Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 19:26:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone familiar with VAS in NJ? (Read 3480 times)
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Anyone familiar with VAS in NJ?
11/17/20 at 18:12:56

I came across a company in NJ called Vinyl Audio Science that does cartridge repairs. I have used SoundSmith in the past on a re-tipping but this DV 17DX has a short in the right channel. Harry from VPI posted a comment about some cartridge work he had done (RIP) and was very gracious in his comments. Any input? DV and the US distributor have not replied after many many inquiries. Working in QC, while I have loved my DV carts I have to say that their Quality Control is lacking...Happy Listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: Anyone familiar with VAS in NJ?
Reply #1 - 11/17/20 at 18:27:25

Chris,

Steve Yeung at VAS retipped my Dyna 20X2 cartridge last year. It sounds exceptional and I highly recommend his work. He has repaired hundreds of Dyna carts. He is located in the same building as VPI and wires a lot of their tonearms too.

He retipped my cart in two weeks too.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #2 - 11/17/20 at 18:53:16

HK- Thank you for the reply. Good info, when he replied to my inquiry he said that  there is 65-70% chance of fixing it, depending on where the short is. Worth the money to send it to him and get a quote/possibility of repair. Really liked the cartridge when it worked but 13 month life for a cart of that $$$ is not money well spent. Thanks again, and happy listening. Chris

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/18/20 at 03:49:38

My current cartridge is a Denon 103R which Steve rebuilt earlier this year with a boron cantilever and the line contact stylus. It sounds amazing and is a significant improvement over the stock 103R, which I also own. Best thing was the donor cartridge had a pretty severely skewed cantilever, and it came back to me perfectly straight and easy to align.

I also had him refurbish my 2nd gen Triplanar and it came back better than new: I can't wait to get it mounted this winter. He had to spend a lot of time looking for counterweight bushing material. He does beautiful work and I highly recommend him.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 11/22/20 at 16:38:01

Thank you all for the replys and info. Packed up the DV and it's on its way to Steve @ VAS. Hopefully it is repairable and affordable. Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #5 - 12/19/20 at 15:29:57

Thank you for the input all about Steve and Vinyl Audio Science. Steve did find the problem with my DV cart, a broken wire on the right coil. He asked if I used any liquid stylus cleaners or treatments and I admitted that I did and had forever. He said that it looked like the coil wire was oxidized, which caused fatigue and that's where it failed. He felt that he could repair it and after some discussion I decided to pass on the repair. I feel he is an AMAZING repair person with carts and from what armstdave said magical with his Triplaner tone arm repair. I would not hesitate to use him, his communication was better and faster than anyone I have met in audio repair. Going to look to the Hana LOMC after the holiday's and get settled up on a few medical bills. Steve said a dry stylus brush used correctly is the best thing to clean the tip. 45+ year playing with audio toys and I'm still learning....Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/19/20 at 18:27:12

Yup, Steve Leung at VAS is the best. Not only excellent cartridge repairs but his line of handbuilt cartridges are truly wonderful.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print