Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 06:16:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bad time to listen to music (Read 2549 times)
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Bad time to listen to music
04/17/20 at 02:39:37

I started to notice several months ago, that between the evening hours of about 7:30 to 9:00, my system loses a good bit of quality. At first I thought I was listening to bad recordings, but over time I started to notice the trend. Anybody else ever have anything like that happen?  We all know that late night can be a magic time to listen, with very low draw on the grid, but I call my early evening problem time the ‘unhappy hour’.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Bad time to listen to music
Reply #1 - 04/17/20 at 03:09:14

That used to be an issue when I was living in Austin and before I started using power regenerators. Now with the regenerators it really doesn't matter what hour of the day I listen I have consistent sound. And I also now live out in the boonies in comparison to "mid town" and my power at all hours is less distorted.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Xarro
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/20/20 at 15:06:27

never had such an issue to be honest. Does it work ok during day or you don't listen to music during day time?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/21/20 at 21:07:30

I'm usually still unwinding at that hour and it tends not to be the best time for me to listen due to my level of stress.  I don't think all the other electronics in the household being run at that time helps anything.  These days I also get a glitch in the streaming of Tidal due to the kids gaming and other internet activity.

That said, I also bought a re-generator (from Lon) and I get good sound throughout the day.  I did not realize how bad my power was and how much it impacted the music until one day Lonely Raven brought over his P10.  The difference in what I heard and what I saw on the scope was significant.  

Within two weeks I had my first regenerator. I've owned 3 different PS Audio models over the years.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 04/22/20 at 06:07:06

7:30 to 9:00 P.M. depending on location and time zone is in the area of transition from a solar perspective, but from an electrical grid perspective urban areas will have the most noise during that window. This will ensure the audio equipment without provisions will sound it's worst.  What you are hearing is real and the problem is more and more noticeable as your audio gear / room / speakers gets better and better.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print