Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 14:48:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cryogenically Treat an Entire Amp? (Read 715 times)
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Cryogenically Treat an Entire Amp?
11/30/19 at 03:15:16

My brother and I were talking about tubes today and cryo treating came up.

Eventually we asked what cryo treating an amp would do, if anything.

Has anyone done so? Is there anything about the Decware amps that might cause an issue if you were to cryo treat them?

Anyone have experience with cryo tubes?

300below is in Decatur IL, ~100 miles from Peoria IL.  Would it be worth having Steve send my Torii there for treatment before shipping it to me?

If Steve gives it his blessing I would be willing to be a guinea pig.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Cryogenically Treat an Entire Amp?
Reply #1 - 11/30/19 at 04:31:03

I happen to live just outside of Decatur and just so happen to know all about 300 Below.
They are con artists, Charlatans.
Don't you think that if it worked, someone would have already offered it?
Think about it, the first thing that we do is to warm our equipment up, changing the molecular structure.
I personally, have ran tests on cutting tools that have been cryo treated with terrible results.
Quackery at best.
I truly feel that strongly about it.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/30/19 at 12:41:03

Bummer you had such a bad experience.

Jupiter cryo treats some of their capacitors. Decware products use them. So I'm wondering if cryo treating other components, example the transformers, would that make a difference too?

Why does Jupiter cryo them?

Reading Steve's development notes of various products, he doesn't seem like someone who will put up with BS. Why do people upgrade to the cryo caps if they don't sound better?

I did read the tube stores test with cryo'd tubes any they couldn't tell a difference.

Anyone else with cryo experience?

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 11/30/19 at 14:36:55

My only experience is with cryogenic treated rotors for racecars.  A lot of my friends use them once they start tracking their cars since you are constantly subjecting them to extreme on and off heat cycles.  According to them, the rotors seem to hold up better in the long haul.  

With what you are looking to do, I don’t think it would add the benefit you are seeking.   I know a lot of speaker cable companies are now boasting cryogenic treated cables, but I personally wouldn’t seek out those cables for the claims that they make. Mind you I have never done A/B comparisons, but I would refuse to pay extra for that treatment in that application.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #4 - 12/03/19 at 23:35:37

I've researched cryo treating vacuum tubes a bit.  About the only that I could find that made any sense, is that deep-freezing tubes tends to weed out early failures, i.e. ones with weak solder joints, etc.  
Here is a somewhat objective article on cryo treated tubes:
https://blog.thetubestore.com/cryo-tube-controversy-the-chilling-truth/

In the case of caps, the Jupiter caps in my Torii for example, I couldn't say.

NASA did some research on how different types of capacitors performed at cryogenic temperatures...
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19980137723.pdf
and noted that some types fail to perform at extremely low temperatures, but returned to their normal functioning specs at room temperature.

Most materials contract at extreme cold temperatures.   A contraction of the components of a capacitor would alter its operating parameters.  I would expect the operating value of a capacitor to “change” at cryogenic temperatures.  Does it return to its rated values when it goes back to room temperature?  Not sure that altering its rated operating values by cryo treatment would be a desirable effect, unless it returns to its stated values at normal operating temperatures.

Heating and then cooling, at varying rates, changes the temper of metal.  So how fast the capacitor was brought to cryogenic temperature and how fast it was brought back to normal temperature could have some effect on the hardness of the metal parts.  Does that make it sound better or even different?  Make it last longer?  I for one – don’t know.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 12/04/19 at 16:59:52

I've used Cryo treated car parts and gun parts in the past, and improvements have been documented by myself and others. I've known many old school brass players that don't want to take their couple hundred year old instruments on tour, who were very happy with the results of cryo treating more modern instruments for a richer sound. Same with drummers who get more life and feel they get better sound out of cymbals cryo treated (I'm talking guys that have their drum sticks pitch matched!).

Cryo treating does have it's benefits, but I'm skeptical when it comes to tubes or whole amps. I can't even fathom how the glass envelope handles such low temperatures without issues or causing a vacuum leak.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/04/19 at 19:14:07

The only AB comparisons I have done were on power tubes, some from Ron and Cryoset, and some non-cryo with similar test scores. The ones I recall were JJ 6CA7s and Tungsol 6L6Gs. Both tests, the cryo treated tubes sounded a little clearer and quieter, also a bit more dynamic. The others sounded softer, a little fuzzier, not necessarily bad to me, technically not as competent sounding though. I recall preferring the cryo at those times. From memory, it was one of those subtler things that was good enough to prefer, and that can add up when many subtler things together become not subtle.

Also, at some point I got Ron to cryo a bunch of my tubes. He had said folks had had good results with VRs in Decware which got me going, and since I was mailing some, I also sent some NOS inputs. Of those inputs, several individual tubes failed within a short enough time for me to suspect the cyro process had weakened weaknesses in the tubes further. The ones that did not fail consistently had that cryo sound...cleaner resolution.

I ran into issues with Ron's new Power tube Quads also, some tubes worse than others, but over years I had one of a quad fail 4-5 times I guess...odd to me! Ron reluctantly covered it, and the replacements all worked, but he still felt it was my amp and some bias issues, where I suspected it was more cryoing weakening weak connections. This was my speculation anyway.

I have a few audio developer friends who often cryo, wire, connectors, and other amp or DAC parts, and swear by the improvements. Having talked a lot with one of them about subtle sound, I have every reason to completely trust his judgements. But as he often says, if it is not there to begin with, or anything in the chain damages it, is not there to hear, making changes show less, or not at all.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/05/19 at 01:50:15

Thanks for the input.

Looks like transformers might not like getting cryo'd. I have no need to mess with cryoing the entire amp. My curiosity has been quenched on that.

Cryo tubes and cables? Still on the table.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print