Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 14:10:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
considering a couple of changes (Read 1282 times)
jimmieg
Ex Member

considering a couple of changes
09/20/20 at 19:16:57

Hello all:  first let me say that I have been away from this forum for a long time. Life got in the way for a little while but now I'm back.

I have a Zen ufo amp which I have had for three years and love. It's driving my Omega super HO alnico monitors very well in my small dedicated room. I mostly listen to vinyl and I am running my Liberty Audio b2b1 phono amp directly into the Zen and it seems to work well.  I have not used a line preamp in this configuration so I don't know if I am missing anything or not. I very rarely feel as though I need more power.  But of course the upgrade itch has returned.

I am wondering about adding the Decware line preamp, but also wonder about getting the Zen mono-blocks.  If i go mono-blocks I would keep my current Zen for use at my office. I like the idea of the further channel separation gained from the mono-blocks, not to mention it would appeal to me aesthetically as well.  *I suppose I could also stretch and get the m-blocks and the preamp.  Anxious to hear what the experts here have to say.   Thanks,   Jim

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: considering a couple of changes
Reply #1 - 09/20/20 at 20:38:40

My suggestion is two-fold. First, since you've been gone the exciting 25th Anniversary Mods have been released and out in the field they are wowing owners. They are the real deal, they transform the amps giving them most of the properties that a preamp might. So I recommend either sending your amp in for the mods (any of the cap choices are great with the mods, so it would be cheaper to just mod with the same caps you have especially as they are so well-seasoned). You will feel as if you have a new amp, and it will keep you satisfied a long time.

Secondly I would suggest thinking of the ZP3 phono preamp. It's a great preamp--I'm unfamiliar with your phono preamp but odds are it will be a great match for the UFO amp in either un-modded or modded form. I think especially with UFO and ZP3 with the mods you won't think you need another preamp.

One further note: I have the SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with the 25th Anniversay mods and they work great with my not as efficient as your speakers HR-1s, and have ended my own amp envy or "wander lust." You could consider those, but if your speakers are really happy with your UFOs I think modding the UFO with the 25th mods would certainly be less expensive and would really give your listening a boost. . . .

Best of luck and welcome back.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jimmieg
Ex Member

Re: considering a couple of changes
Reply #2 - 09/20/20 at 21:07:59

Thanks Lon. I have thought about the zp3. And it brings me to another point; I probably need to get a new gear rack. My Decware amp sits on a wood board in the floor next to my rack. This is because I don't have much space between shelves ( I used to have SS gear ). My current rack is a nice timbernation piece and I could use it in the corner for my record cleaning machine, and find a new rack which will hold tube gear with more clearance. Thx for the info about 25th anny mods!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print