03/29/24 at 00:58:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do speakers matter? (Read 6466 times)
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Do speakers matter?
01/07/21 at 21:44:37

This just might be the dumbest question on here, but here goes!. I have a SE84UFO25 coming soon and I started pondering today how to best build break-in time on the new amp. I'm at work in my office 8-10 hours most days. I have a Taboo, DAC, ZStage setup feeding a pair of Steve's Tiny Radials on my office desk and they sound magical! Can or should I replace the Taboo with the SE84UFO25 and feed Steve's Tiny Radials in order to get more (faster) hours on the new amp? Do the speakers matter when it comes to amp break in? Thanks to the community for your input.
Malcolm

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Do speakers matter?
Reply #1 - 01/07/21 at 22:06:56

A load on the amplifier is a load on the amplifier. What speakers it is driving have no bearing on the heat cycles that you are putting the amp through.
It is all about the heat cycles.

5 hours on, 5 hours cooling is the quickest way to get the amp broken in.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/07/21 at 22:46:42

Thanks Donnie.
I recall seeing a post from Steve that the "quality" of the music fed to the amp matters, ie. don't use break in, pink noise etc. It sounds like if I use a good dac, good music selection and 5 hours on, 5 hours off I'll be set! Anything else you would recommend?

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 01/07/21 at 22:59:44

Just play the heck out of it and enjoy the music, that is what all of this is about, isn't it?

One last thing, I recommend that everyone sends me cash. If everyone sent me say $2000 each, maybe 4 times a year, I wouldn't have the need to work. Things would be much better, at least in my opinion.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/08/21 at 00:55:08

I'll drop your check in the mail first thing tomorrow morning. Feel free to place an order with Decware, your money is on the way Wink

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/08/21 at 01:14:18

Donnie,

I just PayPal'd you $2,000. Why did you send me back $4,000? Oh it's one of those pyramid deals, cool.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/04/21 at 08:43:38

I like the getting paid idea a lot.   Probably wouldn't work though.  Because.... If you're like me, you've already been  on the Decware site scoping out your next purchase.   Wink

Jim

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/10/21 at 14:13:07

Malcolm,

I go back and forth and read past posts.  As for yours, not sure we really answered your question.  While not an expert, I have learned that input from some of the folks on here can be invaluable.  As for the speakers, yes, they definitely matter.  However, not necessarily in terms of break in or seasoning of your new amp. I've heard all kinds of ideas.   As previously mentioned, some say playing amp at a normal listening level for five hours on, five hours off.  Cycling this process.  I've heard of playing CD's or a streaming source at a moderate levels for 40-80 hours on end.  Not with a tube amp.  Have heard people say they did this with a Class D or Solid State Amp.  (Not sure where they slept)  I've hear of facing speakers, covering them with a blanket and playing them out of phase.  Also said to be good for speaker run in  And again, not with your tube amp unattended.  

Now, all of the above may be fine; however in the end I agree with Donnie, play the thing and enjoy the music.  In fact, the more you're present for the "break in" or "burn in" the more you'll enjoy your new amp.

Jim

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/10/21 at 19:33:14

Jim,
Thank you. I plugged up the amp, connected it to my csp3 and a set of mini radials on my desk and let it sing!... I'm enjoying the combo.
Malcolm

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/15/21 at 20:59:49

Just curious.  Since last March, I've been relegated to working from home office.  I stream Tidal and have been listening for years via an old Cambridge Audio 2.1 designed for the computer.  It sounds remarkably good.  That said, it appears that unless I choose to retire,  I'll be stuck working from home for a good portion if not the remainder of the year.  So, since you've been giving the Tiny Radials a daily workout, and since office listening (for me at least) tends to be background music, is the investment in the radials worth it?  

Jim

IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/15/21 at 22:18:04

Jim,
I'm pleased each time I listen to them. I sit in front of my desktop with each Tiny Radial about an arms length from each shoulder. I can't guess at how many time a big smile crosses my face as I listen each day. I listen to jazz most of the time with some Boston and Van Morrison sprinkled in. I run them from my Taboo MK4 connected via balanced direct to my dac (Metrum Jade connected using Roon). I also have a $99 sub connected directly to the speaker jacks. It sounds really, really good for the money and does not take up a lot of space. Perfect for my office. I do find that a good amp, good cables and a good source make a difference. I have a second setup of Tiny Radials in my home office as well connected in a similar way. Best $299 I've spent this year.
Malcolm

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/15/21 at 22:30:46

Thanks Malcolm,

If you don't mind, what was the turn around from the time you ordered to the time you received them?  If they're like everything else, there might me a long wait.

J

IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/16/21 at 00:03:52

Less than a week both times. Decware doesn't take orders for the TR's. They are only available when they appear under the speaker tab on the web site, I checked daily and watched for updates via Facebook from Decware/Steve. They go really quickly and I just got lucky. They are Steve's project and I guess he makes them as time and material allow. You might try checking with members to see if anyone wants to sell a pair. I believe mine were $329 shipped for Walnut.
Malcolm

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/16/21 at 00:39:31

I didn't know.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Steve08226

Reply #14 - 01/08/22 at 04:56:08

"Do speakers matter?"

IMHO everything matters when it comes to the sound you can achieve in your room.

In our situation GIK room treatments made the biggest improvement, and currently are the best and most bang for the buck in our system.

We haven't received our Decware Torii Jr V2 amp yet, so that last sentence my change!!!

Just my Thoughts,
Steve08226

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print