Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 14:28:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
10% off Black Friday coupon - tubes to buy? (Read 3096 times)
canonken
Seasoned Member

10% off Black Friday coupon - tubes to buy?
11/12/20 at 02:21:11

I'm thinking about getting a 'lifetime supply' of tubes for my incoming SE84UFO2 with the 10% off Black Friday coupon.  12 total tubes, 3 sets.

6P15P-EV - 6 (3 sets)

6N1P - 1
6N5P - 1
6N23P - 1

5U4 - 1
5Y3GT - 1
274B - 1
(I also have a half-dozen NOS rectifier tubes, but would like some options from Steve that I know are 100% perfect for this)

Instead of getting one each for the Input and Rectifier, I can easily be convinced to gravitate to one of the three options for each.  For example, if the more expensive 274B's are 'the' tube to get, I will just get three of those instead.

Also, Decware sells KT88s.  I have a MC275 (current version) that uses 4, and curious if I should grab a set of these as well.  I don't know exactly the brand/details of these.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: 10% off Black Friday coupon - tubes to buy?
Reply #1 - 11/12/20 at 02:36:04

How long do you anticipate living? Smiley

The one big advantage of buying tubes from Steve is that he thoroughly tests and matches tubes, and his process tests for a few factors others don't. Everytime i've gotten a tube from Steve it has been a top-notch example of that type and has given no problems.

I am using his tested and matched 6N5P and output tubes in my components and they really deliver.

As to what will work best in your system. . . it's really hard to say. Rooms and personal taste in sound play a large part and individual results vary. I know the temptation to save 10 percent on a large amount of tubes, but it may make more sense to buy just one of the different types you wish and try them out before committing to larger quantities.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/12/20 at 02:40:07

Well other than a few sets of the output tubes (which would be nice to have on hand), note I have 1 each for the output and rectifier tubes...which is some great rolling opportunities.

Think of it more about getting a tube library on hand!

Even if I didn't use them here, these are tubes I could use on other, future amps.  Especially for NOS stuff, they are not making more of them and I have no problem getting myself a nice assortment.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 11/12/20 at 02:42:58

Well, consider trying a 6N5P.

I just meant by my question. . . a "lifetime" of some tubes is a large number. I go through output tubes about a pair a year, and have two amps that use them. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/12/20 at 02:48:14

Opps, see above, I edited.  Should have said 6N5P (as shown in the Tube section of Decware).

Wow, I am in my 30's.  I really hope 3 sets of tubes is not my lifetime!

I am going off the 6,000 hour number Steve gives for the output and input tubes.  18,000 hours which is a pretty decent amount of time (that is excluding what my amp will include).  And on top of that, I have a half-dozen rectifier tubes, a pair of JJ output tubes, and a few input tubes.  So that should keep me busy!

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/12/20 at 02:53:39

This is what I am thinking.  The KT88 quad would be for the MC275...if I can validate those are a good match.

For the others, if it is a no-brainer to get one over the others, all for that!  I have 3 sets of the 6P15's as that is the one choice, and want to have roughly the same number of sets of the three tube types.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 11/12/20 at 03:48:53

I'm not going to tell you not to buy rectifiers from Steve. But what Steve recommends is buying NOS rectifiers, not current production. He sells current production because he can't get NOS in quantity. I'd spend the money on input or power tubes instead. FWIW/JMO/YMMV.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/12/20 at 22:25:31

While I have a good supply of NOS ones (6), it would be nice to have some new ones as well, and especially for trouble-shooting.

Anyway, thanks and appreciate the advice.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print