Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:54:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Who has a Taboo MK IV, a ZBIT and a ZROCK2? (Read 4887 times)
piezoman
Ex Member

Who has a Taboo MK IV, a ZBIT and a ZROCK2?
03/10/20 at 00:09:52

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum. This is a great place! I'm in the midst of completely changing my pathway in the audio hobby, just sold my Rogue Chronus Magnum  pp amp and Martin Logan ESL's......just out my order in for a Taboo Mk IV and  ZBIT since I have a source with XLR (Bryston BDA-2 DAC mated with Bryston BDP-2 player). I also have order a pair of Omega XRS floormounts and customizing them with the 6.5" ALNICO driver.

Im toying with the idea of also ordering a ZR2.

2 questions:
(1) I don't have a preamp. Do I really need one?  Pros & cons?
(2) Does anyone have a Taboo Mk IV, ZBIT and ZR2 as their main system?

I ordered the Taboo to also mate with my Audeze LCD-3F headphones, but will use speaker duty as much as headphone duty.

Thanks for any input!

Brad

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Re: Who has a Taboo MK IV, a ZBIT and a ZROCK2?
Reply #1 - 03/10/20 at 00:53:35

Hi Piezo,
Welcome to the forum.
Answer to question 2 is yes, answer to 1, I have a one and love it, but that’s really your choice, as for the ZR2, in my opinion it’s a must. Opinions will certainly vary, but I hope that helps.
Best
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/10/20 at 00:58:04

Thank you Scott. I appreciate that  :)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/10/20 at 01:18:20

I have a Taboo Mk IV with the 25th Anniversary mods, a ZBIT and a ZROCK2 in one of my two major systems. (I have a pair of SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with 25th Anniversary mods, a ZBIT and a ZROCK2 with Anniversary mods in my other system).

These are great combos of excellent components. Getting the benefit of the balanced output of your source is excellent. The ZROCK2 will allow you to dial in just the right frequency balance and give a bit more body to the sound as well. And the Taboo Mk IV is a fantastic amplifier for both efficient speakers and almost any headphone out there. I used mine with Audeze LCD-2 until those failed on me--a great combination for tonal balance and soundstage as well as dynamics. You'll be very happy with these. And. . . if you can afford it. . . go for the 25th Anniversary mods on either the amp or the ZROCK2 or both. They really are improvements, taking any component to another level.

As for a preamp. . . I have a CSP2+ with the 25th Anniversary mods in the first system mentioned and a ZTPRE AND a CSP3 with the 25th Anniversary mods now in the other system. The preamps make a further improvement, but they are not essential to start with, especially if you only have one source.

I think you've chosen well. Now the wait. . . the hardest part.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/10/20 at 01:27:10

Hiya Lon,

Outstanding. Thank you very kindly!

I can afford the 24th anniversary upgrades and will make it happen.

This will be a whole new world / pathway for me......with the Omegas, a totall different world I have yet to really experience.....much of it is out of necessity on the speakers part of it since I have a small room to work with (12x10 ft.).

I don't have room treatments yet, the determination of which is somewhat confusing by the way. Diffusers or absorbers on which walls.....bass traps? (not sure they're necessary in a room like mine but I could be wrong).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/10/20 at 03:24:05

Can't help you with the room treatment as I don't have it either. My better half won't allow any. I have the HR-1 speakers in both systems, and they are designed to help in rooms with no treatment, so I am not unhappy at all. Nor I think will you be when you have all this together! Good go on the mods, you'll be getting these components "being all they can be" and you can sit back and be blown away.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/10/20 at 03:40:47

Cool Cool Cool

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/10/20 at 18:22:16

Brad, although I’d like to have one, I don’t have a Taboo.
However I do have a ZSTAGE, ZBIT and the ZROCK2 for my Torii Jr. & Rachael amps.
IMO, the ZROCK2 is a game-changer. Highly recommended. Very noticeable improvement in sound – especially if you stream or listen to classic rock.

Also, if you don’t have a lot of sources, both the ZBIT and the ZSTAGE work nicely as a one-source, minimalist preamp.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/10/20 at 18:49:26

Thanks for your input Tommy, that was very helpful.

I don't have a preamp ordered, and I'm not really sure I need one. My room size is 12x10. Maybe I'm wrong? As Lon indicated, it's a matter of preference.

Maybe additional input on this?  ;)

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/10/20 at 20:27:45

I have 25th ZEN, Zbit and ZROCK2 with DNA2 speakers and mostly stream Tidal. I use volume control on my DAC and feel no urgent need for a preamp. It would probably be a nice addition to have one but certainly not a necessity. IMO

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/10/20 at 20:45:05

thanks laz  8-)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print