absorbing mids and highs.

And finally, at least the way I learned it, it appears that if a multilayer diaphragmatic absorber is sealed, air tight, with integrated spaces of air between multiple absorptive panels of rock wool or rigid fiber, it can more powerfully “absorb” the frequencies defined by the density/thickness of the diaphragm. It seems gradually dissipating the waves through more layers of material, it can be more effective.

Seems a lot of companies use diaphragms of mass loaded vinyl rather than different thicknesses of plywood, something I have not tried, but would like to know more about and explore.

I hope I got all that with relative accuracy.... and at least I hope it helps conceptualize the issues and solutions.

But to further address your question Piezo. In small rooms, with space restrictions for bass traps, and with increased bass handling issues, it seems it is relatively difficult to overdue bass treatment, especially using reflective diaphragms like John suggested. So, though amplitude is another part of all this, seems to me you don't really need to be playing big bass movies, or trip hop, or rap to benefit from finding and treating your worst bass frequencies…

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 03/07/21 at 03:58:39

To everyone,

Thank you kindly for your earnest efforts in getting it thru my thick head. One thing Ive learned in the last month or so is how critical room treatment is, and that means significant treatment, not the half-assed plan  I had originally: 2 bass traps behind the speakers and 2 panels at the 1st reflection points. This was a pathetic useless plan that had me spending $350 for nothing [by the way, it was GIK's basic recommendation to me, after that they wanted me hanging more of their 5 1/4 in. bass trap panels all across the walls. That would have cost a relative fortune plus these huge fat trap panels sticking 6" into my small room all around would have had me claustrophobic.

After discarding the above idea as silly and untenable, Ive committed to DIY panels 24x48x2, learning that they be mounted 1-2" off the walls. Making these looks to be a real piece of cake, Ive priced them put to about $25 a panel. And mix these with styrofoam diffusers from PI Audio Group, $160 unpainted for 2 full pairs. I will harden these with 8 coats paint, eggshell finish with a little Elmer's glue mixed in, this,is what they do at PI Audio when they paint them before shipping.

Will, interesting you brought up Acoustic Fields, as I have a phone call s scheduled with them next week, after I sent them photos of my room with details about the room and audio system. They will make a recommendation.

I also am waiting on Pi Audio for their recommendations, as they have all the same info.

From the above, I am looking for how many absorber panels and diffusers to hang 2" on the wall up from the floors in my 10x12 room. Online calculators say about 12 total, so we'll see.

The last question, which is actually the first questipn will be just how to address the 4 corners, based on my particular situation [as Will correctly stated, I dont do high powered listening] and besides my 3w Taboo doesnt support head banger's ball which definitely aint my gig.

So my more recent plan to stack two 24x48x2 panels in each corner may well be overcome by what I hear from both companies mentioned above......either way, I'm committed to DIY for these as well in whatever form that is to be.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 03/07/21 at 10:13:41

Quote:
Seems a lot of companies use diaphragms of mass loaded vinyl rather than different thicknesses of plywood, something I have not tried, but would like to know more about and explore

The resonate panel's weight per square foot has a direct correlation to resonate frequency of that panel. When calculating the Charoits it called for 3/8" plywood in the space allotted. 1/4" hardboard was substituted with the same result.

Quote:
I believe Steve said to attack the bass freq. first.

That stuck and made me wonder! This video explained it.
https://animagraffs.com/loudspeaker/

Piesoman, glad you are getting good solid advice on your room.
The corner bass absorbers for my room measure 28" across the resonate panel and from the corner take up around 21" of wall space on one side 20" on the other. The side walls are canted at 5 degrees creating the difference. The side walls are about 20' long and back 16' - very little space is taken by the absorbers.
There is another standing wave around 80hz that calls for a panel 14" across and 10" of wall/ceiling space on each respective side of the absorber.

My point? Every room is different and so are treatments for such. Please don't get caught up with my treatments as you embrace yours. A corner panel might not take up as much room as precieved...3 square foot total floor space in my case.

Best
John

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 03/07/21 at 22:06:35

Thanks for the cool link John.

Piezo,

I would have guessed your original plan, bass traps behind each speaker, and first reflection absorption, might have been a nice improvement. But I agree, it seems disconcerting that GIK added lots of bass absorbers to that recommendation later.

It will be interesting to see what PI and Acoustic Fields end up suggesting your room issues and solutions are.

I guess for me, I would want to take it slow and finally arrive at the best treatment, progressively, and by sound. This does not mean avoiding a plan, or ignoring tech-based recommendations related to your room conditions and system. But whatever the theoretical conclusions, a ”flat” frequency response, or whatever variations on “flat” a given advisor prefers as a “correct” sounding room, may or may not be the most musical system/room to you. And depending on how they arrive at their room adjustments/improvements… the particular tools used, and where they are placed, will effect the room sound differently.

To me, room treatment is a form of EQ’ing, and great recording and mastering engineers exhibit their preferences within standards that are somewhat uniform. But finally personal interpretations based on complex conditions of gear and rooms used, and preferences, make each engineer different. I imagine room treatment as similar.

Since bass has so much effect on everything else, and being difficult to solve, I too can imagine some bass treatment as a 1st priority. Especially since you like your system/room a lot as it is, it might be fun to see what first steps in bass management does. Also 1st reflections! I think this is why the original plan made sense to me theoretically, those particular panels adding a fair bit of absorption to the room in general, while addressing 1st reflections and bass some.

That said, I get the DIY approach. And part of why I got into DIY was so I could more articulately tune design and implementation toward what sounds real to me….. looking carefully at, and using some established standards, but having natural, lively sound as the foremost consideration.

So if it were me, I might come up with a treatment plan you like and feel good about being able to put together, and then take it in steps that seem logical to you…. Like starting with bass and side 1st reflections….. then play with panel and speaker placement, etc for a while as you get used to and fine tune the additions. Then, if needed, add something else based on what you hear. You might find the ceiling first reflection a good next step for more general absorption tuning and improved soundstage. Or maybe bass modes showed up more after initial treatment…. Or maybe the room started feeling a little dead… the combination perhaps leading to hard surface diagrammatic corner traps designed for your particular modes and with reflective faces. Or if PI thinks their diffusors will work in your small space, say in the middle of your front wall, that might be a way to resolve mid issues in a mostly live and reflective way... just going with whatever you decide is most useful for the overall balance all along the way.

This is me, but I have found pretty consistently that specs, tech, and the opinions of professionals can be quite helpful, but all are always developing in maturity, so not necessarily an end all. It is just not easy to theoretically resolve complex system/room setups fully, especially considering it is about tuning the vaster complexity of the sound and feel of music. So I always prefer to use tech as a background, knowing what is intended by using it, but always with sound as the foreground.

I also prefer to work progressively so that I can hear and “digest” what each change is doing, tuning as I go, and stopping when it sounds “right.” If some variation on this approach appeals, you may end up with your original plan based on various room planning models and varieties of treatments, or you might find something simpler and/or better along the way. But you would have a sense of what does what, good tools for future tuning. Some thoughts anyway.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 03/07/21 at 22:30:52

great post, will. i totally get it. a very small room like mine can be made to sound much larger, much more spacious given the right treatment application......one general truth about this is that it takes ALOT of treatment to "get there". the online calculators say like 12 or 13 panels for a 10x12x8 room, which of course is just a guide....but it gives an idea what we're talking about: significant.

that said, and as you say, an iterative approach is the start of the elixir: [1]corner bass [never will be anywhere close to perfect especially due to small room vs. wave length] + [2] at least moderate absorption AND diffusion.....i now understand one needs to treat 25% of the wall space at a bare minimum, preferably about 35%. that's ALOT of treatment! But I'm committed because I've recently realized the cost of the materials to do this is pretty inexpensive via DIY approach which is NOT hard to do.......if this stuff was all purchased commercially, 25-35% coverage would cost a real fortune.

- brad

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 03/07/21 at 22:36:00

Quote:
Piesoman, glad you are getting good solid advice on your room.
The corner bass absorbers for my room measure 28" across the resonate panel and from the corner take up around 21" of wall space on one side 20" on the other. The side walls are canted at 5 degrees creating the difference. The side walls are about 20' long and back 16' - very little space is taken by the absorbers.
There is another standing wave around 80hz that calls for a panel 14" across and 10" of wall/ceiling space on each respective side of the absorber.

My point? Every room is different and so are treatments for such. Please don't get caught up with my treatments as you embrace yours. A corner panel might not take up as much room as precieved...3 square foot total floor space in my case.

Best
John

thanks John

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 03/08/21 at 15:10:43

I just got an email reply from one of the two sources I've been waiting on, PI Audio Group. Here's what they recommended:

1. 1 diffuser on either side of my audio rack placed vertically on the wall behind it [total of 2].

2. 1 diffuser placed horizontally over my audio  rack

3. 1 diffuser on the ceiling at the first reflection point.

4. Triangle traps at each upper corner of the room. We have been working on developing a triangle trap for this very purpose. I have some here and would give you a very good price for you to try them out.

5. 2 tube traps behind your chair to control the bass. [note: my chair is about 3 feet from the back wall and 6 feet from the speakers].

I will becalling Greg today.

IP Logged
gsanger
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 03/08/21 at 16:22:54

Piezoman - I might have missed it, but what's the floor material in your room?  I have a similar sized space (11'x11'x8') that I am slowly working on, and carpet vs. laminate makes a HUGE difference in my approach.  Our house is a mirror image duplex.  One the other side, we replaced the carpet with laminate, and the same 11x11 room has a long decay time and lots of slap echo.  On the side where I listen now, the carpet is left in (for now), and it has a lot shorter of a decay and less slap echo.  We are planning on putting in laminate in the next few months, so a a short-term stop gap, I bought a four pack of heavy moving blankets for $100 - one is hung right behind the listening position, one right to the right (mostly to cover a single pane window that lets ALL the sounds from outside in), and one hung over the door to reduce sound going in/out (the fourth is folded up and tucked under a subwoofer to isolate it from the floor).  I also picked up a 2'x3', 4" thick art panel from GIK, too.  So, my room is currently very dead.

For me, it's been a real challenge to get a good stereo image in this setting.  Not impossible, but it's required a lot of moving my speakers a half inch here, a quarter inch there.

After we replace the floor and I get a rug or two, my plan is to start to slowly trying to replace the hanging moving blankets with a better blend of acoustic treatment.  I've seen others suggest starting with bass traps, and that's where I plan to start, too.  I can tune how much bass I'm getting by just shifting my chair forward or back a half-foot, so anything to help smooth out the low end will help.  Also, bass traps will help with absorption.

After that, I'm kind of planning on going heavy on the diffusion - similar to what PI Audio Group suggests.  Too much absorption, like I have now, really does make the room sound small, and I'm hoping diffusion will help make the room feel a bit bigger.  And after that, absorption to taste.

Anyway, just another perspective.  I look forward to hearing what you eventually settle on and how it works for you

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 03/08/21 at 16:37:59

No side refection treatment does seem unusual, but other than that, this PI arrangement does not surprise me much. From these recommendations we don't know yet how the corner traps and tube traps they recommend are made either... and how much absorption is active above bass. My experience with PI Audio is with Dave Elledge, and impressions from that are that he has been exploring the finer/subtler aspects of affordable audio a long time. Also I think he is creative, and can be pretty innovative. So I look forward to what you hear with your talk.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 03/08/21 at 16:53:44

gsanger,

i have carpet wall to wall over cement basement floor.

FYI, the walls are wood paneled with R-19 insulation behind, ceiling are "soft" tiles with R-19 insulation above it. i have no drywall in the room.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 03/08/21 at 19:37:58

I made my last post before seeing gsanger's, and I think that post was a good pointer. For me, over-deadening would be a real worry, preferring a pretty live feeling sound myself. And in large part because of how my room is made, I don't have experience with lot of absorption, so can't be specific about what might be too much, but hopefully my story will help.

We have plastered adobe walls made with irregular adobe bricks. Traditionally made, the walls angle outward as they rise, so are off-plumb, and the plaster is somewhat smoothing, but intentionally not fully flattening the irregularities from the adobes. So the walls look flattish, but have very irregular surfaces with loads of small angle changes. Also, angle changes at "corners" are soft and not altogether square, and some walls in alcoves and partially open room segues are actually angled; brick on sand floors are also pretty irregular; lots of log beams with rough wood ceiling boards with gaps; tar paper above with 12" of fiberglass on it, then an airspace before a slightly angled "flat" roof with 4" of foam on top; lots of African sculptures all around; multiple semi-open room segues; some rugs and living room and dining room furniture....

I don't know how this initial setup relates to technically arrived at diffusion and absorption parameters when applied to flat walls, floors and ceilings. But with mostly pretty "live" surfaces, by sound, there is clearly a lot of useful diffusion and absorption, just by the way this house was made.

Then when I made bass traps and other absorption setups for different frequency ranges, I put them wherever I could without too much aesthetic compromise... But relatively speaking, with alcoves integrated in folksy adobe design, I had a number of good places to tuck in rigid fiber boards. Nowhere near the high percentage of wall 12- 2x4' panels would make in a small room though, and I recall reaching a point where I thought I was approaching too much added absorption.

Where I am going though, because my room does so much on its own, I don't have experience with a conventionally built small room. But conceptually, filling a room with absorption sort or gives me the creeps. And I have heard stories and heard music room videos that seem to corroborate that habitual use of lots of absorption can sound sort of accurate frequency balance-wise, but not necessarily so accurate in terms of natural/live sound.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 03/08/21 at 19:48:28

Will,

I just spoke with Dave Elledge at PI Audio. I found out he's an audio/acoustic engineer who knows his stuff which was very apparent at the onset. Great guy talk to. He clarified alot, plus we found there was an error in Greg's email about 1st reflection points on the side walls.

Here's the better detailed plan:

1. Purchase: one box of PI Audio unpainted styrofoam AQD1 diffusers [contains 2 sets of male and female panels]. Paint these using a regular or styrofoam brush. Paint must be water-based. Get eggshell finish. Mix in Elmer's Glue, enough so that it feels a little thick but not too much that's its not easily spread with a brush. You'll need to paint fairly fast, due to the effect of the glue mixed in. 6-8 coats. The eggshell & glue will provide just the right hard finish so that they're way more reflective.

Place one FEMALE diffuser [which is slightly thicker than the male one] at the center spot on front wall, in VERTICAL position. SLIGHTLY BELOW ear level listening position. This panel will also serve to absorb some upper bass/lower mid frequencies.

Place two MALE diffusers about 2-3" from both sides of the female diffuser, at VERTICAL position. Slightly below the center female diffuser. Center them both AT ear level listening position.

Place one FEMALE diffuser on rear wall, centered directly behind listening position, at HORIZONTAL position. Also center the diffuser AT ear level.

2. DIY: 2 side wall absorption panels at 1st reflection points.  24"x48"x2". Mount 1" off the wall, this is critical and makes them much more effective.

3. DIY: Upper 4 corner triangulated absorber traps, one for each corner. Place these so they touch the ceiling. These are to be 14" on all sides. Use heavy duty cardboard, and cover with a fabric of your choice. Dave says these are EXTREMELY effective in small rooms, killing much of the harmonic returns. NOTE: GETTING CLARIFICATION ON MAKING THESE.

4. DIY: 2 corner absorption panels. 12"x24"x2" [half size of wall panels]. Mount 45* to each adjacent wall, and just above the cylindrical bass traps and below the triangulated upper corner traps. THIS IS ONLY OPTIONAL, IF NEEDED.

5. DIY: 2 cylindrical bass traps. VERY effective in small rooms. Purchase these at Home Depot: Sakrete 12"x48" Tube For Concrete. These are to be 1/2 ceiling height, so for some folks they maybe need cut a little. Wrap with fabric of your choice, leaving the top completely open. The bottom must be airtight sealed; 1/4" piece of plywood would suffice nicely. NOTE: GETTING CLARIFICATION AS TO WHETHER THESE ARE TO BE FILLED WITH FIBERGLASS, OR LEFT EMPTY.

According to Dave, this plan will be incredibly effective and will dramatically alter the sound signature of the room vs. untreated.

Costs:
Diffusers: $160 + $90 shipping.
DIY upper corner triangular traps: negligible, just the fabric.
DIY 24"x48"×2" absorber panels: about $30 per panel, includes fabric.
DIY 12"x24"x2" corner absorber panels: about $15 per panel, includes fabric.
DIY bass traps: $12 each, plus minimal cost of fabric.

Total estimated cost: $385 for entire plan. Now that is impressive.

*Please note this plan is for smallish rooms that are carpeted. Also please note that treatments to the ceiling is not called for if you have "soft" ceiling tiles. For drywall ceilings, some diffuser treatment is highly recommended above the immediate listening area.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 03/08/21 at 19:54:18

Will, you got that right. Dave told me the dangers of over absorption on the walls, and he said exactly that the diffusion is necessary to keep the room alive. His plan for me is to maximize the liveliness while keeping all the unwanted, frequency smearing mid-upper frequencies to a minimum, and tackling much of the lower frequencies.

He told me when I'm done, I'll never go back because what I've been used to all my life will suddenly be extremely, irritating to experience.

Lonely Raven recently told me that we're all so used to living in our drywall boxes all our lives, that its a real radical change to actually address a room for acoustics.

Those online calculators are fucked up.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 03/08/21 at 20:58:59

Dave speaks truth. I just have diffusers and some Eighth Nerve corner triangles in the upper ceiling corners. Works like a charm in my 15.5' x 13.5' room. Lively with wide & deep soundstage. Voices & instruments rendered faithfully to the recording.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 03/08/21 at 21:29:15

HK,

That's cool....is Eighth Nerve still in business?

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 03/08/21 at 22:00:07

Eighth Nerve is no longer in business. Used stuff shows up on audio classifieds from time to time.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 03/08/21 at 22:56:39

Dave Elledge was instrumental in the design of the Charoit. I have not talked or seen him in 20 years. Good to know he still in the biz. Quite a character that will not steer you wrong.

John

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 03/08/21 at 23:39:53

Glad your talk with Dave went so well Piezo. Sounds like a good plan! I guess if you talk to Acoustic Fields, you will get their ideas on avoiding fiberglass and rock wool. As I recall, the thought is that having them beat up regularly by sound waves, minute glass fibers end up in our rooms and lungs. Will be interested in your impressions if you talk with them.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 03/09/21 at 00:42:45

Guys, thanks for the vote of confidence on Dave. He really was great to chat with. He rattled off alot of stuff while reviewing again the photos of the room i sent previously. I was feverishly scribbling as much as I could, asking questions.

Will, thank you, and I will report on my conversation with Dennis Foley at Acoustic Fields in this thread.....this Thursday afternoon.

Brad

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 03/09/21 at 12:01:27

Hey Brad,

I was very surprised to read Dave Elledge plan for your room as it is quite similar to what we have here.  My room size is similar to yours.  There are lath and plaster walls and hard wood floors with a suspended ceiling.  The floor has a large area rug.

There are two variations to Mr. Elledge' plan.  First is that I am unable to have the triangles in any upper corners because of doors and windows.  The second is a 36" x 70" horizontal floor bass trap on the rear wall.  That is a design that Steve used on one of his previous listening rooms.

The four diffusers are the Decware kits I assembled from Mr. Ziegler.  The 24" x 48" absorbers were built by my friend "Bob in St Louis" when we did some horse trading.  The cylindrical bass traps built by me with welded wire fence material wrapped with fiberglass insolation then covered with cloth.

The present configuration is a classic example of a "blind squirrel finding a nut sometimes"!    The sound stage is wide and deep.  When I close my eyes the players are located exactly where they were when I saw them play live.  The bass is to die for, it is felt in my chest and I do not use a sub.  The radial speakers have passive radiators that are truly splendid at replicating the bass.

I wish you luck on your journy!

Dennis

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 03/09/21 at 15:13:23

Hey Dennis,

Sounds like a really good setup!

I wonder if you can describe the big bass trap in more detail, or do you have a link with plans?

Thanks,

Will

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 03/09/21 at 16:16:22

Yes Sir, Will,

It is actually my bed.  As I said it is designed after a bass trap that Steve used in one of his listening rooms.

Last year I had a need for a new bed.  I built this new one out of two by fours that I had left over from a previous project.  Built the framework then topped it with plywood then completely covered everything with outdoor carpet.  The mattress is a eight inch thick memory foam unit from Walmart.  The bottom of the bed is only a couple of inches off the floor.  It is centered on the back wall.

For years now I have been frustrated with the lower freq. being louder in adjacent rooms than in the listening room.  That is no longer an issue.

If I remember correctly Steve used fiberglass batting under his.  It looked somewhat like a stage.

Necessity is the mother of invention!

Dennis

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 03/09/21 at 17:44:09

Thanks Dennis. That is a good story. Very pleasantly inventive! And glad it works so well.

I am getting it I think, but just trying to get a sense of why is works so well. Do you think it is basically the foam width doing most of the work? What part do you think the outdoor carpet plays?

Can you clarify "completely covered everything with outdoor carpet?" Did you cover all the wood underneath the frame and on the outside before putting on the mattress.? Did make a skirt with the carpet, running it down the sides to the floor?

And are you referring to the really short pile "carpet?"

Sorry for all the questions. Just wanting to understand so I can put in "brain storage"in case I need something some day using the same basic ideas.

Thanks,

Will

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 03/09/21 at 17:44:39

My room is 16.5' X 12.5'.  I started with absorbers which I made.  Fairly inexpensive.  I added 4 upper corner triangle bass traps .

My room ended up sounding dead.  I entered the world of diffusers and build some QRD13s.  Two behind my equipment table running perpendicular and one running horizontal.

I got a deal (basically I paid shipping) on some styrofoam fractal diffusers and put a 5 piece array across the back wall.  I also build two QRD7s and replaced the absorbers at the first reflection points with these.

I ended up leaning my 8 absorbers in the back of the room against the wall on either side of the listening position to make big bass traps.

I subsequently built two QRD23s which on next to the QRD7s at the first reflection points.  Then I have 8 of Raven's PI Audio diffusers to fill out the front of the room and augment the sides.

Finally, I recently built 2 QRD13s one to fill in a space on one side of the room and one I move into the doorway when I sit down for a listening session.  So I have wall to wall diffusers covering about 70% of the wall space, 4 corner bass traps and two large bass traps on the rear walls.

Carpet over cement with an extra rug covering the listening area.  Single layer drywall and acoustic drop ceiling (with absorbers at the first reflection points).  I tried hanging the Styrofoam diffusers from the ceiling, but never produced a functional result.

Since I went to Open Baffle speakers, the bass is not an issue, but I keep the bass traps in place.  I may pull them out and listen when I paint the room.

The result is a fairly lively room with very good imaging and soundstage size.  

I may experiment again with absorbers at the first reflection points, but last time I experimented with my OBs, I liked the diffusers at first reflection points better.

Interesting enough, my basic setup (before I went crazy) does not differ that much from the advise you got from PI Audio.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 03/09/21 at 18:04:42

Palomino, your room treatment journey is legend around here.  However you did have the help of Raven.  Or, was it the other way around?

I freely admit that your skills at building diffusers far exceed mine.  For a long time I have been in hopes that Raven would get to the position of being able to sell some of his styrafoam designs.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 03/09/21 at 18:07:27

Pal, that's really cool. Thanks for sharing!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 03/09/21 at 18:07:56

I taught Raven everything he knows Wink

He and I have experimented with various builds over the years.  I thought about trying to commercialize the QRDs, but I'd have to invest in a CNC machine (and have a place to set it up).

I don't think I have $1,000 in my room treatments yet.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 03/09/21 at 18:27:44

And Raven and yourself taught me a few things  [smiley=icqlite20.png]

and Will, hell he's on a whole new plane! He's been invaluable

Hopefully as I gain this experience, I too can actually be of some help to someone else.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 03/09/21 at 18:29:58

Sorry Will, I missed your last post.

When I built the bed frame I thought it looked tacky.  Being the type that likes to use stuff laying around.  The outdoor carpet was left over from another project.  I went to work with the pneumatic stapler and covered everything (top and bottom).  I could have painted the frame but I do not think it would have worked as well and it looks good to me.

The idea is that the bass frequencies sneak under the edge and get absorbed.  I'm sure that the memory foam contributes.

The idea for the design came from Steve when he built his in his garage on Spring St. in Peoria.  This was prior to them moving to East Peoria.

There are many ways to skin a cat.  Just don't tell Steve I said that.

Dennis

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 03/09/21 at 18:41:42

Yes piezo, I referred you to raven once your questions got too deep for me to answer.  I am just the guy who keeps building stuff and sticking it in his room.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 03/09/21 at 18:44:16

Interesting Dennis. Yes lots of different cats around! Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print