Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 23:55:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84TS + CSP2 Fixed or Variable Hook-up (Read 1911 times)
hostler
Verified Member

SE84TS + CSP2 Fixed or Variable Hook-up
01/27/21 at 09:27:12

Hey guys

Hope you are keeping safe and well.

I've acquired a CSP2 pre-amp / headphone amp AND an SE84TS Amp. Two sources - a network DAC player and a phono stage/ turntable. It's hooked up and working just fine, driving some small Klipsch desktop speakers.

Now trying to optimise the sound.

I have been lead to believe that driving the SE84TS through the FIXED outputs is better than through the VARIABLE ones - using the CSP2's volume control and bypassing the SE84's.

Is that true?

Whichever way I try, the SE84's volume control still is engaged and lowers/raises the speaker volume - whether using FIXED or VARIABLE inputs.

Is this right? Or has my Amp perhaps been modded?

Would welcome any advice on the best way to configure this pair.

Thanks in advance

Tom  :)

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: SE84TS + CSP2 Fixed or Variable Hook-up
Reply #1 - 01/28/21 at 02:47:20

The "fixed" jacks bypass the volume control in so much as the volume control becomes a variable ground shunt.  All the way up, the input impedance of the amplifier is 100K.  If you run it anything less than all the way up the input impedance will drop  until the source can no longer drive it.  It is intended to be used with the volume all the way up.  

The variable jacks work as you would expect, with a fixed input impedance of 100K and logarithmic control over the gain.  AKA smooth even control over the volume.

The way to tell which jack you're on is simple.  Turn the volume all the way down, turn on the amp, let it warm up a bit and then press play on your source and slowly begin to raise the volume.  If it works as expected, you are on the variable jack.  If the volume jumps up rapidly and almost instantly, you are on the fixed jack.

Hope that helps.  :)

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
hostler
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/28/21 at 13:52:10

Thanks Steve - very helpful.

Would you concur that running on fixed inputs and using the pre-amp is the preferred way of parting this pair?

And whilst I've got your attention  ;)

1. With volumes down during the 5 min warm up, I hear some faint crackling from one channel. Nothing harsh, and it disappears after a few mins. Wonder if this is the sign of expiring tubes?

2. With this CSP2 Pre & Power combo  connected as described, could I ALSO run a sub off the CSP2's mono out AS WELL as feeding the SE84 ... or would that present a double load? Or might the sound be slightly out of sync? Not looking for room-busting bass ... but a little more in the low-end would help at low volumes.

Thanks again - fantastic products

Tom

IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #3 - 01/28/21 at 15:12:03

Not sure about the tube but I have used the mono jack on my CSP3 for a subwoofer before and it worked perfectly.  This is directly from the CSP3 manual:

Connecting Subwoofers
The CSP3 can be built with your choice of two output jack configurations. You can
have two pair of stereo jacks OR one pair of stereo jacks and one mono jack.
The mono jack can be used to drive a center-speaker amplifier in a three-channel
setup, or a single channel amplifier in a mono set up; most commonly the jack can
be used to drive a powered subwoofer

IP Logged
hostler
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/28/21 at 18:32:33

Thanks ... I had read that too ... just wasn't sure if you'd experience any sync issues as the Sub would be getting an earlier signal than the speakers.

It's payday tomorrow ... reckon that sub might just 'fall' into my basket Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print