Send Topic Print
Market research (Read 8375 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Market research
02/11/21 at 22:56:03

I've decided to do do some unsolicited informal market research for Decware.

What would you like to be see made?

Me? I'd like to see a $5000 15 watt amplifier that expands on the 25th anniversary platform.

And maybe something in the room treatment front that is "different". I have no clue of what that would be or even if there is any other thoughts on it out there.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Market research
Reply #1 - 02/11/21 at 23:30:43

For me, I'd rather see them make the same stuff faster than making something new/different. JMO of course.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/12/21 at 00:16:07

A DAC. Not one built by someone else and then modded. But totally Decware. A redbook/standard res model that would compete sound-wise with Audio Note DACs.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 02/12/21 at 00:47:36

I’m probably only a few weeks away from my Torii MKIV being built.  Status going to “Parts “Pulled” is coming soon. If my amp could have meters..that would be HUGE!!

This is my plea for Torii meters. A last minute update to the already killer amp and having meters would be the icing on the cake!!   It would be worth the additional cost!!

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/12/21 at 07:00:55

Quick, switch to a ZMA!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 02/12/21 at 08:19:08

Someone reached out to me who would really love to have a fully balanced ZROCK2 input and output. I can see the usability of that . . .would even be cool to have between my ZTPRE and ZBIT. But it's unlikely to be more than an expensive custom build if Steve took one on.

I really really love my system as I have it now and my big wants would be outside of the Decware line (I'd really like the new transport PS Audio came out with, that would be my number one want).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/12/21 at 10:56:06

Yeah! A DAC amped up with Steve's tube wizardry!

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #7 - 02/12/21 at 10:59:14

I believe that Steve produced a prototype OTL amp at one time.

I would be interested in a low power OTL for high impedance speakers.

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #8 - 02/12/21 at 13:17:35

Quote:
Quick, switch to a ZMA!

Archie...don’t think this hasn’t crossed my mind!  With my Torii now configured with the glass resistors and the Anniversay mods...I’m about grand away from the cost of a stock ZMA.  The only way the wife would go for that,  is if I ask Sarah to push back the build for a few months, since I am knee deep in my home renovation project.  Maybe.... I’ll have to really ponder this one.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #9 - 02/12/21 at 15:41:03

Now that I think about it I would like to see a (full power) monoblock version of the UFO amps, both balanced and single ended. So basically just a single input (XLR or RCA) and a single pair of binding posts. I guess the same thing for the Rachael, which might be Donnie's 15 Watt 5K$ amp.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 02/12/21 at 16:36:56

CAJames wrote on 02/12/21 at 15:41:03:
Now that I think about it I would like to see a (full power) monoblock version of the UFO amps, both balanced and single ended. So basically just a single input (XLR or RCA) and a single pair of binding posts. I guess the same thing for the Rachael, which might be Donnie's 15 Watt 5K$ amp.

I have the SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with the Anniversary Mods and they are AMAZING amps. Unless you meant two amps with two output tubes each, I think these fit that bill. I don't need balanced inputs as I have a ZBIT which is actually I think a better option because there's always a spot on the adjustable scale the ZBIT allows that is better than the full signal from the balanced out for my system. Paired with a CSP3 with the 25th Anniversary mods and a glass resistor (and a ZTPRE and a ZROCK2, the latter fully modded) I have the system I want and really don't want any other pre-amplification or amplification. I think almost anything else would be a step down. (Plus these monoblocks have a pair of pass through inputs which is great for adding a headphone amp or sub-woofers etc.)

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/12/21 at 17:02:35

Quote:
Archie...don’t think this hasn’t crossed my mind!  With my Torii now configured with the glass resistors and the Anniversay mods...I’m about grand away from the cost of a stock ZMA.  The only way the wife would go for that,  is if I ask Sarah to push back the build for a few months, since I am knee deep in my home renovation project.  Maybe.... I’ll have to really ponder this one.  

Dom

Dom, I mentioned this because it's what I did back when Steve first developed the ZMA.  Of course, now it's been Anniversarised and sometimes cost IS a factor  -- unlike that other thread!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #12 - 02/12/21 at 17:03:07

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 16:36:56
...Unless you meant two amps with two output tubes each, I think these fit that bill

That is exactly what I mean. I have two UFOs configured as balanced monoblocks and they sound fantastic. But to do that you need custom XLR -> 2x RCAs cables and you have to jumper both sets of sets of binding posts. Which isn't a big deal in the big the picture, but it would be nice to just use the same XLR interconnect and speaker cables that I used on my previous system. I like monoblocks anyway for all the usual reasons, and getting 5+ watts of Zen power is a nice bonus. And the second amp doesn't cost that much more than a ZBIT.

IP Logged
spyder1
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/12/21 at 17:54:55

I wish to see Mr. Deckert and his engineers develop "Bullet Proof SOP's" (Standard Operating Procedures) for each product Decware produces. Then add a 2nd production shift to blast through the wait list. Shocked

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 02/12/21 at 18:13:18

Yes, but they're not 25th Anniversary modded etc. I can see the appeal. My expereince however over the last two decades is that the lower the power the better the sound--so I think the 3 watt monoblocks with the right speakers are a better sounding option. I'd encourage that matched with the right speakers instead. . . that's just me I guess.

I'm set! These Monoblocks with HR-1 are my end-game system heartbeat. Sources may change. . . but I'm not desiring any further Decware component changes.

IP Logged
Acozynut
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 02/12/21 at 19:25:50

How about a fully transformer balanced input/output ZP3.  Might be overkill but you could hook up balanced from sources to amp.  Also would give me a bigger reason to get a ZTPRE

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/12/21 at 19:32:17

And how about a Decware streamer to go along with my Decware redbook DAC!?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #17 - 02/12/21 at 23:26:00

Quote:
Dom, I mentioned this because it's what I did back when Steve first developed the ZMA.  Of course, now it's been Anniversarised and sometimes cost IS a factor  -- unlike that other thread!

Archie,

I have definitely gone down the rabbit hole.  My original order was an SE84UFO25 but was then changed to a stock Torii.  After having great conversations with Will, he advised that cost wise, it would be best to add the Anniversary mods upfront.  Hence the order was then changed and upgraded.

With my upcoming major home renovation, jumping into a stock ZMA would be a stretch at this point.  But knowing me....I would want the Anniversay mods.  So that additional cost would not fly with the wife.

When I joined the forum like 7 years ago, the ZMA wasn’t even designed yet, and the Torii was their best amp, which is what I was after.  Now that Steve upgraded the bypass caps on the Torii to the Mundorf’s... I’m just too curious.  Plus...I do like the adjustability of the bass and treble cut switches, as well as the ability to roll rectifiers.

If I had some extra money later on this year after my home renovation, then maybe I would reassess the scenario.  By that time the Torii will be broken in nicely, and something tells me I will be totally content.

Thanks for the pep talk.  It definitely piqued my interest.

Dom

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 02/13/21 at 05:10:18

For a Decware DAC:

Some years ago there was a schematic on the internet for an all discreet component DAC. It had four tiers of circuit boards stacked atop each other. I don't know if I can think how to search for it after this many years. I will post a link if I find it. Back when I first came across it, I wanted to ask Steve if he would take on building one for me, but I never got up the money, so I did not ask.  

Here is the review of a different homebuild DAC
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/convertus_e.html
Links to the 4 build pages are at the bottom of that page.  
The review is high praise, but the build is from twenty years ago. I imagine some of the digital components a person would use today would improve on it. I don't know what would be involved in updating that circuit to take today's parts.

Brian

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 02/15/21 at 01:57:28

If Zen Rock 2 were built into a single chassis with the Anniversary amp SE84UFO25, and the ZR2 were given only the more dynamic of it's two circuits, are there any parts duplication between these two devices such that some parts would be eliminated by combining them?

It ought to make the single best sounding Decware amplifier.

Brian

IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 02/19/21 at 04:10:50

My wish: CSP3-25th with remote volume control that is not just a simple poti in the signal way but some better Zen design Smiley

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #21 - 02/19/21 at 13:25:19

Stefan,

Maybe this retrofit LDR volume control by Tortuga Audio to replace the attenuator.

ePot_V3_withLDR_topview1.jpg

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 02/24/21 at 04:45:25

Nice, thx MrDerrick!
They even have an electronic stepped one with apple remote, that puts the CSP3 25th on my wish list again Smiley

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print