Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help starting over (Read 4669 times)
rockrubber1
Verified Member

Help starting over
09/13/20 at 05:34:04

Hello Decware community,
This is my first post. I've been lurking on the forums the last few weeks and I'm hooked.
I've never owned anything but SS amps and typical box speakers, Rotel, Peachtree and B&W. After being unsatisfied with my system for a while and hearing the system of a friend who switched to a McIntosh 275 tube amp on his speakers ( B&Ws, Klipsch Forte 4s, Cornwall 3s, Cornerhorns and Heresy3s) I was intrigued. He then borrowed my speakers and they sounded better on that Mac amp than on my 300 watt per channel Peachtree. I know room conditions play a big part but I was blown away at the difference.
After that experience I started researching amps which brought me to Decware amps and speakers (the open baffle thread was an eye opener).
I now want to replace both, possibly starting with the amp first but I don't know if an acceptable amp for a set of 89 db B&Ws will be the right amp for a set of ZF15Ms or DNA2s etc. therefore I'm looking for advice.
When I replace speakers how do I know which ones are the right choice for my room when I can't demo them beforehand?
If it will help I can post pics of my listening area.
Thanks, Mike

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Help starting over
Reply #1 - 09/13/20 at 13:06:23

Hi Mike;

A Torii Mk IV amp with anniversary modifications would make your existing speakers sound much better.

You can take your time with changing speakers. HR1 would do well in any room.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/13/20 at 15:41:45

Tell us about your room
What are your sources?
Any room treatments?

I only have Decware experience with 6 watts or less. If I was starting over and could only have 1 amp, I would choose ZMA.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/13/20 at 16:25:05

You could go low power SET with an anniversary SE84UFO25 and the ‘Lii Audio ‘15’s.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
rockrubber1
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 09/13/20 at 16:46:41

Thanks for your replies.
The source is Deezer/Amazon hi def streamed thru Bluesound Node 2i plugged directly into the Peachtree.
The room has 11' vaulted ceiling and is 18' deep and 22' wide but has a walk around freestanding fireplace to the left of my listening position. In front of listening position is the equipment cabinet with 80" tv above it with a solid wall behind left speaker. The right speaker is split with a wall and large opening going into kitchen behind it. On far right side of room there's a wall of windows.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/13/20 at 16:57:45

Regarding your question about using the same amp for 89 db and 100 db speakers, I've used my 40 W ZMA with speakers from about 91.5 db to the ~100 db F15s in the big baffle and the higher efficiency speakers got louder and better.  So, if you want to run that range, I'd suggest a higher power amp.  One caveat, I've never heard any other Decware amp than my ZMA.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/13/20 at 18:59:55

Welcome to the Decware Forum! You might consider seeing if anyone in your area has Decware equipment and try to arrange a listening session. All of Steve's amps are top notch, but each sound a little different. The same goes for speaker selection.

The way I started out was purchasing a used Zen amplifier and used pair of Omega speakers. I found the combination of a SET amplifier and Alnico single driver speakers simply magical in my small listening room.

If you can't find anyone locally, consider taking a trip to East Peoria, IL and schedule a listening session at Decware. Having attended two Decfest events I can't think of a better place to listen to all the combinations possible. Plus, you'll have Steve there to personally guide you with your selections. Can't go wrong with this approach.

Consider it a wise front end investment in building your system the right way. That's my 2 cents.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/14/20 at 01:58:20

If you buy amp first and speakers second, do you expect a long delay of listening to your existing speakers with the new amp before you are able to get the new speakers?

If you think the time may be short, I would get the amp which is best for the speakers you will ultimately settle on, and get by as best you are able with however much mismatch there may be of the new amp with the old speakers.

Brian

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/14/20 at 11:03:34

Mike,

Welcome to the Forum...

If you are used to and like the sound coming out of your B&W, those are decent speakers (even the low-end models and I do not know which model you have).  To this day, I still have my DM630i's (at 91dB and 4 ohms) which I drive with an SE84UFO25.  But back in the day, when I first started my Decware journey, I started with an SE84CS, and then added a second one to double (or more) the power.  Those amps driving my B&W's were great in tone, yet struggled at operatic voice and classical piano music (there was too much clipping).

When I switched to the TORII mkII, my problems were solved, and I used that combination for close to 6-7 years.  Whenever I try my amps with single-driver full efficiency speakers (including some Omega's and Zu's), I was never satisfied personally, but that is only me.  As I do not have a dedicated listening room, I do not have any room treatment at all, so I never had the chance to fine-tune my single drivers; so I am not the best person to comment on that.  Yet, given the experiences of our fellow Froum members, going the low-power amp - hi-efficiency speaker route might still be the best way to go.

However, here is what I would do.  I would invest in the ZMA or the current version of TORII, and hold on to the B&W's for a while.  I can assure you that that would be a to-die-for experience already (that has been mine).  Over time, such detailed amps can even change your listening rituals.  For instance, I have three systems at home currently, two of which are low-powered Decware amps (SE84UFO25 and SE34I.2+).  The Decware's are driving the B&W's and some Rega's, both of which are around 91dB, and the volume for any type of music is more than enough for me; as I hear every single detail in all registers that my ears can pick.

So, after spending some time with the ZMA/TORII/B&W combination, I would start looking into also the low-powered options over time, for a second system in place.  In the meantime, of course, I would invest into the source(s) as well as cabling and filtering.  

IMO and IME...  Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
rockrubber1
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 09/15/20 at 15:39:00

Thanks for the additional replies. I'll look into which amp will work with the B&Ws for a while andmaybe a Zrock to improve the sound of the Bluesound streamer.
Mike

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #10 - 09/15/20 at 23:51:29

Welcome to the Decware forum and a great group of guys who are truly passionate audiophiles.  As another forum member mentioned, if you can make a trip to Decware and schedule a listening session with Steve, that will be an enlightened moment.  I made the trip to Decfest 2 years ago, and it truly was an eye opener.

To hear the sound of the 2 watt SE84UFO25 Zen amp blew my mind.  With the right combination of higher efficiency speakers, You can’t beat the sound bar none.  While all of the amps in the Decware Line sound great, there is something magical about the 25th Anniversary Zen amp that draws you in like no other.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
rockrubber1
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 09/16/20 at 19:54:53

Thanks Dom. I'll consider a trip. I know I'd love it
Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print