Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/10/24 at 19:10:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help on starting tube adventure (Read 2589 times)
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Help on starting tube adventure
03/02/21 at 21:20:37

So I have ordered a UFO (1-6-21) to get in line. I entered my set up now in profile will see if it posts with this message. Currently running PS Audios Steller GCDAC and S300 SS amp along with P3. Very much like the sound and performance but MUST try Tubes. Window shopped many brands but kept coming back to Decware and Steve. I am a broke but sincere music lover with very little experience with equipment. My only system at 18 YO was a Yamaha receiver, Phillips manual TT, and Heresy speakers 76'. I inherited my older brothers Heresy 74' and have rebuilt with new crossovers and all drivers (Crites Speakers).
My question or assistance needed; What is the best way to experience tubes and decide if I want to go all out? Do not want to buy an item then sell it to go all out. Will the CSP3 and my s300 amp work well together and give me tube magic? OR, UFO2 or Rachel with my GC DAC? OR not integrate either of the two? Any help appreciated.

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Help on starting tube adventure
Reply #1 - 03/03/21 at 00:21:23

JMO but a "broke but sincere music lover" can't do any better than a $995 UFO amp if you already have high sensitivity Klipsch speakers. If you want to spend more I'd get the power supply bypass caps rather than a UFO2. But again, JMO/FWIW/YMMV.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/03/21 at 16:29:30

Running your DAC straight into the UFO, assuming you have at least a 2V output from the DAC, is the less expensive way to hear tube magic. Running a CSP3 through your SS amp will give you a taste of that magic but not like just going straight into the UFO. You may or may not want to add a preamp into that equation. Just be patient and listen to the UFO first. It may be all you need, especially if on a budget.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/03/21 at 18:31:13

My suggestion is to be deliberate. Do more listening than buying and accumulating. Go straight from DAC into the UFO and really get acquainted to that sound. Ultimately, I think any variation of a CSP/UFO combo will get you "there". Do sweat the details regarding mods and upgrades.

IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/03/21 at 18:58:32

ArtMan, Thanks, that helps and I believe what I will try. I will first run the UFO no DAC during break in before I tap the GCDAC. The DAC is actually a pre- or a DAC with Gain so should have plenty. I am hoping they work well together as can have all sources, volume control, and remote, as well as sub if desired.

CAJames, Thanks from what I am ready over past several months your sentiment is common, very excited!

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/03/21 at 19:04:00

Metropolis7, Yes good advice. I have built the current set up over about 2.5 years after receiving my brothers music collection (mixed with my CD collection) and really needed everything. I started out using my AVR receiver that is 20 years old but working fine....As I mentioned to ArtMan will go straight to sources no DAC to start then introduce GCDac later. Both by digital sources have their DAC but probably not as good as the GCD

IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/03/21 at 19:20:27

Oops, I meant do *not* sweat the details about upgrades.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print