Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 16:50:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Static noise Taboo MKIII (Read 4609 times)
Yoshimitsu
Verified Member

Static noise Taboo MKIII
06/03/19 at 18:05:41

Hey

I just got my hands on the Taboo MKIII which i bnought 2nd hand.

Music plays fine but a buzzing/brrrrr noise comes through my headphones, even when no music is playing.

The amp is connected to my Asus Xonar Essence STX RCA outputs, basically i am using my PC's soundcard as a DAC.

I don't have any fancy audio cables yet and my pc is very noisy but i highly doubt that's the cause.

What i noticed is, that the biggest tube has only 5 pins while the socket is for 8 pins, not sure if that plays a role. The tube is also different shape than the amp usually uses. The only thing that is writte on the tube is RCA Electron Tube.

Also the amp looks very different from images all across the internet.

here is an image link to my headphone (can't post images or links):

https:  //   imgur.   com/a/CaV3B8G

Any suggestions?

Best regards

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Static noise Taboo MKIII
Reply #1 - 06/03/19 at 19:43:50

Hello Yoshi,

I think this is a tricky question to answer.

1st, I don't think this is a Decware amp. At least it is not like Decware Taboo MKIIIs I know of. And it does not look like Steve's aesthetic style either, so I am guessing not some prototype either....I suppose it is possible it could be someone's attempt to copy one, but it is different in layout, connectors, transformer appearance, wooden base......

A little complicated, in that we don't know how the amp is made, or if something got messed up in shipping. There could be internal issues contributing to  noise. Also a buzz/hum can come from defective or noisy tubes, ground loops, possibly your sound card (?), computer EMF/RF interference due to being too close to the computer electronics and wifi, computer noise getting into unshielded interconnects.....and more. You can get amp hum from a noisy AC outlet/circuit...or from DC offset...lots of possible causes.

The big tube looks like it could be a RCA 5U4GB and many have 5 pins, many other 5U4Gs having 4 for an 8 pin socket, so not necessarily a worry there. If it is a good tube, and a 5U4G, it should be fine with a Taboo layout (if all else is like the Taboo design electronically). Rectifiers and input tubes in particular can be noisy and still work fine though.

Bringing up the question, how noisy is it?

Have you used this computer, sound card and cables for other amps without noise?

Is it in both channels?

Does it change if you move the amp further from your computer?

Do you have different interconnects you can try to see if that might be the problem?

If it were a Taboo, and you can't solve it with forum help, you could call Steve as a last resort, but I can't really come up with reasons to imagine that it is a Decware amp...If I am wrong, I hope someone will clarify that! But if i am right, and it was billed as a Decware Taboo MKIII, that would be pretty suspect, casting questions on the character of the seller and quality.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Yoshimitsu
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 06/03/19 at 22:35:24

Hey

Thanks a lot for your answer.

i recorded the noise, which weirdly is not the same anymore as when i opened this thread. The noise now has sort of "beeps" to it, i recorded it with my phone.

I put the amp and pc volume to maximum and put my phone on my headphones, i did the same also with a microphone.

IP Logged
Yoshimitsu
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/03/19 at 22:39:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3REav2esmZU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TPO0FDAoaU

I dont hear any noise when my headphones are plugged in to the amp, but i disconnect the RCA cables.

I tried another amplifier an old Technics and no static noise, with the same cables.

When i plug in my headphones in to my soundcard and i enable SVN (whatever that is) there is also some noise coming.

I highly doubt that someone tried to remake Steve's amp, the black surface is the same, the headphone jacks seem the same too.

Also these golden things you can unscrew are the same.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 06/03/19 at 23:01:18

Have you tried another source for the amp? Do you get the same sound when you plug your phone into it?
Truthfully, listening to the videos it sounds like computer noise to me. An external DAC would probably fix it.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/04/19 at 02:16:58

I have never heard this sort of sound with audio, but like Donnie suggests, it sounds like it could be some weird computer interference to me too.

"I don't hear any noise when my headphones are plugged in to the amp, but i disconnect the RCA cables."

If the amp is on, in this same proximity to the computer as before, and turned up, this seems to indicate it is not the amp, leaving interconnect cables, or sound card.

"I tried another amplifier an old Technics and no static noise, with the same cables."

That I don't understand.

"When i plug in my headphones in to my soundcard and i enable SVN (whatever that is) there is also some noise coming."

Is this with both amps?

Was the Technics set up exactly like the new amp was, proximity to the computer, IC cables, power cable, all settings the same....

"I highly doubt that someone tried to remake Steve's amp, the black surface is the same, the headphone jacks seem the same too."

"Also these golden things you can unscrew are the same."

That the amp plate is the same color and similar texture, or that the same looking headphone jacks were used, does not mean a whole lot. If you look and compare very carefully - at the size proportions, screw placement, tube placement distances, the binding posts used (those golden things you can turn for speaker hookup), the transformers used, the way the base in made and shaped, these are are all different from Steve's standard makes....not like Steve's typical design for this platform. This is definitely not a stock built Taboo MKIII, the last model. As far as I can recall, typically, when Steve makes amp changes, it seems he uses the same, or similar platform he has been using for an amp, and when he makes new setups, there is a style that is recognizable. Though I suppose possible, this just does not look like his style to me. My guess is that these are all signs Steve did not build it.

This does not necessarily mean the amp does not have good audio potential, just not likely Decware by my best guess.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 06/04/19 at 11:17:45

I finally got that photo to appear.

That may well be someone's build inspired by the Decware Taboo Mk III, but that is NOT a Decware Taboo Mk III nor as Will notes does it look as if it were built by Steve. It is not using Decware output transformers, nor frame, chassis, connectors, and design layout.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Yoshimitsu
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 06/04/19 at 17:32:50

Lon was right, i contacted the guy that sold me the amp and it turns out it's not an original Taboo MKIII, it has been built based on the original drawings and parts list (that's what he told me).

I followed Donnie's advice and plugged in my Galaxy S7 phone, with an RCA to 3.5mm adapter cable.

There was no noise, except when i paused a song or closed the music app there was some noise present that would disappear after 3 seconds ca.

There was no static noise when using another amp or my soundcard directly, only with SVN enabeld.

Well i thank you all for the support. I will order an external DAC.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/04/19 at 17:52:54

When you're looking at DACs, I would suggest looking at the Audioquest Red Dragonfly.  I have had one for years and when streaming music or video from my computer, it's always in place before my preamp, headphone amp or ear phones.  Does a great job for very little money.  Reading about your setup, I think it would fit in nicely. I also use an extension toggle out of the USB port...I never could get used to just having the DAC Stick hanging out of the USB waiting for me to snap it off.  I bought mine at Amazon.  Mark.

PS...the headphone Amp I'm speaking of is a Taboo MK III used with Audeze LCD 2 headphones.

https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-red

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Yoshimitsu
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 07/01/19 at 21:21:20

Small update on this issue.

I ordered the DAC and the issue stayed. It turned that the problem is a ground loop, this can happen when there are multiple grounds from different devices, i dont know the exact technical explanation, but somehow when there are multiple grounds they start to interfere with each other and then that noise gets transmitted through USB.

To solve that problem i will need to buy a USB isolator with galvanic iisolation. Most of them are specifically made to break ground loops and clean the usb signal.

A balanced connection would also solve that problem, but my amp doesnt have balanced inputs.

Best regards

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print