03/28/24 at 19:26:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
For sale  ... ZROCK25 (Read 1857 times)
maaardee
Verified Member

For sale  ... ZROCK25
11/26/20 at 00:58:47

This zrock25 has been ok'd by Steve and comes with the Decware lifetime warrantee. Beeswax caps option etc.. No tube ,so plug in your fav..Cost to me $1750cad. Asking 1500cad. It ships from Decware E Peoria Illinois. My name is Marty and can be reached at ... wedraaaam@gmail.com. ... or. 306 684 0998 evenings till the wee wee hrs. ...Thanks...

IP Logged
mnmax
Verified Member

Re: For sale  ... ZROCK25
Reply #1 - 11/26/20 at 02:03:25

Pm sent

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/26/20 at 19:03:19

That didn't last long

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
maaardee
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 12/04/20 at 12:10:55

Er what??? I have recieved no communication ...period.
  And ...the zrock2+ is still ...FOR SALE...

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/04/20 at 12:16:27

May I please?

PM me and the money will come ASAP!

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/04/20 at 16:32:36

On second thought, I rescind my offer.

Beeswax is a little cheaper in my area.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/04/20 at 16:48:20

Quote:
This zrock25 has been ok'd by Steve and comes with the Decware lifetime warrantee.

I think once equipment changes hands, Steve would need to reinstate the warranty.  The procedure for that is detailed somewhere on the site.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #7 - 12/06/20 at 07:50:25

Just spent an hour rapping with Marty about all things audio, particularly our Decware journey.  Marty is a pleasant and very  interesting fellow and I enjoyed our conversation.  I was particularly interested in his experience with the 25th Anniversary Zen amp. It is an end game amp.. his words.

That said, I just dropped $1500 CAD so I can officially proclaim that this fully-loaded ZROCK2-25 is SOLD!!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/06/20 at 12:02:41

Hey Jeff is that Alan Hale, Sr., in your icon?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #9 - 12/06/20 at 16:37:47

Hey Riviera...  It's actually Bill Murray from the movie "Coffee and Cigarettes."

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/06/20 at 17:13:51

Jeff, I'll be very interested in your impressions.  I took my loaded ZR2 out of the chain a few months ago and haven't missed it.  I think that's very speaker dependent though.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #11 - 12/06/20 at 17:40:04

Will do Archie!   I'm not sure how it will fit synergy-wise, but I figure it is worth trying.  I had a ZROCK2 awhile back, although in a much different system configuration.  I want to see how the "25th" version of the ZROCK2 sounds.  I'm extremely happy with everything as it stands, but I'm curious to see how the EQ effect of the ZROCK2 sounds with my Tannoy Westminster's.

Did you feel it detracted when installed in your system?  Or, were you just not a fan of the way it altered the bass/treble?    

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 12/06/20 at 17:58:40

Originally, with my HR1s, I was blown away by the improvement it gave in bass depth and lower mid bloom and density.  I still liked it with my F15s but I started to play with the bypass and gain knob.  What I found was that if I switched to bypass with the gain knob above zero, there was a "veil" over everything when bypassed.  It seemed to be removed with the knob zeroed but without removing the ZR2 completely, I couldn't be sure.  The bypass switch was supposed to allow the user to hear directly what the ZR2 was doing but the sound was compromised without zeroing the knob so the comparison wasn't fair.  Once I realized this I found the ZR2 wasn't adding what I thought and with the F15s, it wasn't necessary.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #13 - 12/07/20 at 02:12:38

Thanks for the explanation Archie.  I don't like switches in the path.  Wondering if not having a bypass switch installed and just setting the knob at 12 O'clock (no EQ effect) would provide better sonics.  Though you would need to find that sweet spot on the knob every time.  It would certainly be easier with a stepped attenuator compared to the standard POT, if this methodology was followed.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 12/07/20 at 02:32:09

Not sure I follow.  

The bypass switch hopefully doesn't affect the sound when it's NOT in bypass.  Steve would have to explain the signal path.  There was a guy who was complaining about the ZR2 veiling the sound and he sold it.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #15 - 12/07/20 at 05:09:40

Hey Archie, I guess my point was that any switch can only detract.  In other words, there is no switch I am aware of that does not have a theoretical downfall.  Whether that handicap amounts to any audible sacrifice in quality is the argument - a mostly subjective one at that.  

The ZROCK2 has a true bypass so the resistive effect of the components within would not come into play with the switch in "Bypass."  The wire from the RCA inputs run to Position 1 on the 2-way switch, which routes the signal through the ZROCK2 EQ circuit. Position 2 avoids the ZROCK2 circuit and routes the wires right to the output RCA jacks avoiding any of the internal components.  But, the switch, likely a $5 part at best, in now in your signal path regardless of whether the EQ circuit is engaged or bypassed.  

My understanding of the design is Steve built a gain stage into the ZROCK2 circuit to compensate for the signal voltage lost to the EQ circuit.  So, there is definitely a "flavor" influence on the source signal imparted by the ZROCK2 when engaged.  And there is a series of "parts" in which the signal must pass when "Bypassed."   In other words, there is no free lunch anytime you add anything into the signal path.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 12/07/20 at 06:06:47

Jeff, when I flip the switch to bypass I hear a difference in sound from when the dial is fully counter-clockwise compared to various clock-wise positions.  The sound isn't being "equalized" but more like veiled.  When I found this was the case it surprised the hell out of me because I assumed it would be like you describe -- a total disconnect.

When you get your ZR2 try it.  I never tried this before my ZR2 was modified so it's possible it is related to the mods.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #17 - 12/07/20 at 06:23:12

Archie, I think the problem may be that when the POT is fully counter clockwise, it is actually equalized.  It is only when the knob is at the half-way point, at the 12 O'Clock position, that the EQ is neutral.  This is, according to Steve, the same as flipping the bypass switch.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 12/07/20 at 16:27:42

I would have thought that with the bypass engaged, the dial wouldn't function.  But it does do something.  To my ears, zero is the most natural while 12 o'clock had a veil over it.  I never explored this earlier since in the literature, Steve talks about flipping the bypass to hear what the equalization brings (which implied to me that the dial did nothing in bypass mode).

Other than that one user who claimed the ZR2 veiled his music, I haven't heard of anyone reporting this.  His report got me exploring with mine.

I'll be very interested to learn what you find.  Or anyone else out there -- let me know if you hear anything similar to what I do.

This effect isn't an indictment of the ZR2 but it may make comparisons between bypassed and engaged unfair.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 12/07/20 at 18:50:22

I find this discussion very interesting.  I have a ZRock2 on order, at the bottom of the long list of Decware orders.

Please don't think me rude but would the subject be a interesting read on the ZRock forum?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 12/08/20 at 00:52:12

I've posted some of this there but no one replied specifically, that I know of.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #21 - 12/08/20 at 08:02:35

Thanks for the additional explanation Archie.  I will definitely report back.  When I had my original ZROCK2, I did not do a very thorough comparison of how the box affected my overall sound in bypass.  All my effort went into seeing if the benefits of the ZR2 engaged were categorically beneficial.  And for the system i had at the time, it was. But after finally settling in on my major components, the need for the ZR2 brought was no longer there.  Not that it would not have improved anemic music, but anemic music was not played much and therefore I felt it was needed less than 5% of the time.  

After the modded version came out, and another evolution in my system, my curiosity was once again piqued.  So, here I am.   Smiley

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 12/08/20 at 16:08:22

Jeff, that's pretty much my experience except that I'm still holding on to my ZR2.   Smiley

I would like to have it in for the few anemic recordings, as you say, but not being 100% sure that the bypass is transparent, I do without.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print