Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:40:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help Request: Getting Started w/ Tube Amp Primer? (Read 5437 times)
BillW
Verified Member

Help Request: Getting Started w/ Tube Amp Primer?
02/07/20 at 15:30:03

Full disclosure, I have only searched a little on the site. I have a new amp on order and I’m getting closer and closer on the waiting list!

Is there is good  “getting started using tube amplifiers” primer around that will help me get up to speed on the do’s and don’ts So I don’t blow anything apart, fry things or myself or loved ones.  :o

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Help Request: Getting Started w/ Tube Amp Primer?
Reply #1 - 02/07/20 at 15:58:51

There probably is, but I'll give you some off the top of my head.

#1 always make sure speakers are connected. Tubes need to be connected to something. Amp and/or tube damage could result in trying to drive an open circuit.

#2 Tubes are analog, give them time to warm up, time to cool off, and they get HOT. Handle with care, try not to swap them when hot (they break easier when hot), don't forget the amp on for days on end, etc. I enjoy the ritual of coming home from work, powering the amp on, going to change out of my work clothes, and it's warmed up by the time I'm in my comfy clothes. And the sound is even better after warming up even more with actual music!

#3 Have a spare set of tubes; basically for diagnostic purposes. If you notice something not right, a crackle in one speaker, volume difference left to right, no sound etc - you can swap in your spare set to help diagnose if it's a tube issue or something else. It's also nice to help you gauge how tired your tubes are. Tubes age slowly, so much so you probably won't notice when they are "getting tired" and need replacing; so after 6 months, pop in your spare set and see if the sound is "holy crap" different or marginally different, or no difference at all. When you get that "holy crap this is better" then you know for sure it's time to replace tubes...don't wait for them to to die like an old lightbulb (which could damage your amp).

#4 Again, tubes are analog, and made by hand in China or Russia (usually). Expect changes, random dead tubes, aging at different rates, sounding different as they age etc.

Lastly, just enjoy listening! A lot of Transistor guys will poo poo all of the above because "it's too fiddly", or "not accurate", or "too much distortion" or some such... but we wouldn't be doing all this if it wasn't worth it. The sound is truly amazing, sometimes transcending, so really enjoy the music and don't worry about the fiddly bits too much. Just be safe, buy good tubes, replace them when needed, enjoy the music.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/07/20 at 17:46:39

Don't forget to carefully read the manual - lots of helpful information there.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/07/20 at 23:09:41

Good advice so far, I can only add be patient, my system gets used almost every day and now going towards 2 years still gets better to me. I’m pretty sure most of it is my own ears refining as opposed to equipment breaking, but it is what it is and it’s an amazing transformation.
Enjoy,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #4 - 02/08/20 at 02:53:31

Quote:
Handle with care, try not to swap them when hot (they break easier when hot) Quote:

LR, I've read this advice in several places on the Internet.  Not that I doubt the truth in this, but I wonder if this is more tube folklore than data driven fact.  Tubes have historically been used in fighter jets and ballistic missile systems with extreme vibration and G-forces.  Hard to believe pulling a tube from an amp while it is hot would lead to vibration-based failure.  Maybe it is just military tubes that can endure "hot handling" where consumer tubes are weaker in construction.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 02/08/20 at 03:10:57

The reason that the tubes break easier when hot is because you inevitably drop the tube because it scalds you. It has nothing to do with the physical properties of the tube but more about the amount of pain that you can endure!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #6 - 02/08/20 at 05:39:40

Now that, makes perfect sense!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/08/20 at 21:15:51

I am guilty of swapping out hot input tubes when tube rolling.

RULE: Never use your bare hands when handling hot tubes. Use a cloth or paper towel between the tube and your skin.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/09/20 at 01:18:49

Wanting to hear direct comparisons, in my Toriis, Zstage and CSP3, I got in the habit of pulling hot tubes years ago. I cut off the amp, grab them with a nice rag, pull them very carefully, and lay them on a wool rug under my cabinet to cool slowly and more evenly. I can't say if this is recommended or not, but have not noticed obvious  issues with this method.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 02/11/20 at 16:05:44

I agree with Donnie on the scalding thing, that's usually my method of retiring tubes...the "hot drop".

As for military applications, there is a big difference between a tube mounted in a rubber isolated tube socket in a jet, and you squeezing and/or bumping the hot glass envelope while it's at operating temperature. In a military application nothing is touching/bumping the glass...and if it is, you have bigger problems to worry about.

Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #10 - 02/11/20 at 16:18:19

Ok, the glass envelope is the point of fragility for which that advice applies.  I was assuming it had something to do with the glowing hot metal of the tube innards.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 02/11/20 at 16:44:02

Nah, the internal structures are spot welded together, and the military grade tubes usually have more mica spacers to keep them from rattling on the inside. Military tubes are often shorter, thicker glass, etc to help harden them.

Now compare that to the Chinese tubes of today....

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #12 - 02/13/20 at 21:29:50

I have a pair of heavy white cotton jersey gloves I keep on the rack beside my amps... just for the purpose of "hot swapping".  But you still get to wait for the new tubes you swap in, to reach "thermal stability" before they will sound their best.

Another tip on the topic of faulty tube detection and "heat" - get yourself an infrared heat thermometer.  I had one of a set of four 6CA7's go bad in my Torii back when I was a tube noob.  I don't remember what caused me to think to shoot them with the infrared thermometer, curiosity I suppose, but "one" of them was about 1/2 the temperature of the other three - guess what - that was the bad tube.
Also, if memory serves, these tubes run in the 240-250 degrees Fahrenheit range in my Torii.  So NO... don't grab them with your bare fingers before they cool off.

Also... typically small signal tubes, like preamp tubes, 6DJ8's, 12AX7's, etc. don't get nearly as hot as power output tubes.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print