Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:32:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best-sounding SS Amps? (Read 1060 times)
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Best-sounding SS Amps?
05/18/19 at 23:27:16

Normies who hear my hi-fi system love it, but let’s face it they’re not going to make the jump from their $399 HTIB (Home Theatre in a Box) from Best Buy into a high quality and relatively expensive tube-based two-channel system all in one fell swoop. Tubes are just too overwhelming to start with - they need to transition there over time.
Given that, what SS amps sound great and would be a gateway to the valve world?
I recall Steve declared that the only SS amps he liked are the First Watt amps by Nelson Pass.

So, for newcomers or people who refuse to go the tube route - besides the FW amps - are there any other SS amps that approach tube-like smoothness, warmth, tone, etc.?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Best-sounding SS Amps?
Reply #1 - 05/19/19 at 00:00:37

I don't know what to recommend from current suppliers . . . I haven't heard an impressive solid state amplifier in a while. I really did enjoy the sound of a Coda Technologies amp when I heard it more than a decade ago. Low powered and sounded mellow and yet detailed.

I think that Steve's solid state ZKIT60 amp (that it is reported has only sold one amp so far!) would be a genuine contender. There are reportedly several made and waiting to ship, and they even have two for sale on eBay.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZKIT60.html

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/19/19 at 01:30:27

'I agree woth Lon on this recommendation. It has truly great wound and, especially at the price point, one could not go wrong. Audio by VanAlstine has same/similar sounding amps and even some tube hybrids.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/19/19 at 13:33:13

couple i've heard and love.

the zkit at decfest (would like to hear it in an actual room).  i liked it in the 3sided storage shed however!

all the first watt stuff.

vintage:  Sumo Nine (wish i never let mine go).  problem with these is you'll definitely have to go thru them... =$$$.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/19/19 at 15:59:20

I read this forum 3-4 times per week and amazingly I had no knowledge of the ZKit60.
I just checked it out and it looks like an excellent product!

Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/20/19 at 14:02:51

I have heard good things about First Watt although they are likely $$$$$.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/21/19 at 02:15:08

I owned a First Watt F4 clone and it was the best sounding, quietest SS amp I've owned. I ran it with a high gain tube preamp and it was glorious up to the limits of its power. I ultimately decided my Druids needed more power, so now I have a lower gain tube preamp and a Torii MkIV. I don't doubt the higher power First Watt amps sound great, but they were never in the budget.

IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/21/19 at 04:30:12

Hi All,

Regarding the ZKIT60.  Forum member dank was gracious enough to have me up to his home for almost half a week where we had audio splendors abound.  We listened to varieties of music for extended periods daily on the ZKIT60 and it performed superbly.  Never strident and completely at home with everything that was thrown at it.  He has built a pair of modified Decware Corner Horns and we listened predominantly to the ZKIT60 with those cabinets.  The corner horns allow for a multitude of drivers to be used and Dan generously made baffles for a multitude of drivers.  We were able to test out at least 4 pair and over all had a wonderful time.  But back to the ZKIT60.  It is a worthwhile endeavor and performs highly.  When I have time and a bit of extra cash I plan to build one.  I base my listening experience against my Torii IV and my SE84UFO25!  It's a worthwhile Solid State amplifier for sure Wink

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
markv

Reply #8 - 05/21/19 at 17:19:34

Hello - I really like the sound on my refurbished Adcom GFA-555 amp.  A few years ago I had it rebuilt and converted to dual mono.  I have it paired with Omega Super 3 SRX  speakers.  This amp is a Nelson Pass design and I remember reading at the time in Audiophile (back in 1987) how tube like it sounded at the time compared to other SS Amps.    I would characterize the sound as liquid and dynamic.

Here's a write from the fellow who rebuilt my amp:

https://hoppesbrain.com/2017/02/15/a-custom-super-high-current-gfa-555-dual-mono...

Although I'm satisfied with my Adcom, my ultimate goal is to get me a Decware Zen Triode 25th Anniversary Amplifier and stop lurking around this site - like for the past 18 or so years!!

Mark

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/21/19 at 22:50:23

SS that has tubelike smoothness, warmth, and tone?
LFD amps fit that description perfectly!  But like any amp, they need a well matched system to show that what they are all about.  While trying to figure out what the issues are with my Torii Jr, I’ve thrown my SS LFD NCSE into my main system.  It is being fed by aCSP3-25, driving PAP Quintet horns, and creating what is probably the most beautiful music I’ve heard in 47 years of this hobby.  I’d put it up against any of the many SET and PP amps I have owned.  Though in in all fairness, it was far more expensive than the other amps, and it’s more expensive than any First Watt or Decware stereo amp.  It is an extremely musical amplifier.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/22/19 at 13:18:44

I always enjoyed my Odyssey Cyclops, which is the Khartago with volume control. I have the Extreme SE version with upgraded power supply. Lovely sound .. just a touch on the warmer side of neutral in my estimation. I'd likely still be using it if I didn't go down the SET/single-driver speaker path. Odyssey (and Klaus himself) has garnered much praise from users and critics over the years not only for their sound quality but also their incredible value. Reminds me of Steve/Decware in that regard. Klaus is one of the good guys.

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/23/19 at 01:26:56

I used to own a Pass Aleph 5 amp to drive my electrostatic speakers (Martin Logan CLS IIZ).  It was a single ended Mosfet amp and sounded almost tube like. It had a very sweet top end and mid range. I remember right about the 40-45 minute mark, the sound stage would open up slowly but dramatically. It was by far, the nicest SS amp I ever owned.

My little Zen amp and Zu Dirty Weekend speakers thrill and satisfy me in ways the older, much more expensive combination never could. I am quite happy at present.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/24/19 at 04:08:25

Speaking of British amps - like the LFD that Doug mentioned - when I have run across this issue discussed elsewhere, Sugden - though not well known in the US - is frequently mentioned and highly praised as one of the best-sounding SS amps available.
Especially the venerable A21 which is a pure Class A, zero negative feedback, single-ended topography amp that has been in production since 1967, and IIRC is built by hand.

Anybody have any experience with Sugden?

Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Tabata6T
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 07/06/19 at 11:59:58

Solid-state amplifiers can be just as good, and digital modelling amps.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print