Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 21:41:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
One mic recordings (Stereo) (Read 1735 times)
Keith
Verified Member

One mic recordings (Stereo)
08/04/20 at 02:00:17

Found this on Steve Guttenbergs YouTube channel
Minimalist recordings using one stereo mic, similar to Chesky Records

JohnCuniberti.com

Go to the Onemic selection on his website. A variety of music samples all recorded using one stereo mic to record various bands.

Cheers

IP Logged
Keith
Verified Member

Re: One mic recordings (Stereo)
Reply #1 - 08/04/20 at 02:12:58

Alternative. More videos. Onemic on YouTube.

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/04/20 at 05:00:54

Thanks for sharing Keith! Most of those bands are not what I typically listen to, but the recording quality and depth of the sound from one mic is mesmerizing. As is the video quality. Thanks!

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/04/20 at 08:23:07

Keith,

I have been using Zoom's H6 and H4n and their stereo mics for some field recordings as well as some small jazz combo live performances.  As H6 has 4 additional XLR inputs (H4n only 2), I used to also have direct inputs from some of the instruments that I thought might be a bit off-balance in the final mix (two channels from the Rhodes, one channel from the bass, and an extra mic in front of the drums).  So, I would technically use the stereo recording but support any missing instrument with the external mic line.

I have yet to use the additional channels in the final mixes, as these gears can record at some amazing quality resolution and separation.  I can easily use some of the recordings in a professionally released live performance album.  The key is just in the placing.  You gotta find a sweet spot in front of the band where everything is balanced.  The rest is taken care of by the gear!

Cheers,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged