04/25/24 at 01:55:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CANARY GR (Read 5373 times)
jasbirnandra
Verified Member

CANARY GR
01/05/21 at 08:11:18

Hello everyone I am new here I have a question about the Canary Grand Reference which I bought new with gold lion PX300b tubes.
I want to know if anyone has experience with this amp burn-in how many hours does it take for the GR to reach its peak performance level.
Thank you

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: CANARY GR
Reply #1 - 01/05/21 at 12:11:40

I am sure that somebody here knows about the brand. After everything burns in for 50-100 hours or so I would guess it will probably sound its best; maybe improve over time.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #2 - 01/05/21 at 15:21:18

I too own the Canary Audio Grand Reference monos that I purchased new.  It has been about a year since I installed them but from what I can recall, it took about 200 hours before I felt they settled in to their sound that has been consistent since.  

They are amazing amps, congrats!  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
jasbirnandra
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/05/21 at 16:22:13

What tubes do you have in the Canary GR? what do you like about the amp

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #4 - 01/05/21 at 23:07:33

I had the Gold Lions you have, buy switched to the gold pin Electro-Harmonix.  They both sound great, but I get better tube life and the bias seems to maintain better with the EH 300B's.  Unfortunately, we don't have much to choose from in the 300B category that is not the price of a new car.    after purchasing 16 of them.  

The amps check all the boxes for me.  Very powerful and dynamic with seemingly infinite layers.  I am a detail freak and these babies deliver in droves.  I can also listen to them all day and zero fatigue sets in.  They power my Tannoy Westminster speakers and that synergy is magical.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
jasbirnandra
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/06/21 at 08:08:44

what is the bias current you put your tubes on

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #6 - 01/06/21 at 15:11:27

I am running them at 55ma

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/06/21 at 17:43:36

16 x min of $110 ea = $1,760 in EH 300B tubes.

Yikes!

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #8 - 01/07/21 at 06:56:31

Yeah, not a pleasant cost of ownership, but I can say with conviction that is it money well spent!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/07/21 at 10:21:29

The canary in the coal mine?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/08/21 at 00:54:15

Hi Jeff,
did you look into the Carver 350 mono blocks? Those are on my list for high power and down to low impedance. What is attractive about those is the claim that the tubes are run with low current if not used and thus are claimed to be lasting 10 years?!

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #11 - 01/08/21 at 05:20:09

I have not heard the Carver 350 monos, but I have heard the stereo version  of that amp with the same "technology" in terms of the low bias on the tubes.  I was not impressed.  The sound was, well... boring.  I wanted to like them, but they just could not hold a candle to so many other amps I have heard in my friends listening rooms or the many high-end audio shows I have attended.  On paper the features sounds great, but to my ears they did not.

IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/09/21 at 05:15:53

Thanks Jeff, good to know. Unfortunately to a lot of choice out there for a good sounding >150W tube amp below $10k out there.

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print