Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 16:10:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where to Start - Pure Audio Project Trio 15 (Read 1259 times)
mastertrash
Verified Member

Where to Start - Pure Audio Project Trio 15
08/16/20 at 21:59:22

Hi there,

I’m a long-time audiophile, but a newcomer to Decware and SET’s. I’ve been playing around though and have got the bug and bad!

First things first. I recently picked up a pair of Pure Audio Project Trio 15’s and am quite in love with them. They’re large open baffles with 2x15” woofers on each side, plus interchangeable full range drivers for the mids and highs. I’m currently running the 8” Tang Bands but have decided to step up to the Voxativ FR drivers.

I decided one of the joys of new speakers would be playing around with new amp pairings. I was running a Pass X-150.8 previously with PSB speakers, but that’s obviously overkill for my new open baffles. Tubes seem like fun, so I borrowed a couple amps from some friends...  One was a more traditional higher powered EL-34 which sounded great.  The other was a Decware Zen Triode.

I was totally not prepared for how amazing, fast, spacious, detailed and magical this amp would sound. I’m totally blown away!  Swapping my Pass amp back in makes me want to cry at this point.

So I’m going to need to explore these amps further. I’m torn between the Triode and something with a bit more power. I do listen pretty loud at times in my mid-sized room, but at 96db sensitivity, perhaps 2 watts will be enough for me somehow?  (He says skeptically.)

Does anyone on the forums run Pure Audio Project speakers with a Decware amp?  How much of the magic of the Triode would I trade away if I picked up more power with the Rachel or the Torii?  Any advice you could offer would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

mastertrash

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Where to Start - Pure Audio Project Trio 15
Reply #1 - 08/17/20 at 00:21:36

Quote:
How much of the magic of the Triode would I trade away if I picked up more power with the Rachel or the Torii?

Get two of them and trade none of it away. That's my plan. I wanted balanced connections, mono-blocks and more than two watts so I ordered two SE84UFOs and (in theory) it will be win, win, win. They are still a couple months out though so I can't tell you how it works in practice, but I'm optimistic.  :)

FWIW the amps the UFOs are going to replace are Pass Aleph 2s that I've had for 25 years.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
mastertrash
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 08/17/20 at 12:50:20

Thanks CAJames.  This does seem like a tempting way to go.  I worry a little about channel matching with this setup.  Presumably it wouldn't be anything that a balance control can't fix.

I would feel a little better about it if I knew that others had successfully run the PAP's with this approach...  What speakers are you running?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 08/17/20 at 14:15:07

At least one poster is doing it, with good results. I started a thread "UFOs as Balanced Monoblocks?" that is a little further down the forum. Check it out if you're interested.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
mastertrash
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 08/17/20 at 16:32:43

Super cool!  I do have balanced output on my preamp, so something like that could be exactly what I'm looking for.  Will take a look!

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/18/20 at 02:44:31

I have run my PAP Quintets (both Horn1 and Vox 1.6) with a Zen 2 watt and a Torii Jr 20 watter.  I never felt I had enough control over the woofers with either amp and ultimately settled in with my LFD NCSE at 50 or 60 watts.  The LFD is fronted by a Decware CSP3-25 preamp and the combo is spectacular.  

The triode magic of the little Zen was not missed at all when moving up to the Torii Jr.  In fact, Steve’s Hazen Grid amazingly makes the Torii Jr sound like an SET amp!  For me though, 20 watts did not satisfactorily drive my Quintets.  I’ll bet the big Mystery amp would do the job!

On a side note, if you haven’t purchased your Voxative drivers yet, you might want to consider a pair of Decware FRX2 fullrangers instead.  I put my FRX2’s in my Quintets months ago and have had no desire to remove them.  I still have my Horn1 and Vox 1.6 drivers sitting on a shelf, but I will likely be selling them soon, as the Decware FRX2’s sound so good.  The FRX2’s produce far more detail than either Vox or Horn1 and yet retain incredible smoothness.  

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
mastertrash
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 08/18/20 at 05:11:59

Awesome, thanks Doug!  How big is your room?  I am still trying to figure out how to balance the bass properly in this setup. The Pass has the Zen Triode beat in this area (perhaps unsurprisingly).

On the Decware drivers, I saw these but only after ordering the Voxativs. Tempting anyway though. Do you use the same crossover components as you used for the Voxativs?

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/18/20 at 17:30:33

Room size:  13 x 18 x 8

With the FRX2’s being the same efficiency as the woofers I simply removed the two L-Pad resistors from the circuit.  That leaves the big stock Mundorf cap and an add-on Duelund silver foil bypass cap, which is a nice, and inexpensive, upgrade to the crossover.  I also rewired the speakers with Duelund DCA-16, which resulted in another significant upgrade at a low cost.  

If I insert the Voxativ 1.6’s again, I’ll do it with the resistors removed.  I always felt that the woofers overwhelmed the padded down Vox’s with every amp I tried.  Now that I’m thinking about it, I just might do that today for the fun of it!   The Voxativ 1.6’s are very fine musical drivers, but like everything else, completely system dependent.  Another contributing factor is my slightly diminished ability to hear higher frequencies due to playing guitar in a rock band during the 70’s and early 80’s, and due to heredity.

What are your room dimensions?  What preamp are you using?  

Regarding bass management, some time ago Steve mentioned in a post that big bass corner horns make great bass traps.  Having a pair of Klipschorn bass bins in the garage, I immediately moved them to the listening room, put them in the front wall corners, shorted the terminals, and like magic, the boominess that I was experiencing at the listening position completely vanished.  What kind of bass issues are you having?

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
mastertrash
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 08/18/20 at 21:48:40

Ooh - Cool!  Can you tell me more about the bypass cap?  I would love to try that out...  I also played way too much electric guitar, but in my case in the 90's, some tinitus all the time.

My room is irregularly shaped, getting narrower at the back.  It's roughly 20 feet deep, and 18 feet wide at the front, tapering down to 13 feet wide at the back with 8 foot ceilings.

The room is prone to have some strong bass modes, with areas of cancellation and overloading.  Moving a foot or two can make a huge difference in what you hear, as with speaker placement.  This was more true with the PSB's I was running before.  I am getting a more even sound with the PAP's, with faster and more taut bass overall.  

That said, I do have an annoying upper bass suck-out happening, and it's harder to mate my two REL S/3 subwoofers with this setup.  I think the speakers demand so little current that the REL's are cranked to get sufficient output.  One of them refuses to quit humming with the Zen and I haven't figure it out yet.

More significantly, total bass volume and control is diminished with the Zen Triode versus my monster Pass Amp, though that's not such a surprise I guess.  I can't go back from the midrange and treble detail and realism though.  I fear that I am spoiled forever now!

IP Logged
Keith
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 08/19/20 at 08:52:50

I'm running the trio 15's with the horn and the Mystery amp and a Ztpre. My favourite combo to date. my room is fairly small (13 x 20) with 12 diffusers and some sound absorbers in the corners. Speakers are 3 feet off the wall with some diffusers behind the speakers.  No boomy bass, but I think I would get better bass in a larger room. Some recordings have great bass, tight and textured. I find its more dependent on the recording.
As to power, most music I listen to is plenty loud, 1/4 volume,  but some movies I will have the Mystery amp at 3/4 volume with the pre at max.
I love the speakers, great imaging and can listen at 70 to 80 db without losing anything.  The Ztpre expands the sound stage, if I remove it from the chain the imaging is still good but seems to be more focused between the speakers.
As to the cross over, I"m using the Duelund Carbon resistors. For the caps I never liked the Mundorf, tried several. So I lost my mind and purchased 2 Duelund RS Mylar at 15uf and put a 3.3 cast copper Pio in parallel for each side with the .01 on the board. really happy with this combo.
Eventually I want to try the copper foil speaker cables.
I have to get my hearing checked annually for work and so far its great. I do find some of my favourite songs from the 70's I cant listen to with these speakers. the recordings are so shitty, never noticed it until I put these speakers in. To sibilant.
I thought about trying 2 of Steves UFO's as mono blocks, but the feed back I've gotten from others is they seem to like the power to bring out the bass. If I win the lottery I will order a couple, but I love this combo. Keeps me up too late at night.
Cheers

IP Logged
mastertrash
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 08/19/20 at 12:54:09

Awesome - Thanks for your thoughts, Keith.  There's no substitute for experience and you and Doug have had these speakers longer than I have.
Between the two of you, that's two votes for (at least a little) more power then.  Maybe I'll have to try and stretch to the Mystery amp for these...

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/19/20 at 14:39:45

While I don't have Pure Audio Project speakers, I do own a Mystery amp. I don't think you can go wrong if you can stretch the budget for a ZMA. It's truly been a revelation in my system, especially since I had Steve complete the 25th Anniversary modifications.

In addition to the exceptional sound quality, the ZMA provides added power in case you opt for less sensitive speakers in the future. Good luck.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 08/19/20 at 19:20:08

Hey Mastertrash!  Here’s another option.

I put my Voxativ 1.6’s back in the Quintets this morning with the stock Mundorf cap and no resistors.  The efficiency of the Vox’s was too much, and low frequencies were obviously absent.  Since the 1.6’s are full range drivers, I decided to wire them directly to my amp and run them wide open, hoping that the bass would fill in sufficiently.  The bass drivers are still being cut off by the crossover coil.  With Quintets that dropped my total speaker impedance to around 5 ohms which is no big deal for my amp.  If you did this with your Trios, that would put your total speaker impedance at around 3 ohms, which is not an issue for any of Steve’s amps.

How does it sound?  It sounds fabulous!  The detail that i never previously heard with 1.6’s is now there.  The mid-bass and low bass are now also very well balanced.  It sounds like the speakers were designed to be set up this way!  You might want to give this shot.  Oh, and as good as your subs are, maybe try it with no subwoofers at all.......who knows....it might be the perfect combination.

What preamp did you say you were using?  When will you receive your 1.6’s?

And I agree with HK that the Mystery amp would likely sound incredible in combo with your Trios.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
mastertrash
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 08/24/20 at 23:12:20

A few quick updates below...

First, I did finally go for it and found that I could drive the Zen Triode into clipping with my Aesthetix Calypso preamp.  It gets pretty darned loud first, but after a few beers I do run that loud at times.  I can also hear it losing headroom and dynamics as it approaches that volume level and that's the more worrisome part.

I still love the crap out of the Super Zen Triode, but I'm guessing my heart should be set on a Torii or Zen Mystery Amp for my room and listening tastes.

Voxativ Experiments Followup
Sorry for the slow response to your post, Doug.  That sounds like an interesting experiment!  Can you post a photo of how you have the crossovers wired up?  It sounds like you're running straight into the Voxativs and also running the woofers for low-end enforcement.  Is that right?

Sadly my Voxativs are still a couple weeks out I think.  I'm trying hard to wait patiently, but can't wait to experiment when they arrive...

Keith - Any chance I can get you to post a photo or PM me one?  Your crossovers sound epic!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print