Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rachael Review (Read 7474 times)
CDN
Verified Member

It is what it is

Rachael Review
01/16/21 at 15:49:09

After placing my order in early July, I received my Rachael amp this past week. My system consists of a VPI Scout turntable with Soundsmilth cartridge; PSAudio phono preamp; Pass Labs DC-12 preamp; PSAudio Directstream DAC and internet card; PSAudio DirectStream Power Plant 12; all tied together with Morrow Audio cables of all kinds; Pure Audio Project Quintet10 speakers with Voxative driver (these speakers have the Gaia feet from Isoacoustics); REL t/7i subwoofer. I also have the Caintuck Betsy Baffle speaker, and a rebuilt Magneplanar SMG ribbon speaker from the 70's (still sounds good, by the way - not very efficient) and I have yet to have time to try them with the new Rachael.

Prior to getting the Rachael, I was using the First Watt SIT-3 amplifier. I had tried other amps in my system (all solid state), but had never found anything remotely close to the sound that the SIT-3 delivered. I have always been skeptical of using tube gear because of my perception that they are very high maintenance, and I am more interested in listening to the music than to rolling or replacing tubes. For example, if you go to Nelson Pass' First Watt website, you will discover that he has never had a SIT-3 returned for product failure - quite an impressive record. The SIT-3 provided a good soundstage and took all harshness out of the upper octaves that I have sometimes experienced with other solid state amps. It is only 27 watts and all class A, so it might be the closest thing to a tube amp. It is also plenty hefty enough to easily drive all of my speakers. The bottom line is that I am very happy with this amp, and questioned whether for any reasonable amount of money it would be possible to improve upon it.

Since I got the Caintuck Betsy Baffles, and in communicating with Randy, he always raved about the Decware amps and how great the made the Betsy Baffles sound. The net result is that after some dithering, I decided to order one of the Decware amps. I found myself really struggling with which one to order, but Randy said he was partial to the Rachael, and since this was my reluctant venture into tubes, I decided that 6 watts of power seemed enough for my setup, and because I was not convinced that I would see any improvement in my system, I opted for a lower priced unit with what I hoped was adequate power, with only one set of inputs - a standard unit with no add ons. I figured that if it did not perform, at least I can return it, even though I would burn 10 percent of the purchase price as a restocking fee.

I received the Racheal, and it was very well packaged, and the heft and build quality right out of the box were obvious. I figured out which tube goes where (still haven't figured out which direction of the switch is for 4-8 amp-speakers or 8 amps and above; the manual is silent on that, but I also cannot really tell any difference in positioning the switches). Got everything connected up, good news is that I must have hooked everything up properly, since after about 30 seconds meters came up to speed - and they matched! I like the auto bias feature, at least for a newbie like me.

I have used Randy's playlist that he sends out with the Betsy Baffles as a sounding board to test out new gear since I received those speakers. So, back to my trusty playlist to see if even my ears are able to discern any differences from the First Watt amp. Oh my goodness, all of the music took on completely new and improved musicality and tonality. The soundstage expanded; instrument placement was almost able to be visualized, and vocals sounded lush, rich and had a "right there" quality to them. Guitar especially became even richer and more musical. I found myself wondering what happened. Best news of all was I was tapping my toe to nearly everything I played. The music came to life. The First Watt is a great amp, but at least in my system, the Rachael is markedly better.

I tried the Rachael with and without using the preamp - I think it is ever so slightly better without the preamp, but not enough of a change to make me want to leave the preamp out and manually switch cables around, given my Rachael configuration only has one set of inputs. I know I can buy the Decware cable switcher, but then I also need more cables - not worth it for me, YMMV.

I have upgraded other aspects of my system in the past, most of the time realizing subtle improvements in sound. Adding the Decware amp in was not subtle! It singularly made the biggest change for the better from anything I have ever done to my system. In all the investments I have made in stereo gear, I have never received more value for money than this - and a lifetime warranty to boot. Kudos to the Decware team, and my thanks to Randy for his recommendation. No, I will not be returning this amp for a refund - someone will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Rachael Review
Reply #1 - 01/16/21 at 16:50:03

Congratulations! Yes indeed, the Steve Deckert/Randy Rash connection is a win/win. My Decware purchase also led me to Randy and the open baffle sound. I never could have dreamed that I would have the kind of sound I have now. Thank God for each one of these gentlemen!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/16/21 at 17:29:17

Good review!  A testament to the value of Decware products and your choice of advisors.

I am eight years into my white top SE34 and can not see any reason to change!

Enjoy the music!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/16/21 at 19:09:45

+1 on the congratulations!

you might consider selling the pass preamp and get yourself a CSP3. you'll probably never look back.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/16/21 at 19:14:49

Great news CDN. Exciting 1st impressions. Looking forward to your thoughts after the Rachel burns in!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #5 - 01/16/21 at 20:06:14

CDN - Great review, always a nice conformation when the item you purchased puts a big smile on your face and makes your toes tap. Adding a Decware preamp will just make it all the better. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
CDN
Verified Member

It is what it is

Reply #6 - 01/17/21 at 01:32:38

Hey Chris and Piezoman, Regarding the Decware preamp - currently I need two balanced inputs in to a pre-amp, and one single ended out for the Rachael amp. I cannot see that any of the Decware preamps fit that configuration, and I am not interested in using converters, so what do you suggest?  Craig

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #7 - 01/17/21 at 16:25:45

CDN - Steve's ZTPRE can be configured with balanced in's/out's, a call to Steve would direct you and answer your question. It does come with a hefty price tag, but as I have found when buying Decware, order what you really want and you will not be disappointed. Once I sold off my other gear, and started purchasing our Decware gear I have never looked back. Sure, I would love to send them all in for the 25th anniv upgrades but the thought of no music for that long leaves me cold...maybe someday. Keep us posted on what you come up with, and that amp is just going to get better and better as the hours rack up. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
CDN
Verified Member

It is what it is

Reply #8 - 01/17/21 at 19:20:11

Hi Chris, Thank you for your thoughtful input. I will put a call in to Steve to see what he recommends - it sounds like some variant of the ZTPRE is the answer with a couple of converters from XLR to RCA. I always get a little uncomfortable that using converters of any type will degrade the sound, but perhaps I am anticipating something that has little overall sound impact. I am quite happy with my Pass Labs DC-12 preamp; but I also was happy with the First Watt SIT-3, so perhaps there is even better sound quality to be had with the Decware preamp. This has been an interesting journey for me thus far, and I think I would be one of the last people to transition from SS to tube anything! Living and still learning   Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 01/17/21 at 19:43:56

The recommendation for a ZTPRE is a good one. I have a ZTPRE for that reason--three balanced inputs and a balanced output, and a ZBIT to use with the output of the ZTPRE with the single-ended RCA of components downstream.

The ZTPRE is an amazing sounding preamp, the best I've ever heard. One day I'll send it in for the Anniversary mod. . . if I can bear being without it long enough!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #10 - 01/17/21 at 20:43:42

CDN - I understand the concern on adaptors/ converters etc...but what I have learned from all these years with Decware/this forum and Steve is that if Steve is selling something, it won't hurt the signal chain. I had concerns adding the Decware switch box to make the system easier for family members to use. No sonic damage done. The Zen Master will guide. Welcome to the tribe and keep us posted on your adventure. Happy listening, Chris.
P.S. All the years that I have been on this fourm, I have found Lon's input and insights to be well worth the read...actually everyone here has some great input.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/01/21 at 23:10:13

My first Decware amp was a Rachael and I had two at one point.  I still have one and enjoy it.  I am half tempted to send it in to get the UFO transformers.  Enjoy!

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/21/22 at 01:10:16

I know its a year old thread but wanted to take some time to thank you for your review.  I pulled the trigger on the Rachael on Black Friday, so still have a long way to go but it is highly encouraging to know that you immediately loved it over an amp that Nelson Pass designed! Reading through the comments, it looks like ppl are also recommending the preamp.  I recently got a Schiit Freya Plus tube preamp (my first experience with tubes) and I am really enjoying it. I will most likely pair that with the Rachael to begin with and decide if I want to get a Decware preamp instead. Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences, one year later.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print