Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:42:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A Question for Woodworkers (Read 3480 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

A Question for Woodworkers
04/27/20 at 14:31:11

I need to make some 45 degree cuts in 5.25 inch tall baseboard. The miter boxes at my local home improvement store are not tall or wide enough to hold the baseboard. Does anybody know where I could obtain a miter box of say 6 inches high or at least 6 inches wide?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: A Question for Woodworkers
Reply #1 - 04/27/20 at 15:38:58

Unless you want to spend big money on one, you might consider getting a compound mitre saw and laying the board flat.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Joey

Reply #2 - 04/27/20 at 20:07:44

You can use a basic handheld circular saw and a speed square to guide the cut. Takes very little skill.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/27/20 at 22:00:34

"You can use a basic handheld circular saw and a speed square to guide the cut. Takes very little skill."

Hey Mike, is that you?   Tongue

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #4 - 04/28/20 at 00:20:35

+1 on compound miter saw.  if you ever plan to cut up many more boards in your life... you will never regret owning one.  I have one... a basic 10 incher.  And wish I'd bought a 12" sliding unit.  If I had, I wouldn't be giving my 10" compound away and shopping for a 12" compound slider now...

A lot of folks will poo-poo products from Harbor Freight, but their products have gotten significantly better over the years.  Their wrenches are as good as any "name brand"... I've had cheater pipes on them and never broke or bent one.  
They have several "grades" of power tools now.  Their best 12" compound miter is branded "Hercules".  I do not own it, but I have examined it.  You can buy it for less than $300 if you sign up for their email ads.  Probably last the occasional use hobbyist the rest of their lives.

Or... if you want a purchase once, for life, for the hobbyist for sure, you can get a Makita LS1219L.  It looks like a normal slider at first glance - but it's not.  The rails don't move - this saw can be placed right up against a wall.

The Delta Cruzer and Bosch Axial Glide have come up with some creative ways to eliminate "rails" for the saw to ride on. Whether they will stand the test of time remains to be seen.

I'm sure everyone who responds to this post, will have a different opinion about what is best... I'm just giving you some "choices" to consider...  

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/28/20 at 13:01:17

Thanks, everyone!

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 04/28/20 at 20:23:01

Gotta admit, I wish that I had bought a compound miter saw many years before I did. And as mentioned above, there are some that defy logic in that they have articulating arms or other methods to make the saw fit up against the wall. In cutting miters, it helps to have a good blade for smooth cut. I think that I have a Diablo blade on the saw now, and couldn't be happier without spending a lot more money.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
puzzlenerd
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 05/22/20 at 04:41:23

You could also consider a handheld jig saw. most have an adjustable fae plate for setting the angle.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print