Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 22:21:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TORII Jr. or TORII MKIV (Read 4249 times)
Rick
Verified Member

TORII Jr. or TORII MKIV
05/08/19 at 22:30:06

I have not had a tube amp since the early 1970s and ended up with a home theater system that is great for HT but really pathetic for 2 channel.  Since I gave up TV and sold my HT system I need to get back to good 2 channel.  I have Klipsch Forte III speakers and an RME ADI-2 DAC and a turntable.  I have been looking at the TORII MK IV and the TORII Jr.  What are the advantages of the MK IV and/or disadvantages of the Jr.  I would love to get the MK IV but a thousand dollars is a lot of cash.  Your thoughts?

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: TORII Jr. or TORII MKIV
Reply #1 - 05/08/19 at 23:11:44

The Torii Jr. has plenty of power for the Klipsch Forte III's. I suggest looking at 25th Anniversary upgrades, you won't be sorry. You'll be so happy.😃

At 99dB, really any of the Decware amps will drive those speakers.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Rick
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/08/19 at 23:31:26

Where do I add the upgrades?  I will definitely do that.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 05/08/19 at 23:36:35

There's a "Notes" field in the checkout process I believe and you can request the mods there, and Sarah will see that and process accordingly (will likely email you with the additional charge). Or you can call Sarah and accomplish it that way.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/09/19 at 19:32:36

Rick, depending on your room and how loud you like to listen, with those Fortes, you might be able to drop down to the 6wpc SE34I.5 (aka Rachael). Or even the 2wpc Super Zen Triode.
And with the savings, load it up with all the upgrades you want.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Joey

Reply #5 - 05/09/19 at 20:18:30

I have cornwalls in my 25 by 32' weight room and the UFO2 with bluesound node drives them to euphoric levels even with the treadmill on.

IP Logged
Rick
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 05/10/19 at 13:05:01

Is there a difference in sound quality between the Jr. and the other amps like the Rachel?

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/10/19 at 15:32:16

Rick, based upon what I recall Steve said - he doesn’t utilize a Good, Better, Best approach - whereby as you spend more and more money you get ever higher levels of sound quality.
Steve voices all his amps to have his signature Decware sound. What you primarily get as you move up the line is more power.
The mode by which a buyer can improve sound quality is via the various upgrades and options - e.g. beewax caps, etc.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/10/19 at 19:28:38

You should choose an amp based on power, budget, features, and tube types used in my opinion. All of them will sound good. A good source helps as well. The amp most likely not be the weak link in your system.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print