04/16/24 at 12:48:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZRock chain placement (Read 4143 times)
Mike Foster
Verified Member

ZRock chain placement
03/04/21 at 14:00:58

My ZRock is on the test bench so I expect to have it soon.
 Where in the system do I place it, between my Cambridge CXNv2 streamer and the preamp or between the preamp and the amp?
The CXN is connected to pre with unbalanced RCA cables. The preamp is connected to the amp with balanced XLR cables because they remove some low frequency hum that occurs when I use unbalanced cables.
I wanted to use XLR cables in both locations but the Zrock only has unbalanced RCA connections I think.

Thanks for your input.
Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ZRock chain placement
Reply #1 - 03/04/21 at 14:12:31

I find great results using the ZROCK2 both before the preamp and after. I have been using it before the preamp because in that way my headphone listening (I use a CSP3 for headphone duty as well at times) benefits from the ZROCK2 before it. . . . The differences with it before and after the ZROCK2 are subtle I would say and other adjustments may make them moot.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Mike Foster
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/05/21 at 00:12:02

Thanks Lon Smiley

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/05/21 at 13:36:20

Hey Mike,

Lon is correct, the ZROCK owners man. states that it should be placed before the CSP.

That said, I asked Steve if I could put it between the CSP and the amp. He said that it would be fine as long as you do not overdrive the CSP.  I rarely exceed the 50 pct. point.

I use the CXN only as a streamer. The other source is a MacMini and a Teac DAC.  This way, I only have to flip the switch on the CSP to use both sources.

I'm quite sure you are gonna love the ZROCK!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/05/21 at 16:10:54

I preferred the ZROCK2 before the CSP3 since I didn't have the worry of overdriving it but then I had to swap cables when I changed sources.  For that reason I ended up with it after the CSP3.  I posted a CSP3 voltage chart in another thread that helps in not over driving the ZROCK2.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Mike Foster
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 03/07/21 at 14:01:41

Thank you Archie, I'll check that out.
Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print