Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 04:23:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Onkyo recover not playing through my amp (Read 2972 times)
Alex
Seasoned Member

Onkyo recover not playing through my amp
12/30/19 at 02:05:54

Just bought an Onkyo receiver and hooked it up to my decware amp but I’m not getting any sound from the speakers. I feel like there’s an issue with the way I’m hooking up my amp to my receiver. The amp works when I use my laptop as the source so I know it’s not the amp. When I hook my speakers up to the receiver, it plays.  The only time I’m not getting sound is when I hook the amp up to the “line out” of the receiver. Oh and I’m using the Bluetooth from my cell phone to stream music to the receiver, to the amp. I’ve also switched inputs on the amp to make sure I’ve selected the right source. And I did pair the Bluetooth of my cell with the receiver.

Any suggestions anyone?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Onkyo recover not playing through my amp
Reply #1 - 12/30/19 at 02:29:34

Is the "line out" of the receiver a "preamp out" and you are connecting to to the inputs of the Zen amp with RCA interconnects? If so it should work with the receiver controlling the volume, so make sure that the volume is raised on the receiver.

If the "line out" is a tape loop line out and you have that output connected to the input of the Zen amp with a pair of RCA interconnects, that would likely be at full volume so you may have to control the volume from the Zen amp. It should work.

Good luck, I hope you can get it to work as you wish.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 12/30/19 at 03:18:40

What model of receiver is it?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/30/19 at 11:23:54

Lon, I'm running the wires from an input that reads, "Zone 2 line out." It has a white input  for Left and on the bottom of that is a Right with a red input. So it doesn't say "preamp" out per se. However, new to those inputs is an input for the Subwoofer that says ,"Pre Out"

Donnie, the model is the following: TX-NR686.

Thank you for your help folks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 12/30/19 at 12:51:46

Okay, does look as if those are designed to output a signal the Decware amp should use. . . . Is there a way for you to select "Zone 2" as it seems that what you are playing must not be "Zone 2" signal.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 12/30/19 at 13:06:43

I looked up your manual. On page 37 this is addressed and says:

To output audio from an externally connected AV component to ZONE 2, use either a digital coaxial cable, digital optical cable or analog audio cable for connection. Also, the audio from externally connected AV components can be output to ZONE 2 only when the audio is analog or 2ch PCM signal. When the AV component is connected to this unit with a digital coaxial cable or digital optical cable, change the audio output of the AV component to the PCM output.

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/31/19 at 19:17:24

So I reached out to an expert on receivers and he stated the following "THe TXNR686 has no pre outs for the front 2 channels or any of the other channels it can process. As such, you cannot use it as a processor and use external amplification to power the speakers with.

The zone 2 pre outs are limited as to what sources they can access and not all sources are accessible to the receiver's secondary audio zone. Also note that you'd have to select a source for the second zpne independantly of the main zone. The second zone doesn't automatically set itself to the same source as the main room."

Unless I am wrong, it seems like he's saying I cant use an external amp to power my speakers.
If I can use zone 2, I have to list the Bluetooth as the source, that's if zone 2 allows the Bluetooth to be utilized as a source.

Wow, I miss the days things were simple....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print