Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 13:40:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bypass cap voltage for anniversary mods on Zkit1 (Read 1687 times)
jbohlscheid
Verified Member

Bypass cap voltage for anniversary mods on Zkit1
02/01/21 at 17:11:26

Are there any ideas or explanations for the higher voltages for the bypass capacitors for the anniversary mod components? The capacitors for the BOM of the build are 450V (33uF), 250V (20uF) and 400V (3.3uF), yet the various bypass caps are 600V according to the 3/10/2019 schematic revision.

Additionally the schematic notes the 0.1 uF coupling capacitors are 600V, but the board silk screen and BOM note a 400V rating. I am using the 400V caps and not issues as far as I can tell.

While I do understand it is acceptable to use a higher voltage rating, this also can create limitations for available capacitors and increase cost.

Are these typos or revision notes that are obsolete, or is the increased voltage rating necessary.

Thanks for your input.

IP Logged
bobc

Re: Bypass cap voltage for anniversary mods on Zkit1
Reply #1 - 02/02/21 at 13:04:53

IN bypass cases, the rule of parallel capacitors applies wrt to voltage ratings. I think so long as you match the rating of the electrolytic, you will be fine. I can't speak to how each might sound.

I too have used 400V/450 capacitor for coupling in builds with no ill effects as yet. I you look at the voltages throughout the circuit it will give you an idea as to where you can flex.

IP Logged
jbohlscheid
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/02/21 at 16:49:05

bobc - Thanks for the input. My "D" test point voltages are within spec. I'm still trying to figure out why the "A" and "B" test voltages are a bit low (out of the spec range). Next up is putting the mulitimeter on the Edcore secondaries. Cheers!

IP Logged
bobc

Reply #3 - 02/03/21 at 13:11:00

Line voltage varies and could have an impact on these voltages.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print