Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 09:19:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Radial ERR versus ERRx (Read 9929 times)
Steve Harman
Verified Member

Radial ERR versus ERRx
10/31/19 at 11:39:12

Hi,

Long time fan of the Radial ERR speakers, I've changed most items in my system over the years but never the speakers.

However I've had them for the best part of 10 years and and am getting tempted by the ERRx.  

It would be hard for me to hear a pair of ERRx being based in the UK, so I wondered if anyone has been able to hear both models (or perhaps Steve could comment?) and describe the sonic differences / improvements the ERRx bring over the ERR ?

Many thanks,

Steve

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: Radial ERR versus ERRx
Reply #1 - 10/31/19 at 13:40:54

Steve or Bob would be able to give you the best answer on comparison, but I’ll offer up a few thoughts.

My ERR speakers were built the last year before the ERRx Speakers were introduced.  At last year’s  Decfest, Bob indicated to me the biggest design difference made was the side posts and the hard top.  This was due to the complexity of the shipping the ERR speakers with the removable grills. Sonically my speakers and the 1st generation ERRx are similar, but maybe the 2019 models are big upgrade.  I am not sure.  

I was speaking with a ERR owner at Decfest and he changed out the stock Clarity caps with a fairly nice improvement.  Maybe trying the cap upgrade would be worth it, and keep you happy for a few more years.  I have yet to try this on my speakers, but one day I’ll get around to doing. It.  Here is the cap upgrade notes I obtained from the forum member....

Mundorf supreme silver gold oil 3.0 Mf
Bypassed with a Arizona capacitor
(Capacitor “Red Cactus” .3 mf)
Bypassed with Duelund .01 bypass capacitor (silver in oil)

[Buy at parts connexion]

According to Bob [aka Zygi] the values may be a little low but Do not go over a 3.9 on the total value.

Also....I heard the HR-1 speakers at Decfest being fed  by the 25th Anniversary Zen amp, and it was just unbelievable.  If you have the resources, I would save up and just pull the trigger on the HR-1 speakers, and you would be done for ever, IMHO.   Its like going from a Chevy Leaf to a Corvette.  

I really enjoy the sound of the Radial speakers, and how they fill my large room with vaulted ceilings.  So if the sound of the radial speakers is for you, then the sound HR-1’s will put you in that happy place without ever looking back.

Wait to hear from Lon....he loves his HR-1 speakers, and will be able to give you great insight to the ERR vs. HR-1 comparison, since I believe he has had both.

I hope this helps.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 10/31/19 at 14:56:36

I have never heard the ERRx, would like to one day but probably won't for some time.

I have not used my ERR speakers for really four and a half years since I moved them from my Dad's place and he and I both moved into different quarters. I like them a lot. I did the caps upgrade and I played around with different resistors and I got really great atmospheric sound in a good room (my Dad's place had the best room for a stereo system I've ever been in, so I enjoyed listening to them there as I took care of my parents a few years).

I listen to both pairs of my HR-1 now though, and the ERR stand unconnected in a corner. The ERR are excellent for classical and small ensemble jazz. I mostly live in that musical zone so they do suit me--they have the biggest soundstage I've ever had in a home and a sweet and polite nature when fed good tunes. The HR-1 have a denser, deeper sound and are noticeably more efficient. I can put anything through them and really enjoy them. I would suggest rather than aiming at the ERRx (I know the price is more attractive!) saving up for the HR-1. And in the meantime going Mundorf with the speakers you have. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Harman
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 11/04/19 at 09:04:36

Many thanks to you both!

Lon, what would you recommend I try (brand & values?) for changing my stock capacitors and resistors?

Based on the feedback here, I think I'll stick with the ERRs that I have and dream of owning some HR-1s one day.  ;-)

Kind regards,

Steve

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 11/04/19 at 11:29:51

Well, I have settled on the Mundorf 3.0 cap mentioned above, and Mundorf metal resistors, 10 ohm 36R. I will note that I use much higher value resistors than others, most use 1R to 3R or so, I'm always dialing back treble, I seem to hear more of it or be more sensitive to it than others. Mundorf Supreme resistors are also very good, I have used them in the past with great success.

Since "retiring" the ERR I have been using Duelund Graphite resistors in the HR-1 and they are very good.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Harman
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 11/05/19 at 16:45:27

Mny thanks Lon, I'm going to experiment!

Steve

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/23/19 at 17:51:48

Lon (or others) - I note that in reply 2, the HR-1 is indicated to be more efficient.  On the product pages, it looks like the ERRx has a sensitivity of 93 db, while the HR-1 has a slightly lower sensitivity of 92.5 db.  

I am wondering if the Decware SE84 amplifiers put out more power to the HR-1 speakers due to the lower impedance (4 ohms rather than 8 ohms for the ERRx).

I ask because my feeling is that a 2-watt decware amp seems like it would be underpowered for a sensitivity of 92.5 db, but the product pages recommend a minimum power of 2 watts to drive the HR-1s, but a minimum of 4 watts to drive the ERRx.

Thanks for any replies.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 11/23/19 at 18:01:48

I think you might be right about the current ERRx, and your guess may be correct.

I believe the ERR that I have are less efficient than the ERRx, and the HR-1 pairs I have are slightly more efficient than the ERR I have.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/23/19 at 18:13:16

Thanks for the reply, Lon.  

While I have been resisting the idea that the HR-1s may be the right speaker choice for me (due to cost), I seem to be coming to that conclusion.  I like the omni-directional nature (which can help if you do not have room treatments), the bass extension, the manageable weight of the speaker.  I am not sure that combination is really available in other speakers that can be paired with a 2-watt amp.

Thanks again.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 11/23/19 at 19:11:25

I think that with the two watt amps room size is an important factor. Two wats just barely "got 'er done" in my large living room/dining room area downstairs. The extra watt or so the Monoblocks give out (and the perceived extra power the mods bring) gave me the headroom I wanted and did more than just "get 'er done." And the Taboo's four watts or so give me even more power in the larger space.

So the HR-1 does work with the two watt amps. . . but a smaller to medium size space will be a more comfortable fit. I almost saved up for the DNA2 when I was getting the Monoblocks with the mods, but I was relieved the HR-1s have worked well.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/23/19 at 22:13:59

Thanks for the input and insights, Lon.  I have an open floor plan, so that in some directions there is a long ways to a wall.  On the other hand, I typically do not listen at very high levels.

I am still thinking through getting these speakers, and I do see the "risk" of driving these speakers with two watts.  My thought is that if two watts are not enough, then I get a second amp, and use them as 6-watt per channel monoblocks.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #11 - 11/23/19 at 22:26:45

Just a thought, but if you take your basic SEUFO, which costs about $1000 bucks, you could strap it into mono and get 6 watts out of that amp. You would need to then buy two of them, costing you about 2 grand.  BUT....there is a big difference between the regular 2 watt Zen amp, Lon’s monoblocks, and the SEUFO 25th.  

If you are hooked on the SET sound...then you could just buy the Rachel rated at 6 watts.  Not sure what the right approach is, but I think to get the most of of 2 watt zen amp with an ERRx, you would be best served with the CSP 25th preamp.  

I currently push my Err’s with a sold state amp, so I am not struggling for power, but will be ordering up the 25th Anniversary Zen amp sometime next year.  For my my room size and listening levels, I think I will be fine  with the 25th Anniversary Zen.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 11/23/19 at 22:45:41

Don't neglect considering the Taboo Mk IV if you want more headroom than the SE84UFO or SE84UFO2. The Taboo Mk IV powers one of my pairs of HR-1s and fills my 36' x 24' downstairs area with headroom to spare. It sounds very much like the 2 watt Zens with more "balls" and you get headphone playback and Lucid Mode is an interesting option to experiment with for both speakers and headphones. Also the dual volume controls is a very useful feature and easy to "dial in." I've had my Taboo Mk IV (which I had the mods done to) in both systems and really enjoy it in each. It has a different "character" than my modded Monoblocks, but I wouldn't call it inferior, it's more "manly" and very authoritative.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 11/24/19 at 02:50:10

Thank you, Dominick and Lon.

Dom - I am thinking of your suggestion of strapping a two-watt Zen amp into mono and getting a second amp as my "backup plan."  I noted in your earlier email that you have vaulted ceilings - I have the same.  Glad the radial speakers work well for you in that room!

Lon - Thanks for the amp suggestion, with some more power - I will take a look at it.  It is still striking to me that, with the low power & high speaker sensitivity approach, even 1 or 2 additional watts can make a significant difference.

Thanks for the input - this forum is a great resource for Decware!

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 11/24/19 at 19:29:31

Dominick - Also thank you for the pre-amp suggestions, as it does look like the SE34I.5 may work best with a pre-amp.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #15 - 11/26/19 at 00:15:16

I have had my own personal Torii hooked to the HR-1's at Decware during Zenfest.  And of course, have heard the SE84's on them also.  IMO and experience, 2 watts is not enough for HR-1's, nor the ERR/x's either.  But you might get by, in a small room, depending on your listening preferences and how much "gain" you have in front of the amp.  But I'm almost certain you will need a preamp with some nice gain.

You can also bridge the SE84's to mono for about 6 watts - which I have also heard at Zenfest on numerous speakers - this was a pretty good match up to my ears.

Lon... if you want to part with your ERR's - I have a good friend who might be interested... if they wouldn't have to be packed and shipped 2,000 miles at a cost of $500 or more...  
Smiley

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 11/26/19 at 00:39:16

maddog07 wrote on 11/26/19 at 00:15:16:
Lon... if you want to part with your ERR's - I have a good friend who might be interested... if they wouldn't have to be packed and shipped 2,000 miles at a cost of $500 or more...  
Smiley

Yes, I am not at this time willing to pack and ship the ERR. would only cost about a quarter or third of that 500 dollars, but the last time that HR-1s were shipped to me one of them was damaged, and you know how well those MFs are packed by Bob. . .  I don't have full original packing material and I just don't want to risk anything happening to them.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 11/26/19 at 00:45:02

maddog07 wrote on 11/26/19 at 00:15:16:
IMO and experience, 2 watts is not enough for HR-1's, nor the ERR/x's either.  But you might get by, in a small room, depending on your listening preferences and how much "gain" you have in front of the amp.  But I'm almost certain you will need a preamp with some nice gain.

I've had really decent sound with the only 2 watt Zen amp I have had this decade, a Zen B that was modded by Eddie Vaughn, and driven by a CSP2 preamp. This was 20th Century Decware tech and in my big living/dining room I got just enough output to "Rock out." In a smaller room, definitely would be some headroom. So it does depend on room size but with a preamp with gain you can get some real output. It surprised me how much. You're right, when in more than a near-field small room situation a good preamp makes it happen.

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 11/26/19 at 18:17:38

Tone-Deaf, I’ll throw this out there is if might be useful to you.

I have a 40x30 open loft space with 20 foot ceilings.
My ERRxs fill that space nicely with a massive soundstage. I can be anywhere in that space and be getting great sound.
I have two Decware amps for driving them: The 6wpc Rachael, and the 20wpc Torii Jr. I use a ZStage and/or ZBit with them.
The Rachael is fine for low to moderate listening levels  – which is 95% of my listening. It’s even fine up to lower loud levels.
However, there are times when a favorite song comes on, and I’ve cranked it up and the Rachael starts running out of gas – the sound gets a little crunchy.
The Torii Jr – on the other hand - has plenty of headroom and never runs out of power.
They both sound great with the ERRxs, but when I play them back-to-back, I prefer the Tori Jr. It is just a bit more lively - the music seems to have more energy.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 11/28/19 at 01:51:38

Maddog7 and Tommy - thanks for the replies and the helpful info.

So where I am going is to get the HR-1s, and drive them with an SE34I.5.  I think the extra watts might come in handy, and give my a little bit of a safety margin.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print