Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 13:01:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zen on the Road/Outdoors (Read 9163 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Zen on the Road/Outdoors
04/02/20 at 13:34:27

I enjoy music outdoors, particularly at the beach.  I have built a number of boomboxes and such but I have always wondered what it would take to power a zen amp.  This came up on my facebook feed:

https://www.jackery.com/products/explorer-1000-portable-power-station?gclid=EAIa...

I wonder if this could be used to power something outdoors and/or power a small rig indoors with pure battery power?

Could any of you EEs figure out if this thing could run an amp/dac for any reasonable amount of time?

Also, one of my current indoor projects is to build a larger scale outdoor sub.  I've incorporated a couple of smaller 6.5" subs in various boomboxes powered by a small 2.1 chip amp parts express sells.  They are fine, but I wanted to run something with a little more ooomph.  

So I am buying (backorderd) a 10" dayton sub that I'm going to try in a 12"X2' sonotube with baltic end caps with a 3" port.  The 10" is 91db efficient (2.83/1M).  I'll run this separate from a boombox which does not have a sub.  The small subs I have used are less efficient and put out quite a bit of bass so I hoping this will work well.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Zen on the Road/Outdoors
Reply #1 - 04/02/20 at 17:13:39

I would think that you would be able to run for several hours, (maybe 5ish) from that inverter.
Though they really need to do something with that name, I sure wouldn't want to work for Jackery!
Think about it, the amp shouldn't pull that many watts for long periods of time and my DAC runs off of a usb output , so it wouldn't suck much energy.
I've ran my chip amps off of a drill battery for over 8 hours with no problem. You might be on to something here.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/02/20 at 17:26:48

I've been using 13.8V lithium and literally run chip amps for days.  But they are class D efficient.

I've also powered my DAC with 12v batteries.  Currently running my dac with 12V linear power supply.

Dig my sub Donnie.  I think you have used a sonotube, right?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 04/02/20 at 18:18:19

Palo,
Yes I've used Sonotube before.
My 96" long transmission line subs that I had in my garage, 2 of them!
The wave front from them came together about 60 foot in front of my house. Imagine a neighborhood like yours with about 1/3 of the houses but 10 times the Bass! I am sure that I am loved by all.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/22/20 at 15:22:18

Seems you and I have been doing a lot of conversing out here Donnie.  Maybe we just have too much time on our hands or our projects are boring...

My sonotube sub is getting closer to complete.  I need to figure out a grill for it and do a final coat with Duratex.

At first I was not impressed, but I let it play a while and then messed around with the amp settings.  Those 2.1 chip amps with crossover, bass volume, mid/treble volume, and brightness can make just about any speaker sound OK to pretty good.

I gained some lower bass for sure.  Its not overly loud running on just 12V but I imagine I will up that to 24.  In order to get danceable bass, I may have to add a separate tube and maybe go to two amps.

I did acheive the goal of a lightweight "box".  Its very lightweight so carrying it to the beach will be easy.  I'm a little concerned about the tube getting dented but we'll see.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 04/22/20 at 23:01:00

Palo,
I'm going to say two things about your phenomenal build.

1: 20V drill batteries are your friend. Your missing bass will show up.
I've used the same amp that you are using and have pushed 2 12" subs hard with just one battery. Just think of the oomph 2 of them wired in parallel would have.

2: For mobility there is nothing like wheels.
Find a trashed out roller suitcase and steal the wheels and collapsible handle, attach them to your builds.
If deep sand is in the plan, perhaps the wheels from a old lawn cart or something similar.

Maybe I spend too much time thnking about things.

I might need a diet Dr. Pepper.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/22/20 at 23:29:25

Yes, more power!

The drill battery wouldn't fit in the current case, but I may end up building a new amp case.  I have a source for good quality compact batteries that seem to last forever, but not sure what they have around 24V.

I may end up with a five piece system - 2 DIY DM 945s, 2 subs and the amp case.  

Wheels won't work because I am on the beach.  I have a concrete mixing tub that I use like a sled to pull my stuff over the sand to the spot where I set up my fire, table, cooking stuff and of course, LED party lights.  I end up making a couple trips.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/24/20 at 18:57:34

Donnie, I tried the 945s/sub combo on a 24v chip amp I bought for my daughter with a sub out attached to a switching power supply.  The extra juice made a huge difference.

Also, the 945s are a much better match to the sub.  They reach lower and are louder.

I also found some metal grills that fit the 8" on the 945s perfectly so I can add a little protection.  So I think this is going to be my rig.  I still need to build the amp box and get a bigger battery.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #8 - 04/24/20 at 23:06:46

Palo,
I love 945's. My pair of oversized clones always end up back in my garage, they are perfect for my workspace. I've built several speakers to replace them but nothing comes close.
Snappy bass and those HiVi ribbons are so goooood.

Anyway, More Power is always good! Too much is just enough.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/24/20 at 23:44:29

I may end up having to build a battery because the place that builds them pre-built is on hold until the pandemic is over.

I’m going to end up putting several coats of Dura tex on a 945 So they are a little tougher in the outdoors.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/17/20 at 16:53:08

Donnie here is the speaker portion of the system.  945s with about 5 coats of duratex.  And the tube sub.  I had to put the grills on to keep the drivers from getting damaged.  In a homage to Randy I put handles on the 945 clones.  
I haven’t figured out a handle for the sub yet.

It is very loud even with only 12v.  Not sure I need 24v.  

Today I am building the amp box.  The amp shown is parts express.  Not sure the picture is actually posting.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #11 - 05/17/20 at 17:39:52

Palo,

No pics showed up!

Look at the little amp box the kid that works for me made out of a little travel box. It ended up real cool. It has a power switch that has the  little fail-safe cover in it like on a missile launcher. It even has the battery inside it.

My first though for handles on your subs would be some strap banding like they use for shipping holding the handles in place.

IP Logged
Greg C

Reply #12 - 05/17/20 at 23:35:05

....interesting...I was fortunate to work with a bunch of young engineers...it was enjoyable to listen to there ideas...they seem to look at things in different ways, then come up with some good ideas...like this person...cool and functional

Greg

TORII JR
CSP3
ZP3
ZROCK
ZBIT
NAD C658 DAC
PIONEER RT-707
REGA PLANAR 6 / EXACT 2 MM
ERRx
SENNHEISER HD 800S
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/18/20 at 18:26:09

Picture is showing up now.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/24/20 at 16:28:08

Took the rig to the beach   I was surprised by the imaging. https://i.imgur.com/2GRXLrQ.jpg[/img]

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15 - 05/24/20 at 18:22:19

Nothing speaks to me like overkill!

Let them all bring their cute little Bose Buetooth players!
Boom!!
Palomino rules this beach.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print