Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 14:14:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help needed - Damaged ZP3 (Read 5538 times)
Robert Hart
Verified Member

Help needed - Damaged ZP3
10/02/19 at 12:29:13

I hope this is the right place.
I recently sold my ZP3 out of desperation. I shipped it UPS and insured it. It arrived damaged, the corner of the transformer was hit so hard it was nearly ripped from the chassis! When my buyer sent me the pictures, I was so upset for him I refunded his money and asked that he send it to Decware for repair. At the same time, I’ve tried to start a claim with UPS and this process is infuriating! No progress yet.

1. Should I have issued a full refund like I did?
2. Is the damage fixable?
3. If you were the buyer, how would you want this handled?

I know I made a mistake selling it.
I now know UPS was s mistake.
The buyer won’t respond to me.
I’m out the money, I don’t have the amp.
What a mess.

I would include photos but since do t see that possibility. I’m new here.

What should I do?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Help needed - Damaged ZP3
Reply #1 - 10/02/19 at 13:35:04

Hi Robert:

I am really sorry to hear about another UPS screw up. The word "Fragile" to these people often means drop it harder.

Did your buyer send the unit to Decware? You should have conditioned the refund on receipt by Decware. I'm sure they can fix it.

I've never had to make a damage claim but I've read horror stories here about their handling of same.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Robert Hart
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/02/19 at 13:59:22

This all went down last night so there hasn’t been time to do much. Not hearing from him after the pictures has me a bit panicked on top of the surprising grief I feel:
1. Because I literally waited for years to buy a Decware piece
2. The circumstances that forced me to sell it ( my stereo was the only thing of value I have)
3. Imagining the anger and disappointment my buyer must feel
4. The prospect that the Preamp is totaled and I’m simply out over a grand at a time I desperately need it.

In the end, I hope I’m doing right by the buyer. I’m doing what I would want done. I’ll never use UPS again. Simply getting the claim process started is criminally difficult. In the end, I would happily own this repaired piece if that’s possible.

080BC465-A23D-4B0D-879A-497AF1D1F209.jpeg
  IP Logged
Robert Hart
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 10/02/19 at 14:00:38

More pics

11A756AB-3419-483A-B67B-B05DD7C7CBEE.jpeg
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/02/19 at 14:10:27

I'm not even seeing how there would be a problem functionally. Just a rat bite on the side of the transformer. Could be painted over. The transformers often bend during transit. Bend them back.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Robert Hart
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 10/02/19 at 14:24:59

One more

D3E999D3-9E24-4503-A78F-518B23CF33CC.jpeg
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/02/19 at 15:25:54

That can be bent back into shape. If not the housing could be replaced.

55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 10/02/19 at 15:37:49

I'm in general agreement with cousin Jim. Hopefully you'll hear from the buyer, he'll ship to Decware and this can be straightened out. Sorry to hear of your financial straits, hope they can be resolved soon.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #8 - 10/02/19 at 23:53:56

Wow, that really got dropped!

I thin you did right by the buyer, and I commend you for that. Hopefully he follows through and gets it shipped out to Decware and you don't get screwed in the process.

All that said, I'm betting the ZP3 may still work! These amps are point to point wired and built for a lifetime of service. Best to have it checked out out though, for safety sake.

Man I hope the whole UPS thing gets easier for you.

Welcome to the forum by the way, sorry to see it's not under better circumstances

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Robert Hart
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 10/03/19 at 00:08:01

It’s hard to say how this will play out. The buyer contacted me with another photo. It shows a hole the size of a dime through everything! Like a spear gun he said, straight down through the box. UPS wants it picked up and sent to the UPS store I sent it from and they will determine the claim status?!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/03/19 at 01:14:27

The UPS Store will probably be in full CYA mode. It will be a long haul but keep pursuing the damage claim

55   IP Logged
Robert Hart
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 02/11/20 at 19:08:40

I eventually got the ZP3 back and it works perfectly. Only cosmetic damage to the transformer. UPS refused to pay unless I had a written repair estimate from the manufacturer. Considering shipping and repair would cost $200 plus, I decided to just use it and learn a lesson. I love this phono stage, it’s feeding a CM3 and I couldn’t ask for more. I’ll be using another shipper from now on, lesson learned.

F598AE41-4018-4D2A-8BD7-075AA0D960B4.jpeg
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #12 - 02/12/20 at 03:15:33

As you can see the tabs are quite flexible on that transformer.  We would have removed it and resent the tabs straight and re-installed it.  Since you are going to keep it, please know that no additional harm is likely to come from your bending it back to a more straight appearance.  It is done by holding the bare unit without tubes to your chest and pulling the transformer down towards the floor and or holding it to your chest and pulling the transformer up towards you.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 02/13/20 at 22:35:28

LOL, that sounds like the voice of experience there.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print