04/19/24 at 23:47:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Animals and Music (Read 5792 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

Animals and Music
04/07/20 at 04:04:37

Here is a subject I thought might cheer us during this plague year.

Something like fifteen years ago rhododendron bushes were growing outside my bedroom window. With all the dry leaves on the ground, I could hear when an animal walked in there under the bushes. In the evenings after dusk,when I had the classical station on the radio, I would often hear a doe deer walk up to my window and come to a stop. She would quietly stand still for up to an hour so long as violin music was playing. But when the programming changed to piano or orchestra or something else, I would hear her walk away.  This happened all of one spring that year.

I have always found that event rather wonderful, and through the years have enjoyed thinking back on a wild animal's liking for human music, and even having a discriminating taste in what she liked.  

Brian

IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Re: Animals and Music
Reply #1 - 04/07/20 at 04:35:01

There are those wonderful stories of people playing out in the fields for animals, some domesticated. some not.  Always splendid.  I love that you had the chance to share some time with a fellow discerning listener even if she was from the other side of the window Smiley

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/07/20 at 11:13:20

Brian, that is a wonderful story. I'm an avid outdoorsman and experienced most of this country's national parks. The very best memorable times was always sitting with the wild life in their element for hours and just observing. No music needed to obtain a similar euphoria along side nature.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Greg C

Reply #3 - 04/07/20 at 23:28:25

...I find this very interesting....I have often wondered if noise and certain frequency caused animals to relax...I have set many hours photographing wildlife ...sitting and watching ever little move they made but being very quiet ...so animals and sound intrigued me...this winter I house sat for some friends while they were gone....they have two small dogs that I have become very fond of...once in a while I would sit and listen to music and the dogs would come around and do there thing, but seem to always go where I go, or at least check out what I’m doing ....but I found out if I played some light music or Zen’d out relaxation music those dogs would stay right there and not move ...if I got up and went somewhere else in the house they stayed right there, just look at me when I walked by... so I think that something in music calms them

TORII JR
CSP3
ZP3
ZROCK
ZBIT
NAD C658 DAC
PIONEER RT-707
REGA PLANAR 6 / EXACT 2 MM
ERRx
SENNHEISER HD 800S
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/08/20 at 03:11:05

I thank you all for the friendly comments.
It is so nice to have this Decware forum to come to to share these stories.

Brian

IP Logged
Keith
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 04/08/20 at 07:12:57

Dinner and Piano music for Elephants

https://youtu.be/Zy83qRhClzl

When I try the link, it doesn't seem to work. search Paul Barton on YouTube.
he plays classical music for Elephants
Stay healthy

IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #6 - 04/08/20 at 16:48:53

My cats like German reggae. Of course they do expect catnip.

SOTA sapphire turntable with Soundsmith the Voice cartridge
Schiit Jotunheim with phono card
Schiit Gungnir Multibit
1959 Motorola EL84 tube amp
Decware imperials with Altec 811b horns and Alnico drivers
Raspberry pi / Volumio as a streamer
  IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/08/20 at 19:31:09

My yellow lab likes to lie on the floor and listen to jazz but once the hard rock comes on she gets up and walks over to the other room.

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #8 - 04/08/20 at 22:34:45

I like eating a rib eye while listening to music. Does that count?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 04/08/20 at 22:36:55

My dog Fiona just wants to be with me constantly. I can't tell if she enjoys listening to music. . . she's in the sweet spot with me, but I suspect it's because I'm there. . . not because she is a jazz or tube sound fan.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/09/20 at 01:29:57

"I like eating a rib eye while listening to music. Does that count? "

Only counts for your Cholesterol

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/09/20 at 14:12:06

I live in a quiet place in the mountains and have a back deck off the living room. When listening to music, I noticed that a lot of birds would land on the deck and spend many minutes there.

Last year, there was one bird that would hang around for hours at a time. From there it kept trying to get into the house but kept hitting the glass and bouncing off. A few seconds later it would try again. This would go on for several minutes until the bird would eventually leave. This bird would appear again several times and would repeat the above process. I haven't seen the bird again since last summer but it was a reoccurring thing for two or three months.

I have no idea what that was about. Any ideas?

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/09/20 at 16:51:03

Artman, no idea what kind of bird you had but Cardinals and Bluebirds both fight themselves in the glass a lot during mating season.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #13 - 04/10/20 at 00:51:13

I have had the same experience with Robins when I had a mirror in the back yard. Weird... They just don't get it.

Interestingly, I have experimented with bird calls, and like to see the birds trying to figure it out. Last year, I found that a small hand crank music box attracted a couple of rabbits. I would play it at various speeds, and even vary the tempo when playing. maybe I was more amused than the rabbits, Dunno.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print